with Lewis going to Clevland

jri111

Okay, I just wrote up a huge analysis for picks 1-16 and was about to submit it when my screen decided to refresh automatically and i lost it all, so here's a quick version of it. Here's a list of the first 16 teams and their starting RB's....

1. Oakland - Lamont Jorden - just renogoiated so he wouldn't get cut, and Russel is almost the clear cut first pick in the draft.

2. Detroit - Kevin Jones - and just picked up tatem bell. With the addition of George Foster (OT) they may not be looking at Joe Thomas anymore. Maybe Calvin Johnson (WR) or perhaps Brady Quinn (QB)

3. Cleveland - Jamal Lewis and/or Droughns - Droughns may be cut though becuase he's due a roster bonus soon. This is BY FAR the most likely landing place for Peterson, but maybe the lewis signing is an indication that they're thinking of going in another direction. Is Charlie Fry really the answer at QB? Interesting side note to dwell on... Maybe, just maybe, Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis' history in NE together has influence here. College Coaches always try to talk up their players because it looks better for them the higher they're drafted. Also, I do believe that Weis thinks Quinn is the real deal. Maybe he's whispering sweet nothings into crennel's ear about Quinn. Maybe that's why they went out and got lewis. It's probably unlikely, but if not, a chain reaction could be set in place if Clevland pulls a surprise move and takes Quinn, which would allow Petterson to tumble.

4. Tampa - Cadilac Williams - he's just entering his third year and with SO many holes, it's highly unlikly they'd go with Peterson, even if he's still there.

5. Cards - E-James, enough said.

6. Skins - Portis and Betts

7. Vikes - Chestor Taylor - Now heres a team that may not pass up on Peterson if he fell this far... but taylor is young and versitle, very similar running style to Petterson. Even though it would be intriguing, I think they'd rather address other needs. Maybe would try to trade down here to a team that's desperate for a RB (but see below why that's not likely)

8. Texans - Green (with dayne and lundy behind him). I don't think that they would pass up on Petterson if they had the chance at him, but who knows, green just got a pretty large contract w/ big bonus money. He is 30 though, so the thought of Petterson would be hard to pass up. Have lots of other needs though, especially on the O-line.

9. Dolphines - Brown (and **cough** Ricky Williams **cough**)

10. Falcons - Dunn (could use another back, but with dunn being so small i'm assuming they'd rather want a larger guy, doesn't fit the bill for peterson)

11. 49er's - Gore - Top 5 back

12. Bills - other needs more important here, likely will address with one of their seconds, but if peterson is around look for them to take him.

13. Rams - Steven Jackson

14. Carolina - deshaun foster/deangelo williams

15. Pitt - Willie Parker

16. Packers - def needs a RB.

Okay so as you can see, the only teams with needs at RB are Clevland, Houston, Buffalo and GB. Clevland and Houston addressed thier needs in FA but could try to add a younger back in the draft. IF the browns do pass on Peterson, the most likely senario I have to beleive is Houston taking him at number 8. Would the Bills be willing to trade from 12 to 7 (vikes) to take him? idk. I don't think it's feasible for the Packers to. 16 to 7 is a pretty big jump. they would have to give up alot and they'll probably have lynch ripe for the taking at 16. If Peterson gets pass clevland AND Houston, he'd fall right into our laps. This is the least likely senario, but it's only two GM's deciding other needs are more important for it to become a reality (Clevland going with Quinn, Houston going with OL). Who knows... thought it was interesting though.... what do you think?

like i said, i think so too, but it does create an interesting senario. I think the key is Droughns. If he goes, as i suspect he will, then it's safe to assume they are definitely targeting Peterson at number 3. BUT If they pay him his roster bonus and he stays a small window of opportunity may have opened. Like i said, i agree, i think he still goes here, but who knows, maybe Romeo wants Quinn. If he did, what would he do, go out and get a RB in free agancy. so maybe... at the very least fun to think about.

Personally, I don't think Lynch is worth getting at 12. Petterson Yes, Lynch no. I would much rather have us use one of our seconds (assuming the willis trade goes through) on a RB and the rest of day one on Defense.

If by some small chance between slim/no way in hell it happens if adrain peterson is there at 12 you take him. You don't pass on him because you have "other needs". I really wouldn't care if we had mcgahee yet at that point if peterson is there you draft him.

I don't think i was clear here. NO WAY you pass on Peterson if he is there by some cold chance in h*ll. I was referring to any other RB (namely lynch). I would MUCH rather have Okoye or Branch over Lynch. Our Defense just has too many holes. HOWEVER, if peterson was there, you'd be brain dead to pass up on him! sorry for not being clear enough.

in addition though, I found out after i posted the original post that lewis only signed a one year deal with Clevland indicating that it's not a long term thing. That just makes it that much more unlikely...

I don't think i was clear here. NO WAY you pass on Peterson if he is there by some cold chance in h*ll. I was referring to any other RB (namely lynch). I would MUCH rather have Okoye or Branch over Lynch. Our Defense just has too many holes. HOWEVER, if peterson was there, you'd be brain dead to pass up on him! sorry for not being clear enough.

I actualy kind of realized that I just wanted to further hit the point home. So I'll take the heat for not expressing myself on that better. It's all good though :censored:

Lewis isnt the future answer he is a one year guy.....So Peterson doesnt have to come in and carry the load right away....Peterson IMO is still there pick

charlie fry is terrible.

brady quinn is the pick

romeo n wiess connection. think about it

via rotoworld today: http://rotoworld.com/Content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Adrian Peterson-RB- Player Mar. 8 - 10:12 am et

The Browns are reportedly intent on using a two-back system in 2007.

The door on Cleveland selecting Adrian Peterson at No. 3 may have not completely swung shut, and will be more realistic if Reuben Droughns is released once his $1.75 million roster bonus comes due next week.

Source: Cleveland Plain-Dealer

Related: Jamal Lewis, Reuben Droughns, Browns

then again, 1 year, $3.5 million is alot to pay a backup RB...

http://rotoworld.com/Content/playernews.as...&line=90617

Jamal Lewis-RB- Browns Mar. 7 - 9:23 pm et

Browns signed RB Jamal Lewis to a one-year, $3.5 million contract. With incentives, Lewis can make up to $5 million in 2007.

The length of the deal indicates Cleveland could still consider drafting Adrian Peterson. This is still a curious move by Browns GM Phil Savage, primarily because Lewis has averaged 3.47 yards per-carry the last two seasons since leaving jail. Lewis runs tentatively and has poor long speed. A shaky Browns offensive line won't help matters. Willis McGahee could now be on the way to Baltimore in a trade, and Reuben Droughns is headed to the bench or the waiver wire.