Naples, FL

smokinandjokin

I currently work for an engineering/project management firm started by my grandfather. There is a huge opportunity to capitalize on the continuing building boom on the west coast of Florida, where several lucrative contracts have been bid on and won. A move to the Naples, Florida area early in 2007 looks highly likely, where I would manage a satellite office there.

I have been to the Ft. Myers/Naples/Marco Island area a couple of times, but only for a few days each time. Does anyone have any info on this area that they could provide? Anything relevant is appreciated. Quality of life/schools/nightlife/beaches/neighborhoods/etc. I would welcome all opinions and shared experiences. Thanks!

(The immediate con I can think of is not being in WNY when the Sabres raise the Cup this spring/summer...)

I currently work for an engineering/project management firm started by my grandfather.  There is a huge opportunity to capitalize on the continuing building boom on the west coast of Florida, where several lucrative contracts have been bid on and won.  A move to the Naples, Florida area early in 2007 looks highly likely, where I would manage a satellite office there.

I have been to the Ft. Myers/Naples/Marco Island area a couple of times, but only for a few days each time.  Does anyone have any info on this area that they could provide?  Anything relevant is appreciated.  Quality of life/schools/nightlife/beaches/neighborhoods/etc.  I would welcome all opinions and shared experiences.  Thanks!

(The immediate con I can think of is not being in WNY when the Sabres raise the Cup this spring/summer...)

874000[/snapback]

Lots of old people that drive really slow

Lots of old people that drive really slow

874017[/snapback]

Hahahaha...Last time I was down there I went out to a 'supposedly' decent bar at about 11pm on a Saturday night. My girlfriend said, "I feel like we're on a cruise." I just started cracking up...Bluehairs everywhere....

I had a couple of good friends that I went to school with down there to work on golf courses. If you like to golf, it is the golf capital of the world with more golf courses per square mile than any other place on earth.

When I went out to visit them we went out to a couple of local hangouts. I wasn't impressed with what they considered the "happening" places in Naples.

I take it your about my age (27) and if acting like a wigger and posing as a wannabe thug that drives around in a tricked out Honda Civic or CRX with glow sticks in your back pocket, make the move. If you are into geriatrics with soft, pliable wrinkly skin who smell like moth balls, I would make the move to. If you allign somewhere in between these two extremes, I wouldn't expect much because there is very little middle ground from what I experienced.

I lived there about 25 years ago. It was great!! I lived in the Golden Gate area.

The night life was pretty good also. All those Collage aged girls coming down to visit there Grand Parents needed someone to show them around. :doh:

The Beaches are beautiful, White sand, just gorgeous!!

I will say this, its expensive to live there. Good Luck!

I know a good bar there called the Palm Isle.  !@#$ed the barmaid last trip.  I mean, I walk into the place and she comes up to me without even saying 'hello' and rubs up against me, her jugs rubbing up against my suit! Nipples hard as little rocks!

874081[/snapback]

Morris, you make me sick when you speak.

I currently work for an engineering/project management firm started by my grandfather.  There is a huge opportunity to capitalize on the continuing building boom on the west coast of Florida, where several lucrative contracts have been bid on and won.  A move to the Naples, Florida area early in 2007 looks highly likely, where I would manage a satellite office there.

I have been to the Ft. Myers/Naples/Marco Island area a couple of times, but only for a few days each time.  Does anyone have any info on this area that they could provide?  Anything relevant is appreciated.  Quality of life/schools/nightlife/beaches/neighborhoods/etc.  I would welcome all opinions and shared experiences.  Thanks!

874000[/snapback]

It's tough to beat the weather, warmer than Tampa in winter and less rainy than Miami. My parents bought a villa in Bonita Springs after I graduated HS in 88' and they have lived in the area in winters ever since. In addition to the aformentioned Buffalo Chips in Naples, there's also a Bills bar called Sneaky Pete's on old 41 in Bonita Springs, (which is one exit north of Naples on 75). The beaches are beautiful, but it's not South Beach in terms of volume of young women, mainly because probably 80% of the population is retired or semi-retired snowbirds. It's kind of an antiseptic environment, but the weather is so damn sweet I dread coming home when I visit in January/February and have considered just moving the family down there for a few months every year after football season is over.

It's tough to beat the weather,  warmer than Tampa in winter and less rainy than Miami.  My parents bought a villa in Bonita Springs after I graduated HS in 88' and they have lived in the area in winters ever since.  In addition to the aformentioned Buffalo Chips in Naples, there's also a Bills bar called Sneaky Pete's on old 41 in Bonita Springs, (which is one exit north of Naples on 75).  The beaches are beautiful, but it's not South Beach in terms of volume of young women, mainly because probably 80% of the population is retired or semi-retired snowbirds.  It's kind of an antiseptic environment, but the weather is so damn sweet I dread coming home when I visit in January/February and have considered just moving the family down there for a few months every year after football season is over.

874557[/snapback]

Are you a construction worker?

It's tough to beat the weather,  warmer than Tampa in winter and less rainy than Miami.  My parents bought a villa in Bonita Springs after I graduated HS in 88' and they have lived in the area in winters ever since.

874557[/snapback]

I hit a HUGE trifecta at the dog track in Bonita Springs about a year ago. Zero strategy in my betting, just ended up with three longshots in my tri who ran in the right order. I thought the place was going to have to board up and lock the doors after paying me out.

Thanks everyone for the input. It seems like a pretty good gig and has the opportunity for exponential growth. I was down there a few months ago when bidding on a few jobs, and the building is unreal. Coming from Buffalo, where you notice IMMEDIATELY when you see a crane doing some heavy lifting, it was quite a difference. There is land being cleared and building going on all over the place. The plus side is, Florida's west coast has the luxury of learning from the over-development mistakes that have been made in certain areas on the state's east coast.

You know, wise ass. You made a spelling mistake the other day, and I let it ride because its the season to be Jolly. I'll be watching you BF. :(  :lol:

874202[/snapback]

I thought I had made a mistake once, but I was wrong. :lol: