My USB ports on my laptop no longer work..

stevestojan

So, I replaced my harddrive on my Dell 700m laptop several weeks ago. All is good (after a crapload of work getting drivers, etc) except my USB ports don't recognize anything I plug into them (my ipod and my jump drive). The strange thing is, my iPod (its a Shuffle, so its basically a glorified jump drive) will charge when it is plugged into the port, but my computer doesn't see it.

I've been to Dell's website but there are no drivers specifically for the USB ports.

Any ideas as to why the USB no longer works, yet will still charge my iPod shuffle? I'm guessing that no matter what there is power going to them, but I need to do something to make them recognize an actual drive....???

Thanks in advance...

So, I replaced my harddrive on my Dell 700m laptop several weeks ago. All is good (after a crapload of work getting drivers, etc) except my USB ports don't recognize anything I plug into them (my ipod and my jump drive). The strange thing is, my iPod (its a Shuffle, so its basically a glorified jump drive) will charge when it is plugged into the port, but my computer doesn't see it.

I've been to Dell's website but there are no drivers specifically for the USB ports.

Any ideas as to why the USB no longer works, yet will still charge my iPod shuffle? I'm guessing that no matter what there is power going to them, but I need to do something to make them recognize an actual drive....???

Thanks in advance...

Did you do the updates for Windows XP? Go to microsoft.com and update. I bet there is a USB 2.0 driver there you're missing.