Player by player offensive assessment this year

Pyrite Gal

This is a starting point as the real deal is whether the players together form a TEAM which is greater than the mere sum of the parts assessed here, but its a start in thinking it through.

WR

Evans- Middlin performance so far. Has led the team in catches in most games this year, but still is on a pace to finish below 1000 yds and be really disappointing in terms of TDs. However, all of this points to me as a player who has shown the potential to be the #1 WR we want but he really has not been used well in this scheme which is one of the worst in the league in producing long pass plays.

The number of passes caught indicate that he an JP do have some chemistry, but the lack of long gains and TD seems to speak to his number not being called on downfield plays very much.

Parrish- Impressive so far as he leads the team in per catch avd. TDs and is a reliable return guy on punts. Heeasily has put up #s that would be very good for a #3 WR if only we had production from WRs at the #1 and #2 level.

Aiken- After a good pre-season has not impressed so far in position play and is simply a ST guy

Price- Second on the team in catches but low yards per catch again raises questions about his usage and implementation of our scheme

Reed- Good to see he has gotten over the droppsies which ruined his second year but simply does not pose much of a threat to go deep and his central usage on our anemic O raises questions about our approach.

Davis- His role with this team is on ST and he has been up and down in production in this role for us.

RB-

McGahee- Well on his way to another 1000+ ud season and he is showing some ability to catch passes. His yards per carry remain lower than one would hope from a #1 RB, but he has proved to be a workhorse for us carrying the ball a lot. Has both whiffed and made some outstanding blocks in blitz pick-up (the game where he made two blitz pick-up blocks on the same play was quite impressive), but as long as he makes any mistakes there clearly are those more than willing to declare him mediocre despite his producing one of the best yardage totals among RBs at thos point.

Thomas- Has been OK spelling McGahee but little more than that outside of one game.

Williams- Who?

Shelton- I think they should have cut him after pre-season and he has shown nothing to indicate this was a bad thought.

QB

Losman- Steps forward and steps back in each game. Bes thing about his game is that he has made plays with his legs sometimes, but also has had the calmness to throw it away and live to fight another day ublike in the past. However, his penchant for fumbling is beginning to be a real issue abd one wonders whether it may simply make more sense for Jauron to just let him go and try to make plays and allow him to sink or swim as this current death of a thousand cuts just does not cut it.. Bills seem correctly committed to sticking with him and there will not likely be any serious sign he better play or he will be benched unless we promote Nall to 2nd team and even then they like;y will do this as a motivational move for JP before they seriously decide to look elsewhere.

OL-

Peters- Mpw that he has been moved to LT we will see whether he is in fact the real deal. Gandy disappointed at LT this year after a surprisingly adequate 05 campaign at LT and I like him as a back-up.

Gandy- He was originlly picked to be a guard and there is the potential that he and Peters (if Peters is as good of an athlete as projected that he and Gandy may be a good team one day, but it will probably take some learning time and chemistry development time before this happens if it does. Its to bad Reyes got hurt but his injury may be timely and I feel fine about him as a back-up.

The Bills were comfortable enough with Merz to have him start last week and though he was not particularly impressive he is fine as a 3rd stringer who provides some depth.

Fowler- So so so far. He is not a reject at C, but not a force either. Having him listed on the last injury report as questionable was not a good sign and is a worry as he never has started or even played all 16 games in his career and his good performance for MM last year was cut short due to injury.

Preston- He did not step into Cillarial's slot and command the position as a real starter would have and if Fowler ever goes down and we have to rely on him at C this becomes an issue.

Merz is listed at third string and the fact he started a game for us at LH makes him reasonable depth though C is really a skill position with line calss etc and there is no evidence he can handle them.

RG- Villariial is likely in borrowed time and his back-up Preston has somethings to prove as he did not play well enough to keep Villarial out when he got hurt. With the move of Gandy to LG Reyes may actually be the best RG plan B.

RT- Pennington is now the key to our OL being stable as he has been promoted over the more highly drafted Buler to be our RT. We'll see.

TEs-

Royal had his best game as a Bill on Sunday and Marv is making noises about using the TEs more so perhaps there are some possibilities here. The Nills opened in a 2 TE set and sat the poorly playing Shelton for Everett who at least has been adequate in getting some PT this year though he has been unspectacular. it was great to see Neufeld get a TD so perhaps this unit can turn their merely adequate play into being a weapon with better use.

Overall, I think we need a scheme shift here. The offense needs to stretch the field more sending Price and Evans deep. i have no problem benching Everett for Parrish andreally challenging the opposing DBs. Opponents do not respect our passing game and they line up a lot of folks in the box and it is no wonder WM has been solid but unspectacular.

Maybe Peerless Price simply isn't very good. He hasn't shown anything since he left Buffalo the first time.

It is fine to say "stretch the field" but to do that, the offensive line has to block adequately so the receivers can get down field. That simply isn't happening.

I've heard somewhere that McGahee runs better without a fullback, I know it's rare in the NFL to not use a fullback but we should be playing to McGahee's strengths...

819532[/snapback]

agreed, but there were single-back offense more commonly five years ago, but shelton is more of a liability. In a single back set, you can utilize roscoe and reed more, as well everett and neufeld (who can motion to a FB if needed)

My grades:

Losman: C

McGahee: B-

A Thomas: C

Shelton:D+

Evans: B-

Price: C

Reed: B

Parrish: C

Davis: C

Royal: B-

Everett: C

Gandy: D-

Reyes: C

Fowler: C-

Villarial: D+

Peters: B+

Preston: C+

Pennington: C

Merz: C

Schobel: B

Kelsay: B+

Denney: B+

Triplett: C+

Williams: B+

Anderson: D+

Spikes: B-

Fletcher-Baker: B-

Crowell: C

Ellison: B+

Haggan: C-

DiGiorgio: C

McGee: D+

Clements: D+

K Thomas: D+

Whitner: B+

Wire: C+

Simpson: C+

Leonard: C

Moorman: A-

Lindell: A-

Schneck: B+

I've heard somewhere that McGahee runs better without a fullback, I know it's rare in the NFL to not use a fullback but we should be playing to McGahee's strengths...

819532[/snapback]

All you have to do is look at the Colts and the Pats. The fact that Clark is so versatile and can be split out wide their single back, 2 TE set has been a killer. For us I'd prefer to have either Parrish or Reed in the slot but the few times they have split Royals out he has been impressive. Maybe they should use the 2 TE set more and split him and Everett out more. My biggest gripe is that Shelton is not that much of a difference maker on the field in the run game and no factor whatsoever in the passing game and when he is in the game we run 80% of the time and defenses key on that. Combine that with the fact that WM seems to favor the offtackle and cutback type runs where you can use your vision more, l'd like to see more stretch and off tackle runs called and oonly bring Shelton in on goaline.

My biggest gripe is that Shelton is not that much of a difference maker on the field in the run game and no factor whatsoever in the passing game and when he is in the game we run 80% of the time and defenses key on that.

820120[/snapback]

I think that sums up a huge problem with our offense. First, we have a player on the field that does little to help the play; therefore, when he's on the field we're a man down. Second, he tips the play to the defense; therefore, its harder to be successful with that play.

Take Shelton out and put another possible receiver out their (TE) and JP has another option if its a pass. If its a run, you still have a blocker. Essentially, you've just made the offense less predictable and put a player on the field that may actually contribute.

I think that sums up a huge problem with our offense.  First, we have a player on the field that does little to help the play; therefore, when he's on the field we're a man down.  Second, he tips the play to the defense; therefore, its harder to be successful with that play. 

Take Shelton out and put another possible receiver out their (TE) and JP has another option if its a pass. If its a run, you still have a blocker.  Essentially, you've just made the offense less predictable and put a player on the field that may actually contribute.

820181[/snapback]

Not to mention he's had two rediculously costly false start penalties. He's the freakin' fullback, how the heck does he false start?

Take Shelton out and put another possible receiver out their (TE) and JP has another option if its a pass.

820181[/snapback]

It also would help if they actually got the TE's involved in the passing game. That is why the passing game for us doesn't work with in base personell as we don't throw the ball to the TE's or backs so it makes us easy to defend and take away WR's on the outside. And to make it worse, WM and Royal seem to be viable targets when the ball is thrown to them.