Signing W. Holdman (LB) or any other UFA will cost us...

TDRupp

Without rushing to judgement on whether it is a good or bad move, signing W. Holdman (LB) or any other UFA will cost us a pick or decrease the value of one in compensatory picks in 2008...

Right now we have signed 3 (all OL's on day 1 of Free Agency) and with Davis going to Houston, we have lost 4 UFA's. That means that based on a net loss we would probably get something in comp. picks in 2008.

Marv and company must weigh whether the signee is as important as that pick. My gut tells me that if there is a 40% (just a guesstimate) chance of the guy being cut before opening day, then we don't sign the guy and let the draft picks and other guys battle with older veterans around b/c a 5th or 6th or whatever we get next year can be very valuable.

Peace! Go Sabres! Go Bills!

Without rushing to judgement on whether it is a good or bad move, signing W. Holdman (LB) or any other UFA will cost us a pick or decrease the value of one in compensatory picks in 2008...

Right now we have signed 3 (all OL's on day 1 of Free Agency) and with Davis going to Houston, we have lost 4 UFA's. That means that based on a net loss we would probably get something in comp. picks in 2008.

Marv and company must weigh whether the signee is as important as that pick. My gut tells me that if there is a 40% (just a guesstimate) chance of the guy being cut before opening day, then we don't sign the guy and let the draft picks and other guys battle with older veterans around b/c a 5th or 6th or whatever we get next year can be very valuable.

Peace! Go Sabres! Go Bills!

I have to agree with you, but whatever the situation maybe i think they will do the right thing.

I have to agree with you, but whatever the situation maybe i think they will do the right thing.

I hope so. Signees like Eddie Robinson or Tutan Reyes at this point in the off-season can be costly in terms of comp. picks. I hope they don;t lose sight of that b/c look at what we got in the 5th (starting DT) and 6th (starying OLB) round last year. I know nothing is a gaurantee but a 5th or 6th CAN (can is a key word) be huge and not just a basic or "good" starter...

who cares? if we win 1 or even 2 games this year because of this.it is a homerun.you want to win now ,but not mortgage the future.i doubt picking up a depth player and not getting a 5th round extra pick will really hurt the bills the next season.go bills in"07

i'm not worried about a compensatory pick for 2008.

Picks are picks guys.

If we sign a guy and cut him or never play him I argue it would not be at all worth it this year b/c it WILL afffect the Bills in 2008 and beyond.

So, you just want to throw that extra 3rd rounder Balt gave us in '08 for Willis McG back to them. Boy, maybe you should go ask Daniel Snyder for a job in the front office, b/c you might have a future with them... :lol:

Picks are picks guys.

If we sign a guy and cut him or never play him I argue it would not be at all worth it this year b/c it WILL afffect the Bills in 2008 and beyond.

So, you just want to throw that extra 3rd rounder Balt gave us in '08 for Willis McG back to them. Boy, maybe you should go ask Daniel Snyder for a job in the front office, b/c you might have a future with them... :lol:

a comp pick is not a 3rd. if the team does well with the free agents it signs it is also no loss to not get extra picks.you get comp picks from losing more players then you gain.so what you are saying is the only way to make the team good is to get extra low round picks?no if we sign good players to fill holes that we are not in position to draft,or to sign a player that can be used for depth now.i think the now would be better then a player to help the team in 2008.it is not throwing away picks because if you are good you do not need the extra picks.and how do you bring in our trade that got us our extra 3rd rounder?no one ever said we do not want picks .we said we are not going to not sign players in fear of not getting extra picks.......very big difference.go bills in"07