BRUCE !!!!

MetsBills

Something left

In Pros vs. Joes, athletes enjoy having the last laugh

Posted: Saturday January 27, 2007 11:48PM; Updated: Sunday January 28, 2007 1:55PM

Bruce Smith played in four Super Bowls and 11 Pro Bowls, and now he is lining up against non-professional athletes.

AP

I should be intimidated by Bruce Smith. After all he's the NFL's all-time sack leader and one of the most feared defensive linemen in league history. Yet as he walks towards me in a Halloweenish orange football uniform while munching on a turkey sandwich, I can't help but feel for the guy and ask him, "What are you doing?"

Smith laughs as he takes another bite of his sandwich. "I don't know," he says with his mouth full. "I guess I'm here to teach some Joes a lesson."

Thankfully, I'm not one of those "Joes," as Smith's eyes begin to widen as he checks a couple of them out as they walk around the football field at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. "Everyone thinks they can do what we do," says Smith. "This is a chance to put them in their place and show them that there's a difference between being a player and spectator."

That's probably the best way of describing the concept behind Pros vs. Joes, Spike TV's hit reality series which pits regular "Joes" against well known "Pros." It's the opportunity every washed up, has-been high school athlete has dreamed about. It's their chance to show the likes of Michael Irvin, Jose Canseco, Kordell Stewart and 20 other professionals that they belong. It's also a chance for these former athletes to show that they still got what these amateurs never had.

Something left

In Pros vs. Joes, athletes enjoy having the last laugh

Posted: Saturday January 27, 2007 11:48PM; Updated: Sunday January 28, 2007 1:55PM

Bruce Smith played in four Super Bowls and 11 Pro Bowls, and now he is lining up against non-professional athletes.

AP

I should be intimidated by Bruce Smith. After all he's the NFL's all-time sack leader and one of the most feared defensive linemen in league history. Yet as he walks towards me in a Halloweenish orange football uniform while munching on a turkey sandwich, I can't help but feel for the guy and ask him, "What are you doing?"

Smith laughs as he takes another bite of his sandwich. "I don't know," he says with his mouth full. "I guess I'm here to teach some Joes a lesson."

Thankfully, I'm not one of those "Joes," as Smith's eyes begin to widen as he checks a couple of them out as they walk around the football field at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. "Everyone thinks they can do what we do," says Smith. "This is a chance to put them in their place and show them that there's a difference between being a player and spectator."

That's probably the best way of describing the concept behind Pros vs. Joes, Spike TV's hit reality series which pits regular "Joes" against well known "Pros." It's the opportunity every washed up, has-been high school athlete has dreamed about. It's their chance to show the likes of Michael Irvin, Jose Canseco, Kordell Stewart and 20 other professionals that they belong. It's also a chance for these former athletes to show that they still got what these amateurs never had.

Wait. First Reed, now Bruce. It's sad to see such great players become so average. Oh well, that's life. :lol:

I was not thrilled with the show when I saw it.

Rodman was on when I saw it, but it ended up being him vs. the Joes in a free-throw shooting contest .

WTF?

If you are going to have Rodman on, then what's the point if it's not going to be a one on one game?

I was not thrilled with the show when I saw it.

Rodman was on when I saw it, but it ended up being him vs. the Joes in a free-throw shooting contest .

WTF?

If you are going to have Rodman on, then what's the point if it's not going to be a one on one game?

I'd say atleast have Rodman against a Joe in some type of competition for Rebounds

I saw one where it was a homerun contest, and they had Consecco and he was trash talking the Joes. All I could think of iswhy is he trash talking, if they had taken as much roids as that idiot has, they'd probably be just as good. Sorry, I'd rather see real athletes go against these Joes and hear them trash talk, rather then one created by a needle