Applebee's Explores Sale, Hires Citigroup as Adviser

truth on hold

This is just an observation, but I've noticed that Applebee's seems to choose a lot of "B" locations to plant down in, obviously to save on rent. An example: in my Chicago suburb, I live about half a mile north of the ultra-busy Route 34 that goes through the Southwest suburbs. In my area, they're building retail like mad -- Best Buy, Lowes, Kohl's are all opening up there, next to an established center with a Target, a large-chain grocery store, a Home Depot, and restaurants like Chili's on the front of the lots.

Where does Applebee's go? They choose a location about a mile north on a less-traveled road, where they stuck the restaurant on the front lot of a "Farm & Fleet" superstore. They probably get lots of traffic from corn and wheat growers dropping off the tractor for a tune-up.

This is just an observation, but I've noticed that Applebee's seems to choose a lot of "B" locations to plant down in, obviously to save on rent. An example: in my Chicago suburb, I live about half a mile north of the ultra-busy Route 34 that goes through the Southwest suburbs. In my area, they're building retail like mad -- Best Buy, Lowes, Kohl's are all opening up there, next to an established center with a Target, a large-chain grocery store, a Home Depot, and restaurants like Chili's on the front of the lots.

Where does Applebee's go? They choose a location about a mile north on a less-traveled road, where they stuck the restaurant on the front lot of a "Farm & Fleet" superstore. They probably get lots of traffic from corn and wheat growers dropping off the tractor for a tune-up.

problem for me is i cant tell one from next between applebees, outback, TGIF, denny's etc etc. instead of going to chain sit down place i'd rather opt for a fast food like wendy's or a local pizza place. my impression is the food and service is better at these places versus applebee types where it all comes out of one big frozen microwave refrigerator anyway.

The last time I was at Applebee's I ordered some sort of apple walnut chicken salad. I finished the entire salad and was down to my last bite when I encountered an overly crunchy walnut. I chewed harder than usually and realized that it wasn't a walnut. I then spit out a cube of broken glass. The waitress didn't believe me when I told her where I found the broken glass, but the manager gave me a free meal and dessert.

I haven't been to Applebee's since.

problem for me is i cant tell one from next between applebees, outback, TGIF, denny's etc etc. instead of going to chain sit down place i'd rather opt for a fast food like wendy's or a local pizza place. my impression is the food and service is better at these places versus applebee types where it all comes out of one big frozen microwave refrigerator anyway.

As opposed to Wendy's where everything is made lovingly from scratch?