Today's article about FA's brings up question

Buffalo Mike1

Regarding Fletcher's depature, which I think is imminent: Who will be the on-field coach, lining up players?

Said Fewell: "He's taken so much heat off the young guys. He's making all the adjustments, calling all the defenses, he's lining the front up and the secondary; he runs the whole show. So yes, to lose him would be tough for us. He's our Ray Lewis from the perspective of he's the guy who people look to."

With all that being said, I think a more dominating run stuffing linebacker will benefit this team. Here's hoping Spikes returns to form :o It would be hard to imagine this guy's career taking a nose dive the way Sam Cowart did. That would be a hard pill to swallow.

I think the "middle linebacker as defensive QB" is a bit overrated. The defensive coordinator determines the package, personnel, and audible. About all London can really do is shift a guy to a different gap or call the audible. The safety usually determines defensive back responsibilities. I don't know the game well enough to say "Awww !@#$! London should have switched out of that defense and into this one so he didn't get run over again!" I don't hear anyone talking about great middle linebackers too stupid to make the calls. They just give the calls to someone else to make.

RTB

I think Spikes as the middle backer may be exactly what Marv and Co. are thinking about. He still has a quick first step even if his overall speed has diminished since the achilles injury. Playing in the middle may just extend his career if he never regains his speed completely.

Anyone else thinks Spikes could make a solid MLB if he warms to the task?

RTB

I honestly don't know the answer to this question: What are the real differences in physical attributes between a MLB and an OLB. I know an outside guy has to be quite a bit quicker and faster. I would think an inside guy would have to be physically stronger and have a greater ability to shed blocks and fight through traffic.

Takeo is a monster when it comes to upper-body strength. We all know that. Is he tough enough to shed nasty interior offensive linemen? Can he knock the hell out of a fullback and still take down the ball carrying running back?

There is no question that the Spikes tha we all "knew" and loved, could play MLB and play it well.

Therein lies the question. Can he revert to his old self or has the achilles injury taken just enough away from him to render him ineffective?