One more McGahee thread....

Ok, despite all the speculation - one thing is true: The Bills are a young team. Young players are definitely more impressionable than old players. But more importantly, a player in his 3rd or less year is still getting the hang of expectations(what he expects and what is expected) in the league. Right? If that's true, then Marv has done this team a great service by trading McGahee. It sends a clear message to our young team that:

1. Regardless of how much hype you get

2. Regardless of how "talented" you are

3. Regardless of what the "cool club" on the team thinks(trust me - every marginal team has one)

4. Regardless of what you did in one game in 2002

You can be traded/cut/sent packing via FA if: you don't perform each day/it's about you and not the team. I am sure that JP, Lee Evans, Parrish, Whitner, etc. got this message loud and clear. If McGahee can be traded, anybody can. The likes of Nate and London cannot hold this team hostage in terms of "playing for a contract" - we'd rather just let them go. What other teams do/what other teams can offer is irrelevant - the only thing that matters to this team is this team.

The message is: do your job, don't run you mouth, and remember why you are here, or you won't be here. We have now offloaded every locker room lawyer(that I am aware of anyway) and while that may cause some short term holes, it sets up a long term culture of "Football First". Now of course, the table is set, if the Bills team wants to eat, some new leaders will have to emerge to carry this attitude onto the field. But, I have a feeling that is precisely where Marv's favorite value - character - comes into play. Good leaders by definition must have good character. Trust the Marv.

Ok, despite all the speculation - one thing is true: The Bills are a young team. Young players are definitely more impressionable than old players. But more importantly, a player in his 3rd or less year is still getting the hang of expectations(what he expects and what is expected) in the league. Right? If that's true, then Marv has done this team a great service by trading McGahee. It sends a clear message to our young team that:

3. Regardless of what the "cool club" on the team thinks(trust me - every marginal team has one)

You can be traded/cut/sent packing via FA if you don't perform each day/it's about you and not the team. I am sure that JP, Lee Evans, Parrish, Whitner, etc. got this message loud and clear. If McGahee can be traded, anybody can. The likes of Nate and London cannot hold this team hostage in terms of "playing for a contract" - we'd rather just let them go. What other teams do/what other teams can offer is irrelevant - the only thing that matters to this team is this team.

The message is: do you job, don't run you mouth, and remember why you are here, or you won't be here. We have now offloaded every locker room lawyer(that I am aware of anyway) and while that may cause some short term holes, it sets up a long term culture of "Football First". Now of course, the table is set, if the Bills team wants to eat, some new leaders will have to emerge to carry this attitude onto the field. But, I have a feeling that is precisely where Marv's favorite value - character - comes into play. Good leaders by definition must have good character. Trust the Marv.

Well, it is different.

You can be traded/cut/sent packing via FA if you don't perform each day/it's about you and not the team. I am sure that JP, Lee Evans, Parrish, Whitner, etc. got this message loud and clear. If McGahee can be traded, anybody can. The likes of Nate and London cannot hold this team hostage in terms of "playing for a contract" - we'd rather just let them go. What other teams do/what other teams can offer is irrelevant - the only thing that matters to this team is this team.

The message is: do you job, don't run you mouth, and remember why you are here, or you won't be here. We have now offloaded every locker room lawyer(that I am aware of anyway) and while that may cause some short term holes, it sets up a long term culture of "Football First". Now of course, the table is set, if the Bills team wants to eat, some new leaders will have to emerge to carry this attitude onto the field. But, I have a feeling that is precisely where Marv's favorite value - character - comes into play. Good leaders by definition must have good character. Trust the Marv.

I was thinking the exact same thing a few days ago. I think it is a matter of grabbing the players by the balls and saying "There's a new regime in town, and we aren't taking crap or attitude from any of you". I think the philosophy is that if you want to make money or be a super star, go do it somehwere else. This team has no room for "I" or "Me" people.

McGahee is a top 15 RB getting top 5 money. Marv had no choice but to get rid of the cancer on our team. Does it make are team worse at the RB position in 2007? Unless we get a steal late in day one then probably. Does it make us better in 2008 and beyond? Definitley!! We were never going to pay the guy the type of money he wanted.

Yeah, they really showed Willis. He got traded to a 13-3 team to be with his buddies in a bigger city with a new 40 mil contract. Lesson from Marv, screw with me and I'll give you everything you want.

You know that 40 mil isn't guaranteed and you know that Willis is going to be in trouble this year for the same reasons he was in trouble last year - he has lost a step due to his injury. This is football - not baseball - or worse, Fantasy Football, and Willis' window will close a lot faster because of it. Why should anyone care if Willis is with his buddies :pirate: Do you think that goes through the heads of the vast majority of pro athletes as a priority over: 1. Having a job, 2. Winning? What goes through Willis' head, I think we can agree, is an experience only shared by intellectual gods like Brittany Spears.

My point is simple: Marv has made it clear that no one is above getting dropped from the roster and that the Bills are willing to make that move - damn the consequences. This is a good message to send these young guys, regardless of what happens later, because it lets them know exactly where they stand=gains their respect. If they think that Marv, DJ, etc. is willing to tolerate BS because of "how good" they are, sooner or later BS behavior will start to appear; and they won't know what they have to do/can get away with=loses their respect. It's that simple.

The message is: do you job, don't run you mouth, and remember why you are here, or you won't be here. We have now offloaded every locker room lawyer(that I am aware of anyway) .

I get your point but I wonder what message trading Willis actually sent. He was pretty laid back for a "me" guy and came up with his wacky "best rb in the league" and "I didn't know it was 4th down" style quotes when prodded by equally dimwitted local bingo callers. We really shouldn't have taken him so seriously on a weekly basis (or in a monthly like Penthouse). Same goes for his "parting shots". Media savvy, he is not.

He was probably an easy guy to like, in the room and on the field. My guess/hope is that whoever replaces him brings a lot more attitude.

I'm glad you included Roscoe Parrish, if there's one guy on the team who needed to be sent that message it's him.

You can be traded/cut/sent packing via FA if: you don't perform each day/it's about you and not the team. I am sure that JP, Lee Evans, Parrish, Whitner, etc. got this message loud and clear. If McGahee can be traded, anybody can. The likes of Nate and London cannot hold this team hostage in terms of "playing for a contract" - we'd rather just let them go. What other teams do/what other teams can offer is irrelevant - the only thing that matters to this team is this team.

The message is: do your job, don't run you mouth, and remember why you are here, or you won't be here. We have now offloaded every locker room lawyer(that I am aware of anyway) and while that may cause some short term holes, it sets up a long term culture of "Football First". Now of course, the table is set, if the Bills team wants to eat, some new leaders will have to emerge to carry this attitude onto the field. But, I have a feeling that is precisely where Marv's favorite value - character - comes into play. Good leaders by definition must have good character. Trust the Marv.

Great post, well thought out, this is why I love to read this board. I only wish there were more like it posted.

Regardless of whether or not you have a better back to replace him

Regardless of whether or not you have a better back to replace him

Right. Where on Earth will we find a RB that can scamper for 990 yds?

Yeah, they really showed Willis. He got traded to a 13-3 team to be with his buddies in a bigger city with a new 40 mil contract. Lesson from Marv, screw with me and I'll give you everything you want.

1) He'll never see all that money

2) Who cares if he's with his thug friends?

3) The Ravens will not come close 13-3 next year. They're getting too old in key areas.

4) This is what WM wanted?

1) He'll never see all that money

Most players never see "all" that money but he's sure to get a minimum of 20 million and likely closer to 35 million of it.

2) Who cares if he's with his thug friends?

Yeah who cares. He might help win a ring, he's staying in Baltimore, etc.... Maybe if he somehow could have been motivated all the time here, he would have wanted to stay. He at times disengages, but when he was focused, he did do prett damn good. Probably was it was for only about half the games.

3) The Ravens will not come close 13-3 next year. They're getting too old in key areas.

Yeah older, like RT where they went from a 5 year player to a second year guy.

Like running back where they got three year younger and quicker.

A starting 3rd year wide receiver and a star vet WR.

4) This is what WM wanted?

Obviously he seems to be much happier. Says he will train in B'more. Got his money. Around his friends.

Right. Where on Earth will we find a RB that can scamper for 990 yds?

Well, do we have one? The recently re-signed A-Train had a whopping 378 yards last year. He's old and his 1000 yard years are behind him. A RB in the draft? Where is there a proven back that will translate into an NFL back on opening day?

Well, do we have one? The recently re-signed A-Train had a whopping 378 yards last year. He's old and his 1000 yard years are behind him. A RB in the draft? Where is there a proven back that will translate into an NFL back on opening day?

Given the carries, yes, I think A-Train would easily get 990 yds. But that's no big deal, I would expect that from just about any RB provided they get the carries. I suspect we will not need to lean so heavily on him, however. I believe more help is on the way. Younger, fresher help that may well exceed the sub-1000 yd sum.

Of course the new RB has the advantage of running behind the 75 million dollars of O-line the Bills front office just spent.

Considering A-Train's CAREER HIGH is 1,100 yards, though, we BETTER find an upgrade over him. The guy is mediocre in all regards.

I'll wager this though - McGahee will outgain Thomas this year. Anyone willing to take that bet?

Let's see the Bills are perennial losers and never make the playoffs. They've had chaos in the coaching staff and front office since McGahee was drafted. They haven't made a serious effort to build a great offensive line since Jim Kelly was in his twenties. And, the fans chose Willis (one of the few high-profile players on the team) as their favorite whipping boy.

Yeah, I can see Willis desperately wanting to stay in Buffalo. :pirate:

you got it. That's why Marv's looking for players who WANT the same things he does.

give a guy 20-25 carries a game and he better reach the 66 yds/game behind this O-Line that would reach him 1000 yards over the course of a season. and, you don't need a proven back to be your starter on opening day. history shows that RB is one of the easiest positions for a rookie to come in and start right and away. i don't believe the Bills will go out and sign anyone else. they will rely on the draft to find their RB of the future.