Students say they're good neighbors, not a frat.

Tux of Borg

http://www.pall-times.com/articles/2007/01/08/news/news1.txt

STUDENTS SAY THEY'RE GOOD NEIGHBORS, NOT A FRAT

By COLIN KENNEDY, Staff Writer

After a recent disturbance caused by a Christmas party at 53 W. Seneca St., better known as the former Sigma Gamma fraternity house in Oswego, debates concerning its residents and their activities within the house have been rejuvenated.

Neighbors have complained that the residents continue to hold Greek-related events at the residence, including the Dec. 9 bash, even though the house was officially stripped of the privilege to operate as a fraternity after a March 2006 Supreme Court decision. However, Sigma Gamma members and their proponents argue that the party was not associated with the fraternity, but rather, was a get-together held by the residents of the house who were also “brothers” of the organization.

“Anybody should be able to have social gatherings,” said John Kares Smith, faculty advisor to the Sigma Gamma fraternity who attended the function for a couple of hours. “Were they operating illegally as a frat house? In my judgment they weren't.” Smith added that after he left the house that night he walked around the premises and did not notice excessive noise. “You couldn't hear anything unless you put your ear up the wall,” he said.

Apparently the party was too rowdy for neighbors who called local authorities to break it up. The incident that followed included at least five arrests, according to Smith, including the arrest of a brother who was asleep on a couch.

“It was absolutely ridiculous,” said James McGuinness, a senior with the fraternity who lives at the house and attended the party. He claims that the party was not related to the fraternity in any way. “We all have girlfriends and they all have friends too. You can't tell people that they can't have friends,” he said.

However, residents in the 1st Ward who neighbor the house continue to say that the disruptive parties at the residence are violating the terms of the court decision. Without the status of “fraternity house,” the place may only house four residents, and may not serve as the arena for fraternity activities like parties or hazing, both of which neighbors claim to have seen.

In a letter to the editor that appeared in the Dec. 26 edition of The Palladium-Times, former councilor of the 1st Ward Jay Scanlon said that illegal drug use was occurring at the residence. and at least two intoxicated females were seen leaving the house, neither “being able to stand or even stagger out on her own.” Neither of these accusations has been proven true.

“Neighbors have concerns about the ongoing fraternity activity because they witness it regularly,” said Scanlon. “It surprises me that a college professor acting as an advisor ends up at all these parties if they are not fraternity related,” he said, speaking about Smith's involvement. “It seems awfully strange.”

Everyone in connection to the fraternity maintains that only four people live at the questioned address and that business relating to the fraternity, like meetings, takes place at Hewitt Union on the SUNY Oswego campus. The residents also “went to great lengths” to obtain the necessary Certificate of Occupancy for both floors of the house, according to Smith in his own letter to the editor on Dec. 15.

“The fraternity does not ‘operate as an illegal fraternity house,'” he said.

Smith was also quick to point out the volunteer work that Sigma Gamma brothers have provided for the community. Besides the work they did for the Oswego Democratic Party, chronicled in his letter to the editor, members have also been involved in litter removal from West Park that sits in their front yard, as well as programs like Canal Cleanup, Toys For Tots and Meet The Neighbors.

“I am sympathetic to the neighbors,” said Smith, “but these guys are doing a lot of good. I think lots of the neighbors are responding to the Sigma Gamma of 10 or 15 years ago.”

McGuinness mirrored this sentiment saying, “We're trying our best to be good neighbors and be good to the community.”

The entire issue lies somewhere in that “gray area,” according to Councilor Connie Cosemento, D-1st Ward.

She said it is tough to tell whether a party is a Greek party or a regular party. If a Greek theme is included, or if party-goers are wearing their colors, then a party can be classified as being Greek, she said. However, Cosemento noted it is still difficult to distinguish.

“We need to find another way to prove if they are indeed having Greek parties,” she said.

In terms of how out of hand the parties get at the residence in question, Cosemento says they are no more rowdy than others in the ward.

It is realizations like this that have left certain brothers like Jeff Frenzel disheartened.

“It's a nice area so the neighbors want us out. They're not giving us a chance. They never gave us a chance,” he said.

If I remember correctly, this is the same frat that sponsored Springfest every year.

Good times. :D

Actually I think it was TKE that sponsored Springfest...At least back when I went there. I knew a lot of the Sigma Gamma guys and they were definately not in it for the charity. Nobody Joins a Fraternity to do good deeds. We "adopted a highway" and bowled with the mentally handicapped organization, but it all turned in to a drunken good time. Oswego has always been a town of Townies vs college kids. I couldn't imagine a better place to go to college, or a worse place to live.

Actually I think it was TKE that sponsored Springfest...At least back when I went there. I knew a lot of the Sigma Gamma guys and they were definately not in it for the charity. Nobody Joins a Fraternity to do good deeds. We "adopted a highway" and bowled with the mentally handicapped organization, but it all turned in to a drunken good time. Oswego has always been a town of Townies vs college kids. I couldn't imagine a better place to go to college, or a worse place to live.

I'm sure you're right but you'd be surprised at how close the TKE letters look like the Sigma Gamma letters after 15 beers and you're seeing three of everything.

This is a toughie...

If the students rented a house and are one of the few college houses in the neighborhood, they need to use their better judgement with parties and expect some pushback. If the Oswego residents are living in the middle of apartment houses traditionally set aside for student rental, they need to expect some louder and later-than-usual activities. I'm not sure how Oswego is set up, if students and adults are all living intermingled...

Bottom line, no matter where I've been, I've always had a good relationship with the neighbors. Step 1 is to personally walk over the day before a party and let them know there will be a shindig going down, and they are more then welcome to attend. However, things could get noisy...If it gets too loud, please come and find me, and let me know, and I'll try to work it out. That works better for everyone instead of calling the police. That gesture alone seems to go a long way, and I've never had any issues.