"Don't Be Dumb, Don't Be Dirty"

Astrobot

The Bills have improved measurably from the 1047 yards worth of penalties they sustained in 2004.

Last year, the Bills reduced that figure by 15%, and were penalized 897 yards.

In 2006, they took that yardage and reduced it by 30%, down to 629.

Of course, Ruben Brown accounted for most of it, but that's still pretty good.

Good news. It seems that the mark of any (successful) Jauron team is going to be discipline. That is, stay in your gaps, don't do anything stupid, no personal fouls, minimize mistakes, and you give yourself the best chance to win the game.

That discipline with an infusion of more talent strikes me as a winning formula for next year. Playoffs, let's do it!

Good news. It seems that the mark of any (successful) Jauron team is going to be discipline. That is, stay in your gaps, don't do anything stupid, no personal fouls, minimize mistakes, and you give yourself the best chance to win the game.

That discipline with an infusion of more talent strikes me as a winning formula for next year. Playoffs, let's do it!

:thumbsup:

The Bills have improved measurably from the 1047 yards worth of penalties they sustained in 2004.

Last year, the Bills reduced that figure by 15%, and were penalized 897 yards.

In 2006, they took that yardage and reduced it by 30%, down to 629.

Of course, Ruben Brown accounted for most of it, but that's still pretty good.

I wonder if calls were down, league-wide. The impression I got this year was that they were calling less holding - they certainly want to keep the game time within the alloted tv slots.

I wonder if calls were down, league-wide. The impression I got this year was that they were calling less holding - they certainly want to keep the game time within the alloted tv slots.

You are on to something here. I found this article (can't read the entire one as I am not registered):

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.htm...DA80894DF404482

"PRO FOOTBALL; With Penalties Down By 20 Percent From '05, N.F.L. Reverses a Trend

January 25, 2007, Thursday

By CLIFTON BROWN; ARON PILHOFER CONTRIBUTED REPORTING. (NYT); Sports Desk

Late Edition - Final, Section D, Page 5, Column 1, 1110 words

DISPLAYING ABSTRACT - The number of penalty flags thrown in the N.F.L. declined 20 percent this season compared to a year ago, a drop that reversed a trend that had taken hold in recent seasons. According to an analysis by The New York Times, 2006 marked the first time since 2001 that ..."

That's a great summary/synopsis. Let's hope the talent side of it gets help from the draft and sober but successful approach to FA.