What Do Pats Fans Think of Us Trading McGahee?

I tend to agree. Thread from Pats board:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patrio...ead.php?t=52197

The Patriot fans do not have to watch McGahee week in and week out. It is painful to watch what he calls running the football.

Take away the Jets games this year, and what does McGahee have? I believe that it is around 60 yards a game. That is not running the football.

I just read this post on the Pats Board, after we were called idiots for "trading a good back to replace him with a crappy back(dillon or rhodes)"

"

Would these be the same idiots that people laughed at during the draft? The same idiot who's picks worked out? The same idiots who put together a better than expected team last season and are now repairing their area of greatest weakness?

If that owner/GM combination doesn't die in the next couple of years, the Bills could very well be the team challenging New England for the division title."

Yeah but...but...(ok I can't do that anymore)

Seriously, they are presuming a lot, as though IF this trade happens we won't use both or at least one 2nd(one we had one we get) to pick up a running back. And supposedly RB is the easiest position to make an immediate contribution in.

Love to see that guy from Airizona with our first #2 pick. I do not see us simply signing old guys and trying to make them stick. However, this all depends on how good the line is. I seem to recall multiple Denver RBs who were "AWESOME" move on to other teams and suddenly become average. Perhaps that "phenomenon" can happen in reverse for us? With that said there is no doubt that we are taking a huge risk moving Willis. The real question is: what is the risk to the team if he stays? I think with all that's already happened, he's got to go regardless just for the sake of team chemistry. I blame the fuggin' Giants GM for opening his mouth - douchebag - and locking us into a move.

The other thing I don't get is: What happened to the RB we cut last year - Lionel Gates? I didn't agree with that move and I still don't. I think Gates was a much better player than A-Train. I think A-train was a safe bet/good transitional player - like Reyes - but that's it. You obviously can't have Gates and McGahee on the same team but, now we won't. I say we get old Lionel back in training camp this year and see what's what.

I just read this post on the Pats Board, after we were called idiots for "trading a good back to replace him with a crappy back(dillon or rhodes)"

"

Would these be the same idiots that people laughed at during the draft? The same idiot who's picks worked out? The same idiots who put together a better than expected team last season and are now repairing their area of greatest weakness?

If that owner/GM combination doesn't die in the next couple of years, the Bills could very well be the team challenging New England for the division title."

I hate Patriot fans.

Yeah but...but...(ok I can't do that anymore)

Seriously, they are presuming a lot, as though IF this trade happens we won't use both or at least one 2nd(one we had one we get) to pick up a running back. And supposedly RB is the easiest position to make an immediate contribution in.

Love to see that guy from Airizona with our first #2 pick. I do not see us simply signing old guys and trying to make them stick. However, this all depends on how good the line is. I seem to recall multiple Denver RBs who were "AWESOME" move on to other teams and suddenly become average. Perhaps that "phenomenon" can happen in reverse for us? With that said there is no doubt that we are taking a huge risk moving Willis. The real question is: what is the risk to the team if he stays? I think with all that's already happened, he's got to go regardless just for the sake of team chemistry. I blame the fuggin' Giants GM for opening his mouth - douchebag - and locking us into a move.

The other thing I don't get is: What happened to the RB we cut last year - Lionel Gates? I didn't agree with that move and I still don't. I think Gates was a much better player than A-Train. I think A-train was a safe bet/good transitional player - like Reyes - but that's it. You obviously can't have Gates and McGahee on the same team but, now we won't. I say we get old Lionel back in training camp this year and see what's what.

I like it. I thought Gates played well in preseaon and showed ability.

Most of those comments are the type of sh-- I expect to hear from your average joe blow fan. However when one actualy looks at the history of the pats you'll soon see they're the same team who at one time traded promising young rb Curtis Martin in division mind you. The Jets signed him to an offer sheet for 36 mil over 6 years and the pats declined to match receiving a 1st and 3rd rd draft pick for the promising young tailback. The pats went onto select HB Robert Edwards and fullback chris floyd.

The Pats also the same team who won a sb with antowain smith as their starting tailback although to be fair during smiths 1st superbowl win he actualy had a rather productive season. So I take fan comments for what they are the majority of time unintelligible comments to makes oneself feel better about their own team.

Now with that said. Am I happy about the idea of trading a above average rb while not having anything remotely resembling an adequate replacement currently on the roster? Of course not. I trust Levy to realize that scraps like chris brown or corey dillon are nothing more then washaway stop gaps at best, and that a rb of the future will be brought in. Maybe getting rid of the distraction of willis is addition by subtraction, and we'll get something good in return for whatever draft picks we get for him.

Everyone knows your a Red Sox fan moonlighting as a Patriots fan during New England's reign of success.

I'm a Yankee fan, actually. I live in New York and never really had a favorite NFL team before '93, when a relative who often visited Vermont brought me a Pats sweatshirt (with the old Pat Patriot logo). I've been hooked ever since.

Nice try, though. :censored:

I'm a Yankee fan, actually. I live in New York and never really had a favorite NFL team before '93, when a relative who often visited Vermont brought me a Pats sweatshirt (with the old Pat Patriot logo). I've been hooked ever since.

Bledsoe won you over eh? :blink:

However when one actualy looks at the history of the pats you'll soon see they're the same team who at one time traded promising young rb Curtis Martin in division mind you. The Jets signed him to an offer sheet for 36 mil over 6 years and the pats declined to match receiving a 1st and 3rd rd draft pick for the promising young tailback.

In fairness though, restricted free agency is not the same as a trade.

The pats went onto select HB Robert Edwards and fullback chris floyd.

Edwards would've had a damn good career if not for his injury.

Damn beach flag football. :censored:

So your a sheep? You picked your team based on a gift that some one gave you?

I'm going to tell you a story. My grandmother gave me a Derek Jeter Christmas ornament when i was in third grade, and i kept it real. I didn't become a Yankees fan.

Bad life decisions on your part.

In fairness though, restricted free agency is not the same as a trade.

Edwards would've had a damn good career if not for his injury.

Damn beach flag football. :censored:

I thought Edwards showed promise as a young back, but i have to admit, i felt relieved when he got hurt. Almost as relieved as if Laurence Maroney were to get hurt.