Do you unleash JP

Bills Fan888

Let JP run and throw and everything he can do  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Let JP run and throw and everything he can do

• Unleash him
    • Keep him leashed

Like it or not, I think that what you've seen the past 2 weeks is the Dick Jauron philosophy on offense. That is, the role of the QB is to primarily hand the ball off -- and not lose the game. I don't think it has anything to do necessarily with WHO the QB is... Given that he's completed a good percentage of his passes over the last 2 weeks and protected the football, contrary to popular fan opinion, I have a feeling that the coaches are actually pretty happy with what Loseman has done on the field.

835644[/snapback]

That is the philsophy this year. Next year when they have an O-Line and good receivers they will throw bombs and do rollouts.

Like it or not, I think that what you've seen the past 2 weeks is the Dick Jauron philosophy on offense. That is, the role of the QB is to primarily hand the ball off -- and not lose the game. I don't think it has anything to do necessarily with WHO the QB is... Given that he's completed a good percentage of his passes over the last 2 weeks and protected the football, contrary to popular fan opinion, I have a feeling that the coaches are actually pretty happy with what Loseman has done on the field.

835644[/snapback]

If I recall, Jauron just commented on the offense. He said something to the effect.... He is happy with JP, he is developing, yes still makes some mistakes, and he still believes he will be a great QB in the NFL. They just need to get him some help.

Because of he does not believe the OL is doing its job in protection, (Now I always get into trouble for assuming,) he is speaking in reguards to the OL.

while it would be nice to see some role outs, and a lot more passing plays, I have to wonder how long JP would survive with out being injured.

Just some food for thought

That is the philsophy this year. Next year when they have an O-Line and good receivers they will throw bombs and do rollouts.

835685[/snapback]

Since one of the reasons for doing rollouts is to buy the QB some time behind a weak offensive line, why wait until next year to do rollouts?

I'm sorry. Were you talking about Hasselbeck or Nall?

835777[/snapback]

Hasselback was traded, not let go in free agency. Hasselbeck was a player that the Packers still perceived some value in. Nall was not enough so for the Packers to retain him for peanuts, relatively speaking. I think that says a lot.

Honestly, if the coaches felt Nall was the guy and they started him and he was successful, I'd be the first person to be happy about that development. What I am sick of from the posters is the harping on a situation that clearly is not going to change, the "I'm ready to give up on JP" posts. The staff isn't, and if we should give up on anybody, it's these dunces in front of him who can't even give him a pocket for a second at a time. I'm not superstitious but when fans don't support their team it shows. I'd rather see people get behind the people we have and prove they're in it for the long haul.

Jauron showed signs of success after a couple seasons in Chi-town. No reason the same turnaround can't happen here. But it has to begin with a concerted rebuilding effort and the results aren't fun for a bit, I'll admit. All the same, I admire what Jauron is trying to do -- I hope it eventually pans out with some better line play and the emergence of JP as a viable starter. I do have my doubts, but as far as I can tell any other option is a much worse one at this juncture. A lot of problems would be solved if this guy can see the light go on in the second half of the season.

I'm happy that the coaches have some resolve to stick with their plans and personnel as they see fit when we just had a pointless merry-go-round in effect last year under Mularkey. That would be much worse -- to feel like the team has tried everything and still made no progress. That word, progress, needs to be the emphasis for these next eight games.

Hasselback was traded, not let go in free agency.  Hasselbeck was a player that the Packers still perceived some value in.  Nall was not enough so for the Packers to retain him for peanuts, relatively speaking.  I think that says a lot.

Honestly, if the coaches felt Nall was the guy and they started him and he was successful, I'd be the first person to be happy about that development.  What I am sick of from the posters is the harping on a situation that clearly is not going to change, the "I'm ready to give up on JP" posts.  The staff isn't, and if we should give up on anybody, it's these dunces in front of him who can't even give him a pocket for a second at a time.  I'm not superstitious but when fans don't support their team it shows.  I'd rather see people get behind the people we have and prove they're in it for the long haul. 

Jauron showed signs of success after a couple seasons in Chi-town.  No reason the same turnaround can't happen here.  But it has to begin with a concerted rebuilding effort and the results aren't fun for a bit, I'll admit.  All the same, I admire what Jauron is trying to do -- I hope it eventually pans out with some better line play and the emergence of JP as a viable starter.  I do have my doubts, but as far as I can tell any other option is a much worse one at this juncture.  A lot of problems would be solved if this guy can see the light go on in the second half of the season.

I'm happy that the coaches have some resolve to stick with their plans and personnel as they see fit when we just had a pointless merry-go-round in effect last year under Mularkey.  That would be much worse -- to feel like the team has tried everything and still made no progress.  That word, progress, needs to be the emphasis for these next eight games.

835784[/snapback]

I agree the Hasselbeck and Nall situations aren't exactly parallel. That said, Nall's season in NFL Europe was very similar to Kurt Warner's. Kurt Warner, by the way, wouldn't have seen the field for the Rams had Trent Green not gone down with an injury. Sometimes guys get written off too quickly, and with too little data. It's not that the coaches are stupid, it's just that there's only so much playing time to be given out.

Now take a guy like Losman. Coming out of college he was considered "raw." "Raw" is another way of saying that he'd done little to prove himself as a pocket passer; a QB who can intelligently pick apart defenses like a Tom Brady or a Peyton Manning. With the way the plays are being called right now, he isn't being given an opportunity to prove whether he has the decision-making ability of a Brady or a Manning. He's barely being given the chance to show flashes of such an ability.

I agree the coaches are probably going to pursue the patient approach you suggest, at least for the 2007 season. The Bills' first round pick will likely be used on a CB to replace Nate Clements. The QB position will once again be a question mark, and fans will again be left to wonder how many of the passing game's problems are due to poor pass protection, and how many are due to inept quarterback play. We'll invest another year in a QB who's done very little, either at the college or pro level, to show that he has the decision making ability that's absolutely essential to be a complete NFL quarterback.

Suppose the offensive line is mildly improved come next season. Suppose further that Losman looks a little better then than he does now. How good does the pass protection need to be before we start expecting Losman to look like Brady--or at least like Romo? At what point do we decide that the time we're investing in Losman's development could be better spent on developing a player like Brady Quinn?

It's one thing to invest a lot of time developing a player like Drew Brees. Brees had proven himself a successful pocket passer in college, and eventually became one in the NFL. Losman is being treated with as much patience as Brees received, without having done nearly as much to earn such patience.

Of the many consequences of Levy's decision to neglect the offensive line going into this season, one is that it becomes harder to evaluate Losman's ability as a pocket passer. Maybe the Bills' staff doesn't feel the same sense of urgency to evaluate Losman that I feel. I don't understand the reasons for this complacency, but I feel it's a mistake.

My answer to this question is short and sweet: absolutely. Why not let him loose? Let's see what he can do when he's not limited to dropping back 17 times a game. We made a big investment on this guy and our defense isn't good enough to solely win games for us.

We are not going to make the playoffs and half the team probably won't be here this year so there's no reason to try to "build" when we will most likely once again, rebuild. Give him 30 attempts with an attempt at balancing the running game and see what happens.

Also, if there is ever a time to "unleash" JP, it is now. We are playing the texans with one of the worst pass defenses in the league. If he is going to do big things, he would do it against them. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Do you think we should still give JP about 15 throws a game and keep him in the pocket or let him run throw bombs and do play actions

834761[/snapback]

Give me a break, the dude has been "unleashed" and proved the one thing he is effective at is turning the ball over. Now we are forced to run the NFL offense for dummys so our QB doesn't turn it over 3 or 4 times.

Give me a break, the dude has been "unleashed" and proved the one thing he is effective at is turning the ball over. Now we are forced to run the NFL offense for dummys so our QB doesn't turn it over 3 or 4 times.

835913[/snapback]

I know the NON PASS PROTECTING OL Has anything to do with it. Darn, Jauron is just like the coaches of the past....... Cause he must be telling you something completely different than what he is telling the press. :doh:

Since one of the reasons for doing rollouts is to buy the QB some time behind a weak offensive line, why wait until next year to do rollouts?

835766[/snapback]

We should be doing them this year but the coaches won't anyway. So i figure we'll do them next year because JP will be more experienced.

The offensive strategy this year is ridiculous. I can't believe that they only let JP throw 13 times the entire game. The bills have a few decent recievers and an overall young team. Jauron has still been trying to simply win games by running the ball. The running game just isn't good enough to carry this team. If the bills want to win they are going to have to find a better balance than 3 run plays for every 1 pass play. The bills are depressing!