1st round HB

If Jauron wants to implement the "HB by committee" (or however it's phrased) approach in Buffalo is a 1st round HB necessary, and if so can it work in such a way as to not mess with team chemistry?

All you draft gurus will know the answer to this, will Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch (the only projected 1st rounders that you all seem to talk about) respond well to taking less than 20 carries per game?

It seems that 1st round HB's have a need to be in the spotlight and receive all the handoffs?

I guess it deals with personality.

Yeah it can be done simply looking at the teams that use rbbc or dual rb's.

New Orleans- Bush/Mcallister 1st rd picks (Whether this is the direction they wanted to go is questionable but it's what they got so it works)

Chi- Jones/Benson- Benson and Jones were both 1st rd picks. Jones accquired via free agency.

Ne- Dillon/Maroney- Maroney 1st rd pick

Giants- Tiki/Jacobs 2nd and 4th rd pick

Sd- Tomlinson/Turner 1st and 5th rd pick

Dallas- Jones/Barber-2nd and 4th rd picks

RBBC is a good approach, but let's not kid ourselves. You still need that high caliber back to do most of the work and get the majority of the carries but come out to be spelled every now and then or simply riding the hot hand. I know people like to say "Running backs are a dime a dozen" which I simply don't believe. Running and stoping the run are the 2 most essential aspects of the game. Anthony thomas is a nice #2 quality back. He is incapable of being the lead horse in the stable. He has a very limited skill set to offer with no game changing ability. Now I know we probably wont get adrian peterson, but getting someone like Michael Bush/Lynch or Pittman can be just as effective.

Warning, this may be a Dik Smub length post:

Running back by committee has become more popular for several reasons, IMO. The biggest reasons, off the top of my head:

The dearth of GREAT backs

The dearth of complete/all-purpose backs

The short career life-span of an NFL back

The likely hood of injury (and/or diminished effectiveness) during the season

The high cost of a GREAT back at contract renewal time (and the likelihood of losing that back in FA)

Take the factors above (plus many more, I'm sure) and add them to the success achieved by Denver, Kansas City and Pittsburgh and RBBC starts to look pretty tempting as an approach.

I think to make RBBC successful, you need meet a couple of conditions:

A very good (running) O-line

Backs who can produce with relative few reps. Here's where it can get a little tricky. Many backs NEED reps. They just start getting warmed up at 20 carries. Also if the O-line is less than very good, this increases the number of reps the team needs to get the running game going.

As most of the backs drafted into the NFL were the #1 backs on their college (and high school) teams, they are used to getting most of the carries. It's tough to know, sometimes, if a guy used to getting 25+ carries a game can produce with a reduced load. OTOH, the back that actually produced on fewer carries in college may not be able to handle the increased load in the NFL, should he need to become the #1 back.

It also helps to have relatively complete backs, or at least, backs with varied and some overlapping skills. If you have two totally different limited-skill backs, that seems nice sometimes...but, it also gives the defense a tremendous edge as they know the plays that WON'T be run when a certain back is in the game. Kenneth Davis represented a change-of-pace from Thurman, but TT was a pretty complete back and clearly the #1 option. Denver and KC do the same thing no matter who is in the backfield. Parker may have been a different type of back than Bettis, but both could power run up the middle.

I have stated (ad nauseam) "Good Backs are a Dime-a-Dozen". I stand by that assessment, I also agree that a GREAT back makes a huge difference to a team...there are just so few of them available. Also, a lot of great college backs become good NFL backs (few seem to outright suck...hence the dime-a-dozen status of good backs).

So if Lynch REALLY IS another Thurman or Marshall Faulk, take him!

If Adrian Peterson REALLY IS another Eric Dickerson, take him (maybe).

But, if they are likely to be GOOD NFL backs, and/or are the kind of backs that won't succeed with limited carries, we may want to reconsider and help this hurting defense.

Again, I'll trust Marv and his staff to make this call. My guess is Marv goes D with the 1st pick (unless he works some magic to get two #1s again). Remember, he got TT in the 2nd round. And that worked out quite nicely.

I know what you mean. To say that Marv somehow drafted Thurman Thomas is "loony".

In another thread, apuszczalowski posted signs of a "loony thread". They were:

apuszczalowski' date='Mar 16 2007, 09:51 AM' post='943430']Well, it might be, lets go through the checklist of requirements for it to be a loonies thread

1. Crazy Trade for player/Draft Picks has been proposed - CHECK

2. No Link to where this information was found - CHECK

3. Song Lyrics are posted - Check

4. Atleast one poster says something not normal, making you question if their account has been hacked - CHECK

5. Deluca comes back for a reply - CHECK

6. Someone makes reference to how Marv is drafting a 1st round corner - CHECK

7. People's replies show they did not read the full post (probably because of how crazy it was originally) - CHECK

I'm just the messenger here.

BTW, Marv was intimately involved in the draft. Polian and Marv worked as team, from my understanding.

In another thread, apuszczalowski posted signs of a "loony thread". They were:

I'm just the messenger here.

BTW, Marv was intimately involved in the draft. Polian and Marv worked as team, from my understanding.

What can I say. Apu has had a man crush on me for some time.

Back to the topic.

Polian worked with some guys named John Butler, AJ Smith and Dwight Adams. You may have heard of them. Marv is not and has never been a personnel guy.

Back to the topic.

Polian worked with some guys named John Butler, AJ Smith and Dwight Adams. You may have heard of them. Marv is not and has never been a personnel guy.

Marv has ALWAYS been involved, VERY involved with the Bills personnel decisions. The others you mentioned were also part of the team. Marv didn't do the scouting, Marv didn't work the contracts, but you can bet your old wrinkled ass no player was drafted, signed, let go or traded without Marv's knowledge and ultimate consent.

And you can take THAT to the Bank! :lol:

Marv has ALWAYS been involved, VERY involved with the Bills personnel decisions. The others you mentioned were also part of the team. Marv didn't do the scouting, Marv didn't work the contracts, but you can bet your old wrinkled ass no player was drafted, signed, let go or traded without Marv's knowledge and ultimate consent.

Yes, it is quite foolish to say Marv had no opinion in what players were brought in/drafted back in the day.

After Polian left after the 1st Superbowl, Marv was VP of Football OPerations and in ultimate control of personnel.

Back to the topic.

"Everything I know about evaluating talent, I learned from Marv Levy."

2nd time I've had to use this quote from Mr. Polian.

Ever get tired of being wrong?