With the 11th pick

I am almost positive the first 3 picks will go WR, and then CB and TE in the next two rounds based on what player at one of those two positions they have rated highest will determine which is taken first. I agree with this, but one thing that would deter me fron this scenario would be if Derrick Harvey or Sedrick Ellis is sitting there at the #11 pick. In that case I would put CB on hold for another year.

Ok, I don't think we are taking a WR with pick #11. It's gotta be a CB.

There are so many big WR's out there. It just seems to me that if I'm the Bills FO, I'm looking for a guy who has the most experience in actual games. The top 3 aren't convincing me of that...(Sweed, Kelly, Devin Thomas especially). Too bad James Hardy has a mark against his character record. I would take a guy like Adarius Bowman if teams let him slide to round 2. The knock was drops at the Sr. Bowl parctices.....listen to Allen Iverson, man. Let the others be enamoured by great 40's and workouts. When it comes to a WR, gimme game experience and consistent production any time.

An edge rusher would be great, but he better be better than Schobel...and I don't think a rookie is going to be right away. That's just me being realistic.

DT....we have invested heavily here recently. McCargo in RD 1, now we bring in Stroud and Johnson. I just don't see a first rounder spent here. No way KC lets Sedrick Ellis get by them, so forget about that wet dream, as I have seen in a couple mocks.

So, now that we have done away with the silly fascination of WR and the respectable wish for a DE and DT, we turn our attention to the real need.

CB.

If Jenkins falls to us, you gotta take him. That's who I'm guessing the pick is.

Thoughts?

I think we're gonna trade down. I WANT the Bills to go after Dallas's two 1st round picks. 2 WRs!

I do not pick a CB with the #11 because I put to high a priority on improving our pass defense and being able to deal with challenge of Moss/Welker to waste a 1st round pick to get the best CB in the draft.

Say what?

Folks need to understand I think the way we use the CB in our Cover 2 (which is more like a Tampa 2) base D scheme. Even if you ascribe to the technical definition of our coaches that we only run the traditional cover 2 25% of the time, when you take into account that the 75% includes use of a non-traditional Cover 2 like our Tampa 2 esque model, plays in the redzone where there is not enough space to run the traditional cover 2, short yardage or hail Mary down and distance where the Cover 2 is inappropriate, the facts remain that our D does not use CBs in the traditional shutdown corner method.

If your goal is to improve our pass protection, the first thing we need to do is develop more penetration and pressure from our DL (the Stroud pick-up and the Johnson pick-up to give us a more effective rotation than the Triplett model). The second thing we need to do is get better pressure and tackling from our LBs (we hope Pos made use of his bench time to learn more from seeing how an NFL offense is called and defensed and Mitchell will increase the pressure), the third thing we need to do to improve our pass coverage is get our safeties to play a better game as they have the primary downfield coverage duty on WRs (we hope Whitner will break out in his third year, Simpson will recover from the injury which landed him on IR and that Wilson will improve a lot after playing as a starting safety for the first time.

Drafting a good CB actually weighs in well behind these other three items in improving our pass D as the CB has short zone coverage but only covers a WR all over the field when we switch our D call to a standard scheme which we do rarely but sometimes. Even in this case the difficult thing for a CB to do is to make the same read and adjustments as the MLB and the rest of the D (McGee had big problems making the same read as the rest pf the crew year before last and got benched to adjust his play). However, if the CB makes the correct read, even a pedestrian CB like a Greer and certainly a guy with speed like McGee can cover a WR on a fly pattern. In fact, since we have the ability when we switch to the CB downfield coverage model to give him some help over the top if necessary, this switch need is not a big issue for us.

In fact, it is easily arguable that getting a top flight CB will do less for our pass protection production than actually drafting a player to improve the offense so that we have fewer three and outs and folks like Moss/Welker are just on the field less because our offense is improved.

I would not draft a CB in the first because my sense is this does a lot less to improve our pass defense than other selections.

Ok, I don't think we are taking a WR with pick #11. It's gotta be a CB.

There are so many big WR's out there. It just seems to me that if I'm the Bills FO, I'm looking for a guy who has the most experience in actual games. The top 3 aren't convincing me of that...(Sweed, Kelly, Devin Thomas especially). Too bad James Hardy has a mark against his character record. I would take a guy like Adarius Bowman if teams let him slide to round 2. The knock was drops at the Sr. Bowl parctices.....listen to Allen Iverson, man. Let the others be enamoured by great 40's and workouts. When it comes to a WR, gimme game experience and consistent production any time.

An edge rusher would be great, but he better be better than Schobel...and I don't think a rookie is going to be right away. That's just me being realistic.

DT....we have invested heavily here recently. McCargo in RD 1, now we bring in Stroud and Johnson. I just don't see a first rounder spent here. No way KC lets Sedrick Ellis get by them, so forget about that wet dream, as I have seen in a couple mocks.

So, now that we have done away with the silly fascination of WR and the respectable wish for a DE and DT, we turn our attention to the real need.

CB.

If Jenkins falls to us, you gotta take him. That's who I'm guessing the pick is.

Thoughts?

Why would anyone want to do defense? Can we just ignore the fact that we scored like 11 touchdowns last year?

But the Giants beat the pats* last year, we MUST over-react and select nothing but d linemen. Offence is meaningless. Despite the fact that the giants Used high picks on Jacobs, S. Smith, E. manning, Shockey, and spent a boatload of money on Plax.....

to go along with ya there pyrite ..Im hopeing with the new additions to D and maybe a good DT from draft we can let whitner be a safety and reduce his haveing to stop the run duty...if we can let him actually cover WR's instead of haveing to keep comeing up to act as another DLman the secondary might get better

Why would anyone want to do defense? Can we just ignore the fact that we scored like 11 touchdowns last year?

Because Best players available in this years draft are defensive players. The wr's aren't that good, we don't need a rb. We're not getting Matt Ryan, and we don't need an ot. None of the te's are worth the 11th pick either. However there's a lot of defensive players available, who are worth top 15 consideration, Several corners like Jenkins/Cromartie/Talib. LB Keith Rivers, as well as defensive end Derrick Harvey. Where as all these wr's are just not that good, and won't improve anymore, then a lot of the receivers who will be available in 2nd-4th rds. It's a bunch of the same kind of big, questionable speed receivers this year. None are overly impressive.

You don't overdraft for the sake of need. As much as our offense sucked last year, they were also hardly on the field, because our defense was even worse. Everyone can still salivate over some "tall wr" picked in the 2nd rd, cause he'll give you the same impact, as any of the wideouts picked mid-late 1st. Where as, another derrick harvey, or drc may not be around, to help our awful defense. Besides with 8 picks maybe 10 if we get comp picks. There's plenty of time for offensive help.