Tom Brady on Family Guy

/dev/null

God the new Family Guy episodes suck.  It was a solid show before cancelation.  Since it came back, it's been embarrassingly bad.

856076[/snapback]

I don't know about that. It's the same thing it was before it was cancelled. Also, its still as popular as its ever been.

God the new Family Guy episodes suck.  It was a solid show before cancelation.  Since it came back, it's been embarrassingly bad.

856076[/snapback]

Have you been watching the previous few episodes? They've been really good.

They had a small stretch earlier this year that had bad episodes, and the Tom Brady one was part of it. August maybe?

I don't know about that.  It's the same thing it was before it was cancelled.

I've no scientific numbers regarding this, but the proportion of the show that's "flashbacks" seems to have gone WAY up, since it came back. Also, the "really, really, really, really, really, really long joke with minimal payoff" frequency has increased as well. Recurring characters (greased-up deaf guy, Vaudeville guys) are overused and awkwardly shoehorned into the proceedings. The pop culture jokes have gone away from esoteric nostalgia and towards dated jokes about celebrities.

It's just got every indication of bad, lazy writing. And it is PAINFULLY unfunny.

Also, its still as popular as its ever been.

Well, that's upsetting to know. People, evidently, are getting dumber.

Have you been watching the previous few episodes?  They've been really good.

I don't know which ones are which anymore, since I stopped watching them new and only see them on Adult Swim.

All I know is that every time an episode is on that I don't recognize as being from season 3 or earlier, I end up groaning far more often than I laugh.

I think it's tainted for me now.  The new episodes have made me so aware of the blatant flaws in the Family Guy formula that I don't even look at the season 1-3 episodes the same way anymore.

856193[/snapback]

That South Park episode last season with the manatees and idea balls got to ya, huh? ^_^

That South Park episode last season with the manatees and idea balls got to ya, huh?  ^_^

Nah, it was well before that (I stopped watching the new episodes after the awful episode where Meg gets a makeover).

The South Park episode was good, but it didn't really sum me up. The South Park position was that the Family Guy formula is inherently unfunny. I don't believe that. I just think that what they've done with it recently hasn't been funny.

Have you been watching the previous few episodes?  They've been really good.

They had a small stretch earlier this year that had bad episodes, and the Tom Brady one was part of it. August maybe?

856090[/snapback]

The Tom Brady episode is from months ago and was part of the shaky start this season. The last 4 or 5 episodes have been top notch.

I think the show is losing it's effect a bit b/c the reference style writing at times erases the plot.

Still a great show though.

Nah, it was well before that (I stopped watching the new episodes after the awful episode where Meg gets a makeover).

The South Park episode was good, but it didn't really sum me up.  The South Park position was that the Family Guy formula is inherently unfunny.  I don't believe that.  I just think that what they've done with it recently hasn't been funny.

856217[/snapback]

I thought the Meg makeover episode was great, especially when whoever was around her would light themselves on fire and jump out of a building due to her ugliness. Also the "sperm dumpster" shirt had me in stitches.

856076[/snapback]

I gave up on Family Guy about halfway through its first season back after being cancelled. It's not as funny as it used to be. Even the reruns don't have that much value. By comparison, classic Simpsons and South Park episodes never get old.

Speaking of the Simpsons, I gave up on that show about 5 years ago. Every now and then I catch one of the newer ones and I'm pretty sure I haven't missed anything.

I gave up on Family Guy about halfway through its first season back after being cancelled.  It's not as funny as it used to be.  Even the reruns don't have that much value.  By comparison, classic Simpsons and South Park episodes never get old.

Speaking of the Simpsons, I gave up on that show about 5 years ago.  Every now and then I catch one of the newer ones and I'm pretty sure I haven't missed anything.

856288[/snapback]

It's hit or miss with the Simpsons any more, bummer too. I've been forcing myself to watch them again after missing about 5 seasons, certainly a bit more cereberal than Family Guy, but it lacks the violence, poop and aggressive social commentary that SP has.

SP has never gotten old for me.

It's hit or miss with the Simpsons any more, bummer too.  I've been forcing myself to watch them again after missing about 5 seasons, certainly a bit more cereberal than Family Guy, but it lacks the violence, poop and aggressive social commentary that SP has.

SP has never gotten old for me.

856290[/snapback]

I think all shows go through phases like that. SP has some porrer episodes a couple seasons ago, but recently the past 2 seasons have been good (in Canada we are only up to the dog whisperer episode.

Family Guy I find has had a couple mediocre episodes but has been good the entire time

And the Simpsons stopped being funny years ago and is just painful to watch. Homer buys an ice cream truck and becomes an ice cream man :D Even the repeats are not as funny.

One of my favorites and one that has stayed funny through the years in my opinion is King of the Hill. its not overly stupid funny and has had very few lame episodes.

From the episode where Brian and Stewie join the army:

Brian: Oh my god!Did you hear what he just said?! They're seding us to Iraq!

Stewie: Oh, I'm sure he means Fraggel Iraq.

If thats not funny I dont know what is.

The show is still great it just has moments where they run certain jokes too long.

I gave up on Family Guy about halfway through its first season back after being cancelled.  It's not as funny as it used to be.  Even the reruns don't have that much value.  By comparison, classic Simpsons and South Park episodes never get old.

Speaking of the Simpsons, I gave up on that show about 5 years ago.  Every now and then I catch one of the newer ones and I'm pretty sure I haven't missed anything.

856288[/snapback]

That's a great point. I watch the simpsons at 6 and 7 most days because they are the old ones, ( a lot of those written by Conan O'Brien) I can see the same eipisode tons of times and still laugh. The earlier to middle episodes of the Simpsons were and still are awesome. I also agree that the new ones are beyond terrible.

The reason that Family Guy doesn't have much rerun value is because it isn't that great to begin with.

King of the Hill is the best show of that genre. I missed most of them when they were first on, and did not appreciate not only the humor, but the sense of our times, and, as a former resident of that area, how dead on about people that show was. There are a few lame episodes, but, since the episode doesn't depend on a big conclusion in most cases, you can appreciate the character byplay and the sense of loyalty to friends, workplaces, and neighborhoods that almost no other show, animated or real, seems to posess on epiisode TV.