I Think People Should Get Comfortable

What I mean by this is that the new regime has really put the whole "type" of player ahead of the majority favorite. There could be another linebacker or personality type that appease to Marv and Co. other than Patrick Willis. Do I think they would pass on Patrick Willis if he was there at 12? I doubt it but my point is that I would not be suprised if they picked a different LB that really fits THEIR system to a tee. (maybe that is Willis)

It has become very clear that the master plan is under way and they have the remaining pieces already in mind. I have accepted the fact (and like it) that whoever they let go, pick up, draft etc.., there is a darn good reason for it. One of my main problems with this team over the past few years is that there has been ZERO identity. Well, this is fast becoming a youthful, team oriented group of guys out there. You don't want to be on this team, GET OUT! Time for new leadership to step up and move forward!!

;):wallbash:

What I mean by this is that the new regime has really put the whole "type" of player ahead of the majority favorite. There could be another linebacker or personality type that appease to Marv and Co. other than Patrick Willis. Do I think they would pass on Patrick Willis if he was there at 12? I doubt it but my point is that I would not be suprised if they picked a different LB that really fits THEIR system to a tee. (maybe that is Willis)

It has become very clear that the master plan is under way and they have the remaining pieces already in mind. I have accepted the fact (and like it) that whoever they let go, pick up, draft etc.., there is a darn good reason for it. One of my main problems with this team over the past few years is that there has been ZERO identity. Well, this is fast becoming a youthful, team oriented group of guys out there. You don't want to be on this team, GET OUT! Time for new leadership to step up and move forward!!

Correct, YOUTHFUL, and just look what youth is doing for our Sabres !

Thats what I like aboutMarv and DJ, they are not changing their systems to work around players they could bring in, they are finding players that fit their system and bringing them in. You know that if they like a guy, and are bringing them in, the guy fits their system.

Thats what I like aboutMarv and DJ, they are not changing their systems to work around players they could bring in, they are finding players that fit their system and bringing them in. You know that if they like a guy, and are bringing them in, the guy fits their system.

Sometimes this doesnt work due to gross misjudgement on somebodys part. Luckily marvs track record to this point is pretty good. Sometimes a team will load up on "system" guys only to fire the coach 24 months later. Thankfully this does not appear to be the case in Buffalo right now. Even if we falter next year theres no way DJ gets axed, unless we are like 1-15. Marv doesnt believe in spur-of-the-moment coach firings as seen in his book. Currently I would describe my feelings about the Bills offseason as optimistic but slightly nervous.

Sometimes this doesnt work due to gross misjudgement on somebodys part. Luckily marvs track record to this point is pretty good. Sometimes a team will load up on "system" guys only to fire the coach 24 months later. Thankfully this does not appear to be the case in Buffalo right now. Even if we falter next year theres no way DJ gets axed, unless we are like 1-15. Marv doesnt believe in spur-of-the-moment coach firings as seen in his book. Currently I would describe my feelings about the Bills offseason as optimistic but slightly nervous.

Exactly how I feel as well. Nervous is not always bad. I think the season will only get better as it goes along....

Here goes, but last season Jauron implemented the Cover-2, he was talking about being faster and quicker on defense, particularly the front 7. That's fine, but the Cover-2 is beaten by an effective rushing game, as evidenced in severak games last season. So while I'm sure they know some things about players like Spikes, D. Walker, and others on their draft board, you still must have players with enough size to shed blocks. Undersized players like Cato June, and perhaps Keith Ellison can thrive with good instincts and speed, but speed alone does not win matchups against quicker and stronger players. Those D-Lineman must free up the LB's to make tackles.

I realize quickness and speed aren't the same thing, but they are somewhat similar and not always necessarily interchangeable.

Here goes, but last season Jauron implemented the Cover-2, he was talking about being faster and quicker on defense, particularly the front 7. That's fine, but the Cover-2 is beaten by an effective rushing game, as evidenced in severak games last season. So while I'm sure they know some things about players like Spikes, D. Walker, and others on their draft board, you still must have players with enough size to shed blocks. Undersized players like Cato June, and perhaps Keith Ellison can thrive with good instincts and speed, but speed alone does not win matchups against quicker and stronger players. Those D-Lineman must free up the LB's to make tackles.

I realize quickness and speed aren't the same thing, but they are somewhat similar and not always necessarily interchangeable.

The cover 2 is not a bad system, it just takes time and the right players to make it work. Both Indy and Chicago use it and they were in the SB with it. Indy had a horrible run D and they turned it around

The cover 2 is not a bad system, it just takes time and the right players to make it work. Both Indy and Chicago use it and they were in the SB with it. Indy had a horrible run D and they turned it around

I recall people describing the Cover-2 as being a defense in which each player must be in the correct position at all times for it to work. The MLB drops into coverage, the WLB and SLB take their zones. The safeties divide the field for the deep ball and the CB's have their areas about 8-15 yards downfield. Meanwhile, the D-Line must place pressure on the QB in order to allow the coverage people on pass plays to remain in their area. Not to mention, the Cover-2 forces a QB to make plenty of accurate passes in the short and intermediate passing game. Peyton Manning didn't beat us deep, but he made enough close passes to defeat the Cover-2 that day. David Carr completed several passes against us, but thankfully we had some late heroics to overcome that.

The cover-2 is extremely precise. It requires system players. It has little margin for error. But running the ball is the key to defeating it. Sports Illustrated had an excellent article about it back in December. Very informative. Of course each team will have their own version, but these are the basics to it. Forcing teams the throw is how you win with the Cover-2. A great example of this was the NFC Title Game in 1999 when Kurt Warner and the Rams managed only 11 points against Tony Dungy's stingy defense. It was enough to win though. Since then, the Cover-2 has become even more popular, though its origins are in the Steel Curtain Defenses of the 70s.

Several teams run a defense associated with the Cover-2, but it's amazing how the 3-4 has made a comeback, because PIT was the only team running it a few years ago. Not saying either one is better than the other, but the 3-4 is more abundant now than 5 years ago.