Why the hate for Tom Donahoe?

stevestojan

I really, really don't get it.

This guys job is to go out and get the people we need on the team.

Unfortunatly, he's a bit too old to put on the pads and get out there himself.

You guys all say you want more of McGahee. Well, guess who GOT YOU MCGAHEE?! He can't force the coaches to play them.

In recent years, he has gotten both Lodon Fletcher and Takeo Spikes to come to a city where I'm not sure I would want to come to if I was a mulitmillion dollar athlete.

He made a TREMENDOUS pick with our first overall this year. In 3 years, Lee Evans will be a top 5 WR in this entire league.

He got you McGahee, remember?

Now, EVERYONE wants Bledsoe gone? Well, without Tom Donohoe drafting Losman, that wouldnt even BE an option in a few weeks. We would be WITHOUT a backup that has any credibility.

He got you Lawyer Millow and Troy Vincent. Do I even need to go any farther than that?

When he got you Bledsoe, you threw a damn party to welcome #11.

Its unfortunate that TD isnt a coach or a player. He's not. His job is to get you the talent you need. He has done that. And no, we dont have a good OLine, so no, he hasnt done his job perfectly, but jesus, he hasnt done it nearly as badly as you guys make it out.

Just look at the names on this roster.

66925[/snapback]

Steve I agree with most of what you wrote. He has brought in good talent, and talented free agents when the Bills aren't exactly an exciting place to go in a lot of guys eyes. Milloy, Vincent, Fletcher, Spikes, Evans, re-signing Moulds, Losman, Sam Adams, etc not a bad team in terms of talent. Also, Big Mike is not a bust no matter what everyone wants to say. It's his third year and if you actually watch him this year he is starting to dominate and dominate a lot on running plays. He manhandled Ty Warren the Pats number 1 draft pick last year. He's opening up holes on his side of the line. Also, can anyone honestly tell me that they predicted Josh Reed would have the dropsies for two years. Tell me at the time of the draft you were upset that in the second round we got the WR named the best receiver in college football! Come on--20/20 hindsight is very nice but doesn't apply in real life. Otherwise I would tell you exactly what stocks to buy, who to date, and every other decision in your life.

Donahoe has made mistakes like every other GM in this league, but he has also provided this team with talent.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

His job is to get you the talent you need. He has done that.....

66925[/snapback]

If you think the names on this roster demonstrate TD has done a good job, then you're suggesting our problem is coaching, which I doubt most would agree with. The sad reality is our D-line (pash rush in particular) is crummy, our secondary mediocre at best, and our O-line unquestionably pathetic.

I truly believe in giving the guy a few years to put together a team, but no NFL team should have a rebuilding process that takes 5+ years.....well, maybe the Cardinals but not the Bills!

My 2 cents...

In retrospect, I think Donahoe is damaged goods.  Some folks here think that Bledsoe is damaged goods because of the number of sacks he's taken etc.  But I really think the Cowher power struggle in Pittsburgh ruined him.

Trying to draft/evaluate players is just one part of the equation.  IMHO, he's got a 25-30% success rate at best in that dept.  But the other part of the equation is that you have to hire a strong willed coach to get players to perform.  Well, guess what - strong willed coaches are gonna butt heads with strong willed GMs.  I think he decided that when he got here that there was going to be a definite hierachy with him at the top.  Marv Levy-Bill Polian and the Belichik-Pioli(Pioli is a Belichik's son-in-law) relationships were/are anomalies.  In today's NFL, the GMs are almost always subservient to the coaches role.

I get the feeling that at One Bills Drive, it's the other way around.  I also think that's part of the reason we haven't had any winning teams in a while.

Charles

67288[/snapback]

In retrospect, I'll bet that Donahoe had the next thing to nothing to do with Pittsburgh's success. Cowher was/is the reason the Steelers were good. Cowher molded the material given into a successful team. Donahoe was around to smirk, act arrogant, and take undue credit.

Another reason people don't like TD is his arrogance, he makes it hard for us fans to like him.

He is embarassed to be part of the Western New York community, he said it! We were wrong as ticket holders to say that Gregg Williams sucked as a head coach.

It's always TD knows everything and no one else knows, or should say, anything. Pure arrogance!

This is where you have it all wrong! It's why you don't get it when it comes to a GM's job. It's also why you asked this question.

Most anyone with half a brain cell in their body can cut players and then replace them with different players.

But not any GM can get the RIGHT players. The players who know how to play football and who best work as a team who can make plays at crucial times to pull out wins.

Any GM can open up the check book and sign the Bledsoe's and Fletcher's and Milloy's and Adams' and Spikes of the world to the team. But getting the right mix of players is the key and it's what separates the top GM's from the wannabee GM's like Donahoe.

I believe that we are handicapped as far as head coaching due to TD. Remember, he lost a power struggle to Cowher in Pittsburgh. Do you think he would REALLY hire a coach with some clout? Heck no. He doesn't want to be out of a job again. He wants to clearly be in charge and have a low-profile HC. . . one that he clearly would not lose a power struggle to. TD is smart enough to realize that most importantly, he doesn't make the same mistake twice. . . he learned his leason the hard way in Pitt.

Guest Angry MAN!!!

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: You know I use to read here because I thought some of you guys were more of the... How do you say [pause] intelligent BB fans but… now I am certain that most of you have taken on the reputation of John Kerry… Flip Flop!!! You bash DB, TH, TD and practically the whole team. Some of the bashing does not come without cause, but take the two dicks out of your ears… dicks that belong to, oh yes Willis McGahee’s and Losman’s, and listen to me…. understand it is not our stars fault!!! Is it their fault that there is no "team" Chemistry at all, so let’s fire TD… DICKS… Here are your complaints TH: fumbles, slips, is not fast enough, misses blocking assignments, can’t catch out of the back field, only rushes for 1400 yards we wanted 2000. Here are my complaints against you: Has Travis fumbled this year… I thought that silence would be your response. I think one of the reasons he has not fumbled is because he is worried about fumbling and here a bunch of breast fed babies in the audience booing him. Here are a few stats for this year Ahman Green has (4) count it.. yes 4 but are they yelling to get rid of him, NO! How about Clinton Portis and McAllister with 4. Or E. James With 2 critical game losing fumbles against NE. Slips *hit happens… Not fast enough everyone who knows football or played… know that speed is not the key to a good back! Blocking is the key to a good back, everything starts up front. There are a few like Barry Sanders who didn’t need good blocking but for the rest, blocking is the most important aspect. Get semi good and he will prove his worth! I think TH is learning a few blocking tricks from Mcgahee. He is starting to cut block more… taking the Blitzer’s legs out. I see that Mcgahee does this all the time. But let's see how we can repay him for a pretty good year... let's bring in a guy who is capable of taking the #1 spot 100% healthy. How much pressure do you think one guy can take... I have been to all of the home games and there are more people waering WM jerseys than TH... Thanks Travis. LETS TALK ABOUT DREW... Drew is who he is, give him the time and he will give you the win!! I think all the successful teams in the league have game plans sculpted around the talent of the players. Our teams offense is very similar to NE, no real Super Stars but their offensive scheme is the best and their discipline is unmatched. Blaming TD…just eat one okay! You can bring talent to a team but you can’t make them get a long and play as a team!!!

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: You know I use to read here because I thought some of you guys were more of the... How do you say [pause] intelligent BB fans but… now I am certain that most of you  have taken on the reputation of John Kerry… Flip Flop!!! You bash DB, TH, TD and practically the whole team. Some of the bashing does not come without cause, but take the two dicks out of your ears… dicks that belong to, oh yes Willis McGahee’s and Losman’s, and listen to me…. understand it is not our stars fault!!! Is it their fault that there is no "team" Chemistry at all, so let’s fire TD… DICKS… Here are your complaints TH: fumbles, slips, is not fast enough, misses blocking assignments, can’t catch out of the back field, only rushes for 1400 yards we wanted 2000. Here are my complaints against you: Has Travis fumbled this year… I thought that silence would be your response. I think one of the reasons he has not fumbled is because he is worried about fumbling and here a bunch of breast fed babies in the audience booing him. Here are a few stats for this year Ahman Green has (4) count it.. yes 4 but are they yelling to get rid of him, NO! How about Clinton Portis and McAllister with 4. Or E. James With 2 critical game losing fumbles against NE. Slips *hit happens… Not fast enough everyone who knows football or played… know that speed is not the key to a good back! Blocking is the key to a good back, everything starts up front. There are a few like Barry Sanders who didn’t need good blocking but for the rest, blocking is the most important aspect. Get semi good and he will prove his worth! I think TH is learning a few blocking tricks from Mcgahee. He is starting to cut block more… taking the Blitzer’s legs out. I see that Mcgahee does this all the time. But let's see how we can repay him for a pretty good year... let's bring in a guy who is capable of taking the #1 spot 100% healthy. How much pressure do you think one guy can take... I have been to all of the home games and there are more people waering WM jerseys than TH... Thanks Travis. LETS TALK ABOUT DREW... Drew is who he is, give him the time and he will give you the win!! I think all the successful teams in the league have game plans sculpted around the talent of the players. Our teams offense is very similar to NE, no real Super Stars but their offensive scheme is the best and their discipline is unmatched. Blaming TD…just eat one okay! You can bring talent to a team but you can’t make them get a long and play as a team!!!

67835[/snapback]

Than it's TD's job to make changes so they DO play as a team.

So Travis Henery and Drew Bledsoe would be doing better if there was better blocking, that's what you are saying, right?

Whose fault is it that the offensive line sucks?

Dude, your logic doen't make any sense.

I really, really don't get it.

Unfortunatly, he's a bit too old to put on the pads and get out there himself.

You guys all say you want more of McGahee. Well, guess who GOT YOU MCGAHEE?! He can't force the coaches to play them.

In recent years, he has gotten both Lodon Fletcher and Takeo Spikes to come to a city where I'm not sure I would want to come to if I was a mulitmillion dollar athlete.

He made a TREMENDOUS pick with our first overall this year. In 3 years, Lee Evans will be a top 5 WR in this entire league.

He got you McGahee, remember?

Now, EVERYONE wants Bledsoe gone? Well, without Tom Donohoe drafting Losman, that wouldnt even BE an option in a few weeks. We would be WITHOUT a backup that has any credibility.

He got you Lawyer Millow and Troy Vincent. Do I even need to go any farther than that?

When he got you Bledsoe, you threw a damn party to welcome #11.

Its unfortunate that TD isnt a coach or a player. He's not. His job is to get you the talent you need. He has done that. And no, we dont have a good OLine, so no, he hasnt done his job perfectly, but jesus, he hasnt done it nearly as badly as you guys make it out.

66925[/snapback]

17-35 Steve........17-35