Hats off to Fewell & Co.

stuckincincy

ya they did a great job stopping Vince young and travis henry yesterday, the defense lost the game, yes we shoulda kicked the field goal but if the defense could have made a few more stops on the last drive were still talking playoffs instead of shoulda coulda and maybe next year

Merry christmas everyone

877737[/snapback]

I see you take the long view... :D

I see you take the long view... :doh:

877740[/snapback]

ok good point but what im trying to say is that stopping the run has been a problem all year and it was even more evident yeasterday why. we beat the texans and jacksonville but we gave up a ton of yrds on the ground. yes overall i was impressed with the coachong this year but no way on run stuffing

sorry to vent everyone

Merry christmas :D

ok good point but what im trying to say is that stopping the run has been a problem all year and it was even more evident yeasterday why. we beat the texans and jacksonville but we gave up a ton of yrds on the ground. yes overall i was impressed with the coachong this year but no way on run stuffing

sorry to vent everyone

Merry christmas :D

877747[/snapback]

Merry Christmas! :doh:

The Bills are not alone in getting run on. Poor Cincy finally squared up their sorry DT situation only to see their LB corps get slashed by injury. It's a sum of the parts.

I think being injury-free is the key thing for any club. Poor Cleveland - they have had 10+ on IR every year since their 1999 resurretion. Plus, there are few teams that can boast of consistent front 7 strength even if all are healthy.

The Bills having to go with 2 rookie safeties didn't help, as well as the Cover 2 type thing they ran.

The Bills' DTs' get a lot of criticism - but AFAIK, the DEs' aren't noted as being big helpers in the stopping. Not sure - just my impression.

The Bills are not alone in getting run on.

877759[/snapback]

Don't forget Indy. They have struggled mightily with their injuries despite having Dungy and experience with the D.

I don't know if I really like the Tampa-2, but with two rookie safeties, McCargo out, Crowell and Spikes having injury stuff, and the whole team being new to the system and having only three losses by more than a field goal shows that our D kept us in games more than it feels like.

But one of the most interesting things is us only losing three games by more than a field goal. I'm sure lots of people can see this glass as half full and that we don't know how to win close games and all that BS (the same reasons probably are near the top if not the top in close losses).

Losses by more than three points:

SD - 0

CHI, IND, BAL - 2

BUF, NE - 3

PHI, NO, CIN, DEN, JAX, KC, NYJ, TEN - 4

DAL, CAR - 5

SEA, STL, WSH, MIA, NYG - 6

ARI, ATL, GB, MIN, PIT - 7

TB, SF - 8

HOU - 9

CLE - 10

DET, OAK - 12

But if you look at the order of these results it is interesting to see of the four teams ahead of us two are homefielders and two are competing for a bye, the one team tied with us for 5th is a strong division winner. The whole rest of the league had more losses that weren't fieldgoal close than we did. I can't help think this has a very strong silver lining, and certainly has made it a fun season, especially in the second half.

Our D might have been run over in a bunch of games, but they (and our O and special teams) kept us in more games than almost all of the league, and I think that is a strong sign that another year of experience for our young players and with the system, and another well planned off season, and we are a playoff team in 2007.

Go Bills