What's in your wallet?

SDS

I have "One from American Express", one percent of every purchase is deposited into a high yield (5%) savings account. No minimum purchases, $125.00 annula fee. Very similar to Blue Cash, which I have considered shifting to.

I have "One from American Express", one percent of every purchase is deposited into a high yield (5%) savings account. No minimum purchases, $125.00 annula fee. Very similar to Blue Cash, which I have considered shifting to.

The "high yeild" savings account isn't really that high yieldy (check out http://www.ingdirect.com ), and the $125 annual fee is horrible. You can do much better. :)

CW

Why wouldn't you get paid to borrow the bank's money, instead of risking your own with a debit card? (using a debit card is DANGEROUS because it links directly to your checking account - someone takes your debit card and cleans you out at the same time your mortage payment is trying to process, for example, and you'll get a ding on your credit history for insufficient funds in your bank and missing a mortgage payment). There's no reason to use a debit card, other than to help the bank out.

http://clarkhoward.com/shownotes/category/7/40/225/

CW

Any reputable bank will refund your card within 72 hours of reporting fraud/ID theft to them. I would argue that credit cards are more dangerous than debit cards. With my debit card i can only take out what's in my checking account. With a credit card i have a huge limit. I've seen first hand people maxing out multiple credit cards just to buy things. I don't want the temptation, so I leave my cards for emergencies only.

Any reputable bank will refund your card within 72 hours of reporting fraud/ID theft to them. I would argue that credit cards are more dangerous than debit cards. With my debit card i can only take out what's in my checking account. With a credit card i have a huge limit. I've seen first hand people maxing out multiple credit cards just to buy things. I don't want the temptation, so I leave my cards for emergencies only.

Yes, you'll probably get refunded within 72 hours. But you potentially will have no money in that account for the whole 72 hours, meaning no ATM access and bounced pyaments to mortgage company, credit card company, gas/electric company, etc. That will negatively impact your credit rating. (not to mention the fact that you're leaving money on the table since lots of cards give you money back for using them).

If you don't want the temptation of a huge limit, tell the credit card company to give you a low limit. Just because you have a $15,000 limit doens't mean they won't cut it down to $1,000 if you ask...