The Cost of Election Day

I was watching the news a couple of nights ago and they did a story on election day and improvements made to the town's voting system. This is what the reporter came up with...

A current election costs somewhere in the vacinity of $300,000 for the one day of voting. The town town (Colonie), wants to improve their election day operations. Washington D.C. is willing to pay for electronic voting machines for the town, as well as maintain them and do all of the other sh-- involved with this electronic voting.

Here's the thing that blows my mind.

D.C. is going to pay for the machines and everything involved with the upgrade of the voting process, but for some reason now the town is saying that just for election day it is going to cost them around $680,000 to hold a one day election, EVERY YEAR!

How is this? I didn't know that those old retired broads at the tables were making that much to sit there and be patriotic. Initially i want to say that it is some kind of skimming operation, but maybe i am missing something here. Any ideas?

Wow. In my town of about 3,500 an election/referendum costs about $20,000. Became something of an issue with me b/c in the last budget, they held FIVE referendums.

First it was a 15% increase, then they dropped it by about 1% b/w each after people voted NO. Thing is, in each referendum day, they were spending almost as much just to conduct the vote as it was by what they 'cut' the budget by.

That's how things are pushed through in this and a lot of towns. Voter fatigue.

This year, we are changing from the big old metal check-down voting machines to the paper scanners. We went from 1930s technology to circa 1970s. Don't know how that will affect things. But sh--. Six hundred large for an election for an average-size town is severe overkill. Is the entire police force on overtime for it?

Wow. In my town of about 3,500 an election/referendum costs about $20,000. Became something of an issue with me b/c in the last budget, they held FIVE referendums.

First it was a 15% increase, then they dropped it by about 1% b/w each after people voted NO. Thing is, in each referendum day, they were spending almost as much just to conduct the vote as it was by what they 'cut' the budget by.

That's how things are pushed through in this and a lot of towns. Voter fatigue.

This year, we are changing from the big old metal check-down voting machines to the paper scanners. We went from 1930s technology to circa 1970s. Don't know how that will affect things. But sh--. Six hundred large for an election for an average-size town is severe overkill. Is the entire police force on overtime for it?

821419[/snapback]

I would hope the police are on staff. People are just finding out where their sir charges are going.

But seriously, hoe the hell to you charge that much for one day?