ESPN Page 2 "columnist" plays the race-card

Bullpen

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...mp;sportCat=nba

At least she assigns blame to LeBron as well as Vogue. Maybe this whole NCAA coverage has me ramped up for no good reason and I'm on bit...

This type of "journalism" :P

Your first mistake was clicking on an article written by jemille hill, your second mistake was reading it. When has she written an article that didn't blame whitey for something?

If I were Lebron, I'd be upset at Hill for typing this gem:

"LeBron's image clearly means a lot to him, maybe even as much as pursuing a championship."

What kind of sports "journalist" types that? Good lord. She can't understand why a professional athlete and a super model might be depicted differently on a magazine cover? She can't fathom that maybe the contrast was intentional, given that one is a MODEL and one is an ATHLETE? Again, good lord. James is doing anything on that cover that he or any other professional athlete (black, white, Asian, whatever) hasn't done hundreds of times during a game.

Your first mistake was clicking on an article written by jemille hill, your second mistake was reading it. When has she written an article that didn't blame whitey for something?

Exactly, but sometimes the page 2 section of that website (with Hll, Jackson and my personal fave "the sports guy") is like a bad car accident, I can't help but look to see what drivel is being written this week.

Exactly, but sometimes the page 2 section of that website (with Hll, Jackson and my personal fave "the sports guy") is like a bad car accident, I can't help but look to see what drivel is being written this week.

i like page 2 as well, i just can't stand the drivel she spews about race. I mean an entire article about this?

I'll read stuff from the spots guy/gal, uni watch, straight cash homey, and a few others any day of the week.

Before opening this thread I thought for sure the author would be Jason Whitlcok.

Very easily could have been, they're pretty much interchangable aren't they? With the exception Hill will occassionally play the double-trump race AND sexism card.

Love some features like Uniwatch, Sports Gal, straight cash and some of Burkheit's stuff, but then there's Hill, Jackson, Sports Gay Guy and Whitlock that are the d-bags that make Page 2 a car wreck that I can't help but look at. Sports Guy being quite possibly the most polarizing "columnist/Boston ball washer" in all of ESPN-land. He can not... CAN NOT write a single article without working a Boston team, his father's opinion and a karate kid reference into it. Okay! We get it, you have a wealth of 80's pop-culture trivia in your brain, enough!

Anyway, that was quite the tangent I got on... Jamele Hill, trying to incite more racial waves than Rev Jesse on a good day.

I've had the misfortune of reading Hill the last few years, when she was a regular columist for the Orlando Sentinel. Not a big fan of her work, because IMO (and obviously others) she works the race angle way too hard. This column is just more of the same, IMO.

But I have to disagree about Whitlock. He's one of the guys who doesn't pull the race card just to pull it, and writes articles and columns of substance. Until he left ESPN he was one of the few Page 2 columnists I read regularly, and I still check in on his Fox Sports stuff from time to time.

FWIW - Whitlock is now at Fox Sports, and hasn't been with ESPN since fall 2006. He was fired in September '06 for making some unkind comments about Scoop Jackson and Mike Lupica, and after leaving ESPN he hooked up with AOL Sports before leaving for Fox Sports.

Very easily could have been, they're pretty much interchangable aren't they? With the exception Hill will occassionally play the double-trump race AND sexism card.

Love some features like Uniwatch, Sports Gal, straight cash and some of Burkheit's stuff, but then there's Hill, Jackson, Sports Gay Guy and Whitlock that are the d-bags that make Page 2 a car wreck that I can't help but look at. Sports Guy being quite possibly the most polarizing "columnist/Boston ball washer" in all of ESPN-land. He can not... CAN NOT write a single article without working a Boston team, his father's opinion and a karate kid reference into it. Okay! We get it, you have a wealth of 80's pop-culture trivia in your brain, enough!

Anyway, that was quite the tangent I got on... Jamele Hill, trying to incite more racial waves than Rev Jesse on a good day.

I admit to being a former Sports Guy addict 4-6 years ago. Don't really care that he likes the teams I hate. To me, part of his appeal was that he came off as a normal sports nut and wasn't too ashamed to admit he watched the Real World or 90210. Since he moved to Hollywood, worked on Kimmel's show, and held a lame intern contest (in which every contestant tried to copy his writing style by using phrases like "prominently involved") - yeah - the novelty has sort of worn off now.

FWIW - Whitlock is now at Fox Sports, and hasn't been with ESPN since fall 2006. He was fired in September '06 for making some unkind comments about Scoop Jackson and Mike Lupica, and after leaving ESPN he hooked up with AOL Sports before leaving for Fox Sports.

:wallbash: I did not know that. wolf, I'll give you the same warning I gave BlueFire earlier today... enough with the correcting me, making rational statement and generally proving me wrong.... SILENCE I SAY, or the next sound you'll hear is "help is on the way Mr. Wolf." :)

I admit to being a former Sports Guy addict 4-6 years ago. Don't really care that he likes the teams I hate. To me, part of his appeal was that he came off as a normal sports nut and wasn't too ashamed to admit he watched the Real World or 90210. Since he moved to Hollywood, worked on Kimmel's show, and held a lame intern contest (in which every contestant tried to copy his writing style by using phrases like "prominently involved") - yeah - the novelty has sort of worn off now.

It just seems like he's got too many "crutches" in his writing style. I've worked in the news-writing business (albeit in a military newspaper) so I know sometimes you just aren't feeling it and kind of fall back on the easy cliches. But it seems like his basic formula is "insert obscure 80s movie reference, write a bit, insert Boston analogy, write a bit, name drop some 'famous' people you know, write a bit, insert lame joke about your buddies you used to drink with all the time... rinse and repeat with an anecdote about talking to your dad on the phone."

Wow, I need to go watch the tournament or something, I'm on quite a rant today... sorry fellas... :)

:wallbash: I did not know that. wolf, I'll give you the same warning I gave BlueFire earlier today... enough with the correcting me, making rational statement and generally proving me wrong.... SILENCE I SAY, or the next sound you'll hear is "help is on the way Mr. Wolf." :)

:wallbash:

I'm trying to work on the whole "making rational statements" thing. Maybe I'll go over to the main board and get all fired up about why the Bills didn't sign Bryant Johnson and start railing against the front office. That should strip any semblance of rationality from my posts. :)

:lol:

I'm trying to work on the whole "making rational statements" thing. Maybe I'll go over to the main board and get all fired up about why the Bills didn't sign Bryant Johnson and start railing against the front office. That should strip any semblance of rationality from my posts. :thumbsup:

Interesting enough, the article isn't listed on the page 2 car-wreck mainpage today. Normally those featured writers articles stay up for at least 2 or 3 days before being archived. :unsure:

Maybe enough reader feedback prompted them to move it already?