One of the best things not talked about this year?

How about the develoment on Whitner and Simpson!! These two ROOKIE SAFETIES (one of the hardest positions to come into as a rookie) were very good at their job. they weren't ball hawking machines (YET) but with this yera under their belt, I think these two will be stars next year. They're the qb's of the secondary and I can't remember that last huge pass play they gave up. They looked a little shaky yesterday but the entire D did as well. I can't wait to see these two next year and what they can do!!!

"Lets Go Buffalo!" '07

How about the develoment on Whitner and Simpson!! These two ROOKIE SAFETIES (one of the hardest positions to come into as a rookie) were very good at their job. they weren't ball hawking machines (YET) but with this yera under their belt, I think these two will be stars next year. They're the qb's of the secondary and I can't remember that last huge pass play they gave up. They looked a little shaky yesterday but the entire D did as well. I can't wait to see these two next year and what they can do!!!

"Lets Go Buffalo!" '07

877869[/snapback]

Whitner started out well, but he was exposed and abused later on. He's going to be a good player, but I'm quite certain they thought they were getting the next Troy Polomalu or Bob Sanders with that pick and he isn't as explosive or powerful as those guys. More predictably, he is a liability against the run because of his size and struggles in coverage against bigger receivers. He'll get better and be a good player, but I think he doesn't have a lot of upside.

Simpson has a lot of upside. IMO, he was learning the tougher position and he held his own. The next step is to be quicker identifying where the ball is going and put those ballskills to work.

My biggest problem with Simpson is that he seems slow at times. I mean LT outran him a few weeks ago and Henry not known for his speed was pulling away from him on his 60 yard run that got called back. Whitner while solid needs to develop into a playmaking, ballhawking safety to justify being picked 8th overall as being solid just won't cut it. He was more off a playmaker and game changer in the first month but kind of faded away. Other than that I will give them credit for at least being solid for while they didn't make many plays they didn't give up many either or get exposed on a game to game basis. But in hindsight I wish we had drafted Ngata and traded up to get Whitner later in the 1st if he was still there. But no one can deny that the 2006 draft overall was a success for the Bills.