Potential positives from unfortunate injuries

Pyrite Gal

There is nothing good about an injury to a player that should make one root for them. However, they are simply a reality in this league and a team has no choice but to try to make lemonade out of these lemons when they occur.

While it is a bummer as a fan to see WM and Reed go out, if neither can return next week, I do look forward to what this may mean for the Bills and their play.

1. The running game now depends on a sub RB-

This is not good as I judge WM to be far better player than Thomas. However. the switch may mean greater productivitu ny the Bills O with Thomas in the immediate future as I think the Bills O probably recognizes in a big way that in order for Thomas to succeed his teammates must open holes for him and make plays rather than simply hoping the highly regarded WM will do something special.

I would not be surprised if the improvement of out running attack with Thomas almost putting up 100 yards and showing some good stuff in crunch time was in part because the OL players (and Shelton who was great today and whom I think has been a negative so far this season) made the extra effort that players seem to make when a well-regarded player goes down .

I also think that part of this may have been due to Thomas's situation as well as I think he showed his greater experience than WM by probably reading his blocks and picking a side to run through a bit better than the still young WM and also he knew that this game was his first real shot since 2004 to show what he could do.

Overall, in the shiort-term the team may be a bit more productive on O with Thomas than with WM.

2. I prefer Evams/Price/Parrish to Evans/Price/Reed in 3 WR sets/ I guess the Bills coaches prefer Reed because they like him in the control game as he really developed into a go-to WR for Losman. However, with Reed gone, I think that Fairchild with have little choice but to go with Parrish more and if they do I like the scary speed of thse 3 WRs and what it essentially forces anh OC to do to utilize what they do well.

I think we have emphasized control as they try to give JP learning experiences, but if they use these 3 (I think they will actually probably use Shelton and 2 WR sets more unfortunately) WRs more I think the O will actually be more effective and i would love to see it.

3. Fairchild with be forced to be liberated-

Just as they used Price today in an end around to pick up a first, i think the absence of WM will force Fairchild to loosen up and go for it a bit more as he will not be able to hope WM springs one.

The irony is that this team may well show a lot more diversity and creativity without the crutch of simply running WM and hoping for the best.

There was one great injury to report today. That cheap ass punk Rodney Harrison had to leave the game tonight with a shoulder injury. Poor guy!!!

Pretty ironic how he was just voted dirtiest player in the league by all his NFL peers. He couldn't understand why he was chosen that. What an a-hole.

There is nothing good about an injury to a player that should make one root for them.  However, they are simply a reality in this league and a team has no choice but to try to make lemonade out of these lemons when they occur.

While it is a bummer as a fan to see WM and Reed go out, if neither can return next week, I do look forward to what this may mean for the Bills and their play.

1. The running game now depends on a sub RB-

This is not good as I judge WM to be  far better player than Thomas.  However. the switch may mean greater productivitu ny the Bills O with Thomas in the immediate future as I think the Bills O probably recognizes in a big way that in order for Thomas to succeed his teammates must open holes for him and make plays rather than simply hoping the highly regarded WM will do something special.

I would not be surprised if the improvement of out running attack with Thomas almost putting up 100 yards and showing some good stuff in crunch time was in part because the OL players (and Shelton who was great today and whom I think has been a negative so far this season) made the extra effort that players seem to make when a well-regarded player goes down .

I also think that part of this may have been due to Thomas's situation as well as I think he showed his greater experience than WM by probably reading his blocks and picking a side to run through a bit better than the still young WM and also he knew that this game was his first real shot since 2004 to show what he could do.

Overall, in the shiort-term the team may be a bit more productive on O with Thomas than with WM.

2. I prefer Evams/Price/Parrish to Evans/Price/Reed in 3 WR sets/  I guess the Bills coaches prefer Reed because they like him in the control game as he really developed into a go-to WR for Losman.  However, with Reed gone, I think that Fairchild with have little choice but to go with Parrish more and if they do I like the scary speed of thse 3 WRs and what it essentially forces anh OC to do to utilize what they do well.

I think we have emphasized control as they try to give JP learning experiences, but if they use these 3 (I think they will actually probably use Shelton and 2 WR sets more unfortunately) WRs more I think the O will actually be more effective and i would love to see it.

3. Fairchild with be forced to be liberated-

Just as they used Price today in an end around to pick up a first, i think the absence of WM will force Fairchild to loosen up and go for it a bit more as he will not be able to hope WM springs one.

The irony is that this team may well show a lot more diversity and creativity without the crutch of simply running WM and hoping for the best.

826343[/snapback]

I think that if Willis doesn't return this week and A-Train has a big week or weeks, than i think that speaks volumes about Willis' market value, and would give the Bills a good measuring stick as to whether or not they should pay him money to keep him, or let him go sign with the Redskins for more money than he is worth.

I think that if Willis doesn't return this week and A-Train has a big week or weeks, than i think that speaks volumes about Willis' market value, and would give the Bills a good measuring stick as to whether or not they should pay him money to keep him, or let him go sign with the Redskins for more money than he is worth.

826348[/snapback]

If WM didn't get injured today, I bet he runs for over 150 easily. GB's run D sucks.

If WM didn't get injured today, I bet he runs for over 150 easily.  GB's run D sucks.

826349[/snapback]

I'm not saying that he wouldn't have, but if someone like A-Train produces next week against the Colts, lets say, i don't think that Willis hits the hole as fast as A-Train and i think it would just say that although our o-line is a problem, maybe it is not the only problem. Am i saying that now? No, certainly not.

I'm not saying that he wouldn't have, but if someone like A-Train produces next week against the Colts, lets say, i don't think that Willis hits the hole as fast as A-Train and i think it would just say that although our o-line is a problem, maybe it is not the only problem. Am i saying that now? No, certainly not.

826362[/snapback]

The only thing with A-train is that he is a straight forward guy, whereas WM can juke around. With our o-line right now, if there is no hole straight ahead, I think A-train struggles. He was decent today, but it was GB. I have been a fan of A-train since Chicago drafted him, but I don't think he plays anywhere near his potential.

The only thing with A-train is that he is a straight forward guy, whereas WM can juke around.  With our o-line right now, if there is no hole straight ahead, I think A-train struggles.  He was decent today, but it was GB.  I have been a fan of A-train since Chicago drafted him, but I don't think he plays anywhere near his potential.

826367[/snapback]

I would agree with the A-Train part. But i think Willis does too much juking sometimes to get around the line and ends up missing the hole or stalling so long that the hole collapses. Juking is something that most players want to do at the second level and not in the backfield. Its just too much to risk.

I would agree with the A-Train part. But i think Willis does too much juking sometimes to get around the line and ends up missing the hole or stalling so long that the hole collapses. Juking is something that most players want to do at the second level and not in the backfield. Its just too much to risk.

826370[/snapback]

You are correct sir. Willis does piss me off by trying to hit the homerun everytime, instead of hitting that hole for 5 or 6 yds. But, I do think he is our best option. I just pray he is okay.

You are correct sir.  Willis does piss me off by trying to hit the homerun everytime, instead of hitting that hole for 5 or 6 yds.  But, I do think he is our best option.  I just pray he is okay.

826384[/snapback]

Amen.

You are correct sir.  Willis does piss me off by trying to hit the homerun everytime, instead of hitting that hole for 5 or 6 yds.  But, I do think he is our best option.  I just pray he is okay.

826384[/snapback]

Can someone please tell me when Willis hit a homerun in a game? For all his juking he goes no where.

A-Train will be better for one reason: he has a reason to play hard. Willis is coasting right now and feels secure until next year when it's contract time. A Train is playing as a teammate.

Pyrite if you think the team is playing harder for A Train you're crazy. It's like saying the O-line plays better for back-up QBs too. A Train was just better than Willis. Willis isn't that great, and he has no great stats to show for it either. He's mediocre at best right now.

Can someone please tell me when Willis hit a homerun in a game? For all his juking he goes no where.

A-Train will be better for one reason: he has a reason to play hard. Willis is coasting right now and feels secure until next year when it's contract time. A Train is playing as a teammate.

Pyrite if you think the team is playing harder for A Train you're crazy. It's like saying the O-line plays better for back-up QBs too. A Train was just better than Willis. Willis isn't that great, and he has no great stats to show for it either. He's mediocre at best right now.

826397[/snapback]

to be fair, mcgahee was doing well before the injury too. i like the new left side and that is probably what made the running game look semi-legitimate today.

Our offense will continue to be hampered until we can find 5 guys that can pass protect without having to leave a tight end and a running back in to help out.

I know it's been said before, but to me this is the real reason Losman is having trouble developing.