Reverse chunkability

Kelly the Dog

...that the Bills have given up a single pass play of 30 yards or more. And that includes short passes which turned into long gainers. It was against the Patsies, in week seven, when Chad Jackson scored on a 35 yard pass play. And in all of those seven games, there have only been 4-5 pass plays of 25 yards or more, and I don't believe any of them went for scores. Hats off to Perry Fewell and Jauron and the rookie safeties and CBs. That's pretty impressive. Granted, teams have been able to run on us all day. But they haven't been able to go down the field, at all.

Given the Bills' inability to shut down the running game reliably, taking away the big play is the only way for the defense to get off the field. Stretch out the number of plays in a drive, give yourself opportunities to string together a couple of stops in a row, and break up the play on third down. I think the defensive coaches have done a great job considering the weakness of the run D.

Given the Bills' inability to shut down the running game reliably, taking away the big play is the only way for the defense to get off the field.  Stretch out the number of plays in a drive, give yourself opportunities to string together a couple of stops in a row, and break up the play on third down.  I think the defensive coaches have done a great job considering the weakness of the run D.

872155[/snapback]

I have noticed that the Bills have been shutting the run down pretty good in the second half. So, they do have the players/schemes in place, they just need to become more consistent. Maybe if Kyle Williams or McCargo gain 10 more pounds for next year, it will be enough.

...that the Bills have given up a single pass play of 30 yards or more.

872107[/snapback]

That is a freakish run of disciplined, error free secondary work considering the rookies. With any luck the bye week could have come a little earlier. It seems to have been good medicine...