Big Doesn't Equal Good

I have my concerns about Wallace. He seems to have attendance problems, and may have got caught up in the drug trade in the past.

I think this video discussing his prospects says enough:

(there's some bad language here, so NSFW)

CODY WALLACE CENTER TEXAS A&M

the reason for a big wr is so he can

get the jump balls

reach further for fade outs and comebacks

use his body to screen the d on slants and inside routes

be physical at the line and block cbs

take a toll on smaller dbs so they have to take different positions to cover different passes (as the big body makes playing straight up hard).

of course the skills to play at the highest level are rare, size is rare, and together they are even more rare.

overall every O really does need at least one big (or at least physical if not big) wr to post up on guys and run the corners and slants.

we don't have that at all.

very well said. I might add, we need that very bad

What many here miss and many experts miss, is the deceptiveness of big WR's and the 40 yard dash. I'm a very small example of this, playing a few years at the small college level. No I'm not big, only 6'0, but I have good timed speed in the 40. I have very long legs, and run fast in a straight line. My problem always was acceleration, and agility. Tall people, and long legged people can, and often will post decent 40 times. Some even great 40 times. They have a stride that covers significantly more area then the stride of a shorter/shorter legged player. This is the exact reason many of the 6'3+ types, who run fast, and get drafted high, fail. They just don't have appropriate football speed for the next level, which is just as much about timed speed, as it is agility, acceleration, and balance. Matt Jones is the definition of this type of player. James Hardy is this years definition of this type of player. The last few years dozens of "fast" big receivers have been drafted to high for this reason.

Size does matter for a WR, because a bigger, taller receiver can do things a smaller player can't do. The thing is, it's only an advantage if you have football speed. Size and football speed together is a very rare combination. IMHO the only big WR in this draft who has both is Malcolm Kelly, which is why I've been such a proponent of his. I've watched enough film on him to know he does have football speed. As long as his injuries check out and he doesn't totally suck in his 40, I would take him at 11 all day long, and twice on Saturday.

What many here miss and many experts miss, is the deceptiveness of big WR's and the 40 yard dash. I'm a very small example of this, playing a few years at the small college level. No I'm not big, only 6'0, but I have good timed speed in the 40. I have very long legs, and run fast in a straight line. My problem always was acceleration, and agility. Tall people, and long legged people can, and often will post decent 40 times. Some even great 40 times. They have a stride that covers significantly more area then the stride of a shorter/shorter legged player. This is the exact reason many of the 6'3+ types, who run fast, and get drafted high, fail. They just don't have appropriate football speed for the next level, which is just as much about timed speed, as it is agility, acceleration, and balance. Matt Jones is the definition of this type of player. James Hardy is this years definition of this type of player. Threw out the last few years dozens of "fast" big receivers have been drafted to high for this reason.

Size does matter for a WR, because a bigger, taller receiver can do things a smaller player can't do. The thing is, it's only an advantage if you have football speed. Size and football speed together is a very rare combination. IMHO the only big WR in this draft who has both is Malcolm Kelly, which is why I've been such a proponent of his. I've watched enough film on him to know he does have football speed. As long as his injuries check out and he doesn't totally suck in his 40, I would take him at 11 all day long, and twice on Saturday.

Amen!

The only negative I can see in him is that he rounds routes off, but he is so smooth and talented that he can get away with it in college. He'll just have to work harder at it in the NFL. A guy like Edwards is great for Kelly, because Kelly has a great short burst once the ball is in the air. Edwards will trust that he can get open and throw the ball before he breaks. In watching his video, there were many times he didn't look open, then pow...enough separation for a clean shot at the ball.

Did you watch much of Keenan Burton? He isn't 1st round material, but he looks to me like he does everything well. Maybe late 3rd or early 4th. He seems like a leader and a smart special teams guy. Bring him in as a #5 and watch him sneak up the depth chart the next few years.

Amen!

The only negative I can see in him is that he rounds routes off, but he is so smooth and talented that he can get away with it in college. He'll just have to work harder at it in the NFL. A guy like Edwards is great for Kelly, because Kelly has a great short burst once the ball is in the air. Edwards will trust that he can get open and throw the ball before he breaks. In watching his video, there were many times he didn't look open, then pow...enough separation for a clean shot at the ball.

Did you watch much of Keenan Burton? He isn't 1st round material, but he looks to me like he does everything well. Maybe late 3rd or early 4th. He seems like a leader and a smart special teams guy. Bring him in as a #5 and watch him sneak up the depth chart the next few years.

I saw a few Kentucky games this year, liked Burton as more of a middle round guy, like you said, somebody who could be developed.

As for your point on Kelly I couldn't agree more. Edwards has west coast QB written all over him (probably why Walsh liked him so much). Kelly has West Coast WR written all over him. He's not the YAC guy Andre Reed was (few will ever be), but he's tough as nails on those slant routes, and does provide some YAC and major RZ upgrades. His body control and hands are out of this world. Recently Jauron discussed more three step drops, and quick throws. I expect the progression of this offense to be very timing based, stressing YAC. Will we come out and say it's a true west coast offense? Probably not, but it's a system that would seem to compliment our players and the inclement weather we face late in the year. Throw in our RB's who can catch, and the many suitable receiving FB's in the draft and it makes even more sense.