A Hockey Players Story, some do make against all odds

millbank

A Hockey Players Story

When Metropolit, 32, talks about his childhood, it's done so matter-of-factly that it almost doesn't sound like a big deal. He grew up in a part of Toronto called Regent Park. The slums.

Dependent on government assistance, Metropolit wasn't sure where he'd sleep each night, let alone where he'd find his next meal. Ask him to describe the home he grew up in, and he can't. There were so many it was a blur.

"I saw drug dealers, people stealing cars, buddies into drugs. ... That was just the way of life," he said.

He talks about a group of friends, the ones who weren't playing hockey, and most are dead or in jail. His kid brother is in jail and depends on letters from his mom to get updates of Metropolit's hockey career.

One week Metropolit would live with an aunt, another week with a friend. His mom would borrow money for necessities, then pay the debts back each year with income tax returns. It was a cycle that never let the family get ahead.

But the kid wasn't worried about any of it. Metropolit had one concern: finding a spot to play hockey. As a 4-year-old, he'd amaze cab drivers with his knowledge of the Maple Leafs.

At 7 years old, his teacher asked the class to draw a picture of what they wanted to be when they grew up. Naturally, Metropolit drew a hockey player holding a stick, under which he wrote the words, "When I grow up I want to play center for the Maple Leafs." The teacher laminated it. It's now framed.

Got to be rooting for this man...

Sounds a little like that offensive tackle described in the book "Blind Side." Surprising what lengths kids go to to be successful. Makes me feel a little ashamed at how good life has been to me. I coached hockey (kids) and ran a hockey league for a few years and looking back I think working with kids like that is the thing I'm most proud of in my life.

I had no idea he was that old and never knew his life story. His rough childhood must fuel his desire to make the NHL and good for him he has finally found a full time spot in the NHL (even if it's on the TML). Just goes to show what you can accomplish if you put your heart and soul into something. You hear too many people blaming their surroundings for the tough life they now have.

Hockey is a game becoming increasingly more for those of means . It becoming because of ice time, equipment and registration fees, difficult for children to participate. Many working people it simply out of their range. It takes a great deal of things to go right and enormous effort for young people from ecomonicaly challenged backgrounds to have opportunity to succeed. The days over of pond hockey , a wooden stick and a heart full of courage. One needs a pocket book for of money. Guys like Glen Metropolit grinding it out and finding some success is most special.

Sounds a little like that offensive tackle described in the book "Blind Side." Surprising what lengths kids go to to be successful. Makes me feel a little ashamed at how good life has been to me. I coached hockey (kids) and ran a hockey league for a few years and looking back I think working with kids like that is the thing I'm most proud of in my life.

There is nothing to be ashamed of, especially since it sounds like you decided to give something back so to speak.

Hockey is a game becoming increasingly more for those of means . It becoming because of ice time, equipment and registration fees, difficult for children to participate. Many working people it simply out of their range. It takes a great deal of things to go right and enormous effort for young people from ecomonicaly challenged backgrounds to have opportunity to succeed. The days over of pond hockey , a wooden stick and a heart full of courage. One needs a pocket book for of money. Guys like Glen Metropolit grinding it out and finding some success is most special.

Wasn't really referring to hockey, but more life in general. But yes, hockey is a very expensive sport to play.