Offensive line flucuations

The offensive line looked better this week.

Let's analyze this for a minute.

In the previous weeks, the offensive line was to blame

for everything going wrong in  Buffalo including that October storm.

This week, there isn't any talk about the O-line.

So what happened this week guys?

Here are a few options.

1. The offensive linemen learned to block during practice this week.

2. Chris v. actually sucked really bad and taking him out was what the o. line needed.

3. JP Losman put a spell on the texan defenders and convinced them to not go after him much like Obi Wan told the thos guards that those in fact are not the droids you're looking for.

4. Maybe the offensive line isn't as bad as we thought .. or as good as they looked this week.

Maybe the coaches did a better job of calling a game that got Losman in three step drops and on the move more often.

843302[/snapback]

I guess they played their best game overall as a group this week. Still, the team has to get two lineman, especially at left tackle. After the season I would still move Peters back to the right tackle spot.

No way.

Peters is playing much better ball on the left side. At least so far.

You need an athletic tackle to protect the blind side. So far Peters has done that.

843533[/snapback]

I disagree. I think next year you will see that the Bills go after a left tackle in the first round. With the amount of talent at left tackle coming out of college this year I think we draft one of those guys. Jason Peters will move back to right tackle.

I just don't see how you do that. The Bills themselves have said that they wanted Peters there all along and finally they made the move. There not going to move him back. Especially with him playing great ball and you have no clue how these rookies coming out will play. It takes time to get used to the NFL speed. I still say that we need to give Pennington a long look because the guy has a hell of a wingspan out there on that right side.

I disagree.  I think next year you will see that the Bills go after a left tackle in the first round.  With the amount of talent at left tackle coming out of college this year I think we draft one of those guys.  Jason Peters will move back to right tackle.

843539[/snapback]

If they do bring in a LT, he will probably be used at RT considering they want Peters at LT and are happy with him there. Peters has done nothing yet to get the Bills to think about drafting a LT

I always want the best playet in Round 1 and then pick OL in Rd 2, 3, 4.

843580[/snapback]

We don't need a script, we need to understand our flaws and use the best options to address them. We clearly need to continue to improve our line, but we don't really know which links are our weakest and what our priorities are yet, because we have LG, RG, RT in those spots only for the last couple games.

We have to see if Gandy shows some strength as a guard, but my first thoughts are that he would probably be replaced. He has six games to prove us wrong.

I'm doubtful about Preston, since he was unable to take a starting spot from any of these guys before injuries got him on the field, and I project him as a backup, but he also has six games to prove that wrong.

I'm hopeful about Pennington. It is much too soon to know, but he might be able to show us by the end of the season that he is our best option rather than a rookie. He moved ahead of Butler (the higher pick) and has played fairly well, and has very good physical talent, but I think it is better to appraise him carefully after the season.

I guess Fowler is sticking around by default in most of the master plans, so we are looking at replacing 1 to 3 starting lineman. I personally would probably like it to be 2 in the end, because I don't think one will be enough and would mean we are overvaluing what we have, and three would be huge turnover as well as committing a lot of our resources.

The most important thing if we bring in expensive free agents or use day 1 picks is to be as sure as possible that they represent an immediate upgrade to that position, and not just an investment for the future/depth.