Anyone in the military have an opinion?

What (if any) is the signifance of an Army Lt. General replacing a Navy Admiral as the head of U.S. Central Command?

I don't know enough about this to venture an opinion, but I am wondering if this is just politics. I'd like to hear what you think.

What (if any) is the signifance of an Army Lt. General replacing a Navy Admiral as the head of U.S. Central Command?

I don't know enough about this to venture an opinion, but I am wondering if this is just politics. I'd like to hear what you think.

Not in the military...but my understanding of the joint commands is that they're intended to be run by an officer of any service, so it's probably not that big a deal.

Plus, in this case, I believe Dempsey was Fallon's deputy, so command falls naturally to him as Fallon leaves without an appointed successor, which would make it even more a non-issue.

Not in the military...but my understanding of the joint commands is that they're intended to be run by an officer of any service, so it's probably not that big a deal.

Plus, in this case, I believe Dempsey was Fallon's deputy, so command falls naturally to him as Fallon leaves without an appointed successor, which would make it even more a non-issue.

Correct. Joint command billets rotate among services, and no full-time replacement has been named as yet for CENTCOM. This has been portrayed as a political move because of friction between Fallon and Bush/Gates, but I hear it is more due to disagreements between Petraeus and Fallon regarding how to handle counter-insurgencies in Iraq and Afganistan. I guess Petraeus won.

Correct. Joint command billets rotate among services, and no full-time replacement has been named as yet for CENTCOM. This has been portrayed as a political move because of friction between Fallon and Bush/Gates, but I hear it is more due to disagreements between Petraeus and Fallon regarding how to handle counter-insurgencies in Iraq and Afganistan. I guess Petraeus won.

I'd call that a distiction without a difference.

Not sure what you mean, but there is a big difference between how Fallon favors handling counter-insurgencies and how Petraeus does.

I think he means "General Betray-us is Bush's little lap-dog, therefore Fallon was forced to retire as a political move."

Not that I'm suggesting he's right, mind you...just providing the molson-english translation for you.

I think he means "General Betray-us is Bush's little lap-dog, therefore Fallon was forced to retire as a political move."

Not that I'm suggesting he's right, mind you...just providing the molson-english translation for you.

You two are becoming an old married couple.