Playoff chances- PLEASE HELP

rocketbills

can someone please help me out here? i have a buddy of mine who is a huge steelers fan and we were talking today about the odds/chances of the bills and steelers shocking the nfl with both teams making the playoffs. is this a possibility at all? if anyone can give me the math/scenarios for this to happen, i would be very appreciative...and impressed!!

go bills!!!!

can someone please help me out here?  i have a buddy of mine who is a huge steelers fan and we were talking today about the odds/chances of the bills and steelers shocking the nfl with both teams making the playoffs.  is this a possibility at all?  if anyone can give me the math/scenarios for this to happen, i would be very appreciative...and impressed!!

go bills!!!!

871542[/snapback]

Why not wait another hour?

It'll be heaps easier to figure after the Bengals Lose(Win).

Simply, although not completely, the Bills are the best 7-7 team WRT tie breakers. They also hold tie breakers on NJJ (assuming they lose to MIA), Ciny & Jac. That is assuming that the Bills win their last 2. So the Bills need to win their last 2 & have 3 of the 4 8-6 teams above lose once each except Den would have to lose 2x). If NJJ beat MIA, they finish above us & the other 3 teams must lose.

Determining Pitts tie-breaker status is somewhat time consuming (I did it w/ the Bills & I was familiar w/ their schedule), but suffice it to say, they need at least the outcome for the Bills to make it except they need the Bills to lose at least once, too. If you or your friend are REALLY that curious, I don't think there will be any math involved, unless you have to go WAY down the tie breaker scenarios, the rules are on NFL.com linked under SCHEDULES & of course you can get the results of each candidates games there, too. W/ merely a cursory look, it is not apparent how they stack up in tie breakers w/ any of the 8-6 teams were they to end up 9-7.

I THINK it was still possible for the Bills to make the playoffs prior to this weekend if they finished 8-8, although it was literally like 1,000,000 to 1; I don't know if it's still possible. I doubt it's currently possible for the Steelers.