Another Cover-2 myth

mattypro89

With a cover-2 style defense, the focus is on speed and attaking the ball right? right. however, the scheme also relies heavily on a run stopper ancoring the D- line. Wtihout a big DT to shut down the opposing run game, the line backing corps has to play the run instead of emphasizing pass coverage and blitzing. The Bills dont blitz, most likely cause they can't. Their D-line (DT) is too small. there isnt enough power to them to force the oline to double teram them and allow LBs to get through and Blitz. for this reason, we must get a big, shut down DT this offseason, whether is be in house, which is a real possibility, FA, or Draft, its a real need for this team. personally i think Mcargo could be this kind of player if he builds up his lower body strength and takes a couple steps forward.

With a cover-2 style defense, the focus is on speed and attaking the ball right? right.

Correct

however, the scheme also relies heavily on a run stopper ancoring the D- line. Wtihout a big DT to shut down the opposing run game, the line backing corps has to play the run

Yes you need to have a dt who is a run stoper. However this is not to be mistaken with. You need a wide body as the basis of a dline in a cover 2 in collapse the pocket attack the ball.

instead of emphasizing pass coverage and blitzing. The Bills dont blitz, most likely cause they can't.

Wrong in a cover 2 defense the objective is to blitz as little as possible keeping your lb's and secondary in coverage limiting big play pass attempts. Not blitzing the qb.

Their D-line (DT) is too small.

A Cover 2 sacrifices size for speed and athleticism. Idealy if you can get bigger players who have speed fine, but generaly you want to attack the ball, not be slow and proding.

there isnt enough power to them to force the oline to double teram them and allow LBs to get through and Blitz.

Again in a cover 2 you don't want to blitz. You don't want your dline standing in a hole. You want them running and attacking the ball. yes it leaves you vunerable to damage in the run defense, but for every 8-10 yard run you give up you'll also have a good number of stops 2 to 4 yards in the backfield. As long as you have guys who can collapse and tackle. A big problem in cover 2 run defenses is tackling. It's a rather basic thing that get's overlooked.

for this reason, we must get a big, shut down DT this offseason, whether is be in house, which is a real possibility, FA, or Draft, its a real need for this team. personally i think Mcargo could be this kind of player if he builds up his lower body strength and takes a couple steps forward.

Agreed McCargo could potential be good.As long as he stays healthy and gets stronger he could be a great dt for the system. His college coach said he was quicker off the snap then either Mario Williams or Manny Lawson. I'm looking foward yet to seeing him progress.

The myth is that you need a big, fat DT to stop the run.

You need the entire front 7 to operate in sync to attack the line of scrimmage.

When the DTs attack the backfield, cut back lanes will open up. That is why you need LBs that are also adept at attacking and tackling to fill those holes.

the cover-2 needs athletic players that can run to the ball.

Fat and slow with bad instincts is a recipe for disaster.

The fact is you beat the cover 2 with the run. The teams that have realized this have beaten us...with the run. runs of 8 and ten yards are one thing. Constant runs of 3 and 4 and moving the chains (and tiring the defense, keeping the offense off the field, and causing the linebackes, and safeties to "cheat" to stop the run and resulting in giving up big plays) are the critical weakness of the tampa 2 without high quality run stopping DT's. What we need is three or four (remember even the "light" guys are carrying a lot of weight) dt's that can rush AND stop the run. Pass the Amobi Okoye please. :)

The fact is you beat the cover 2 with the run. The teams that have realized this have beaten us...with the run. runs of 8 and ten yards are one thing. Constant runs of 3 and 4 and moving the chains (and tiring the defense, keeping the offense off the field, and causing the linebackes, and safeties to "cheat" to stop the run and resulting in giving up big plays) are the critical weakness of the tampa 2 without high quality run stopping DT's. What we need is three or four (remember even the "light" guys are carrying a lot of weight) dt's that can rush AND stop the run. Pass the Amobi Okoye please. :)

Okoye would be the best option, but I doubt he will be there at #12- especially if he has a good combine.

if they can't trade down, most likely looking at LB or CB.

Levi Brown is an option- however my gut says they are willing to live Pennington and Butler at RT and draft a OG in 3rd round.

trading down and getting Justin Blaylock is a nice option assuming Okoye or Branch isn't available. I could even live with chosing Blaylock at 12 if we had to. He would add strength to our offensive line right away. Harrel of Tennessee might slip to second round based on the fact that he didn't play much this year but he is in that Haynesworth, Henderson mode of player and we might be very happy with him at Defensive Tackle. Another possibilty is a complete Tennessee draft!!!! Harrel in late round 1, Aaron Sears for gaurd in Round 2 and with the trade pick Wade at cornerback. I have to admit that there may be a tennessee bias here...but these guys may be all that good.

With a cover-2 style defense, the focus is on speed and attaking the ball right? right. however, the scheme also relies heavily on a run stopper ancoring the D- line. Wtihout a big DT to shut down the opposing run game, the line backing corps has to play the run instead of emphasizing pass coverage and blitzing. The Bills dont blitz, most likely cause they can't. Their D-line (DT) is too small. there isnt enough power to them to force the oline to double teram them and allow LBs to get through and Blitz. for this reason, we must get a big, shut down DT this offseason, whether is be in house, which is a real possibility, FA, or Draft, its a real need for this team. personally i think Mcargo could be this kind of player if he builds up his lower body strength and takes a couple steps forward.

Why can't Jason Peters play DT as well? :lol:

Warren Sapp is really who i was thinking of when writing this post. The Tampa-2 had Warren there to suck up the runners and ancor the line. Hes Big, quick and a good tackler, at least he was in those days, dont really fallow him much anymore. BUt with that style of defense, there has to be a sloid runstopper. the LBs should not have to be relied upon to stop the run.

Warren Sapp is really who i was thinking of when writing this post. The Tampa-2 had Warren there to suck up the runners and ancor the line. Hes Big, quick and a good tackler, at least he was in those days, dont really fallow him much anymore. BUt with that style of defense, there has to be a sloid runstopper. the LBs should not have to be relied upon to stop the run.

Here's that myth again.....

Sapp is 6'2" & 300lbs

If we were to draft him today, half the board would be screaming "We need a BIG run stuffing DT, not another small quick one."