Willis' speed

Hurls

Doesn't show up on the field.

He is a wuss who fears contact and isn't nearly as fast as people proclaim. Exactly what we want in a franchise back.

DaQuixers isn't making anything up, it's right here:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/mcgahee_willis

Now, this isn't a combine time, it's a campus time, and considering he was busted up between the Orange Bowl and the draft, it was from before the knee thing.  But still, there you go.  4.24.

815867[/snapback]

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He is a wuss who fears contact and isn't nearly as fast as people proclaim.  Exactly what we want in a franchise back.

815964[/snapback]

This is possibly the most outrageously misinformed, blind and retarded thing I've ever read on this board, and there is some stiff competition.

Perhaps I was too harsh.

But I have seen enough to believe that (a) he doesn't have breakaway speed and (b) he doesn't play hard consistently, he plays hard when he wants to.

This is possibly the most outrageously misinformed, blind and retarded thing I've ever read on this board, and there is some stiff competition.

815993[/snapback]

Perhaps I was too harsh.

But I have seen enough to believe that (a) he doesn't have breakaway speed and (b) he doesn't play hard consistently, he plays hard when he wants to.

815998[/snapback]

The speed comment has something to debate about atleast. I'll give you that. The part about contact almost made me fall aout of my chair :blink:

Doesn't show up on the field.

He is a wuss who fears contact and isn't nearly as fast as people proclaim.  Exactly what we want in a franchise back.

815964[/snapback]

Fears contact ... uhm ... not.

815993[/snapback]

Good post.

HAHAHA :lol:  there is no way he is 4.24 that is faster than reggie bush isnt it? get the hell outta here more like in the 4.45 ballpark

816118[/snapback]

That was according to NFL.com

HAHAHA :lol:  there is no way he is 4.24 that is faster than reggie bush isnt it? get the hell outta here more like in the 4.45 ballpark

816118[/snapback]

the 4.24 40 time was from before the knee injury, but if you would've read instead of glancing you would've seen that. I'd say his 40 time now is probably around 4.55 to be fair, which is still plenty fast. Like I've said previously we lack playmakers on this offense, but I refuse to dog a guy who got 3/4ths of our offensive and I use that term loosely output on sunday.

Brilliant!  Immediately following that play, I remember thinking... can't wait to see the posts about Willis' lack of speed and how he should be cut because he can't break the long run.    It took longer than I expected, but its nice to know some things remain constant. 

Pissing on the one bright spot we have on offense is absurd.

815421[/snapback]

I thought the same thing right after the play and though the idiocy was late in starting the absurdity has really spring forth adter your post. If some of these folks had been Browns fans Jim Brown would have never retired because they would have cut him and gotten a contract killer to do him in first.

(btw the above comment was made not to compare WM to Brown since there obviously is no comparison but the give speech o how psychotic folks sound saying he avoids getting hit).

Brilliant!  Immediately following that play, I remember thinking... can't wait to see the posts about Willis' lack of speed and how he should be cut because he can't break the long run.    It took longer than I expected, but its nice to know some things remain constant. 

Pissing on the one bright spot we have on offense is absurd.

815421[/snapback]

Yeah, how absurd of some of us to actually think that we could find almost any back to be productive behind a Bills team that would use Willis' type money on an offensive lineman or two.

I mean how tough could it be to find a running back with little speed who could average 3 plus yards a carry? I, myself, would use the Bronco's approach and find my RB last. That is, FIND SOME O-LINE first, add a mediocre back second.

Hear's hoping Drew Rosen-dick holds out Willis. We finally trade him, and use some money on an o-line. And then go out and get someone like Michael Turner and turn him into a productive #1, ala, Chester Taylor.

That's absurd though.

Yeah, how absurd of some of us to actually think that we could find almost any back to be productive behind a Bills team that would use Willis' type money on an offensive lineman or two.

I mean how tough could it be to find a running back with little speed who could average 3 plus yards a carry?  I, myself, would use the Bronco's approach and find my RB last.  That is, FIND SOME O-LINE first, add a mediocre back second.

Hear's hoping Drew Rosen-dick holds out Willis.  We finally trade him, and use some money on an o-line.  And then go out and get someone like Michael Turner and turn him into a productive #1, ala, Chester Taylor. 

That's absurd though.

816200[/snapback]

actually they found him 2nd

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/years/2004

41 Denver Tatum Bell RB Oklahoma State

I like turner, but he's gonna want to get paid too, so I doubt we sign him Hell why we're at it lets just get rid of everyone who shows some level of talent cause odds are they'll want to be paid. Let's field a team of talentless !@#$s who we can pay in raisins and lint.

actually they found him 2nd

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/years/2004

41 Denver Tatum Bell RB Oklahoma State

I like turner, but he's gonna want to get paid too, so I doubt we sign him Hell why we're at it lets just get rid of everyone who shows some level of talent cause odds are they'll want to be paid. Let's field a team of talentless !@#$s who we can pay in raisins and lint.

816209[/snapback]

Oh so now, let's just get rid of everyone huh? Is that what I meant? Or would I have drafted a couple of lineman similar to the Jets and found me a Leon Washington?

Running Backs, outside of the very few elite (Barber, Tomlinson, and Johnson) are a dime a dozen behind a solid line.

When you've got an average guy like McGahee, a good GM would sell high. Of course, that takes Belicheck like courage, which we don't have.

I'm fearful of the Jets in the future. If the young O-Line guys that they drafted prove to have durability, they are going to not only get better over the next few years, but they are going to turn dominant.

Us on the other hand.......Well, we have a revolving door on the offensive side, and a rotation of Canadian League type Defensive Lineman on that side. But hey, we have depth.....they might all suck.....but at least we have 500 of them........along with the slowest starting RB in the NFL. But hey the NFL said Willis is a star, so he must be. After all, he can sing and dance to "NFL Replay". Yeah, that's what we need.

Well said. Willis is a mediocre back... and running backs rank among the easiest to replace.

But just step back and watch as everyone on the board considers him a top-5 caliber back.

Running Backs, outside of the very few elite (Barber, Tomlinson, and Johnson) are a dime a dozen behind a solid line.

When you've got an average guy like McGahee, a good GM would sell high.  Of course, that takes Belicheck like courage, which we don't have. 

816221[/snapback]

Well said.  Willis is a mediocre back... and running backs rank among the easiest to replace.

But just step back and watch as everyone on the board considers him a top-5 caliber back.

816235[/snapback]

No kidding man. All you have to do is go to the games in person, and people start to see it plain as day. While our O-Line isn't the greatest, when they do block, which they have on occasion, Willis does little to make them look better, also.

Add to that, that his pass blocking is sub-par, and that he is one of the dumbest human beings on Earth, and you have......well.....

You have Willis.

The Kansas City Royals have a decent player or two on their baseball team. Doesn't mean they are good enough to build a team around.

The Buffalo Bills have a decent player or two.....well, you get the idea.

Well said.  Willis is a mediocre back... and running backs rank among the easiest to replace.

816235[/snapback]

I assume that your two comments should not be linked together to conclude that if you are not a top caliber back then you are mediocre.

Or am I wrong to assume that you do not link two parts of the same short post to draw a conclusion you view as rational.

Backs are pretty easy to replace because:

1) It is hard to run behind a crappy line

2) It isn't that hard to run behind a very good line

3) It is an athletic position that often by the time you are well known for being good, you have been beaten up too much to avoid a decline

But Willis is very good, and as long as he plays for us he is one of our strengths. When he isn't available to play for us anymore I will gladly take our chances at replacing him, but he takes way too much abuse around here for the quality of player he is.

He is #5 in the NFL in yardage, and nobody has carried more than he has (some will say that the latter is the only reason for the former, but I disagree). He has a better yards per carry than Larry Johnson, and the same as Ladainian Tomlinson and a better longest run than LJ or Tiki Barber. And he has done this for a struggling offense and a terrible O-Line.

So let's hurry and run him out of town right now, instead of respecting his ability and contributions for a young struggling team. I'll take a Super Bowl win any way we can get it and have no great support for Willis on a personal level (I'm not a fan of the personalities that come out of The U), but if Bellicek were hired as coach I bet he'd want Willis to stay his running back and would improve other aspects of the team.

If Bellichick were on this team, Willis' antics would not be tolerated. Missing blocks, running out of bounds to avoid contact with a defensive back and get yardage, and often dancing before hitting holes...

With that being said, Bellechick being the coach that he is, might force him to get better in that regard.

but if Bellicek were hired as coach I bet he'd want Willis to stay his running back and would improve other aspects of the team.

816301[/snapback]

If running backs are so easy to replace then why do teams give up great CB's and 1st round picks to get a running back?

If Bellichick were on this team, Willis' antics would not be tolerated.  Missing blocks, running out of bounds to avoid contact with a defensive back and get yardage, and often dancing before hitting holes...

With that being said, Bellechick being the coach that he is, might force him to get better in that regard.

816312[/snapback]

Willis has been getting better with his blocking the past few games and its not like he is not trying to get better. If you read his quotes, he talks about how that is one area of hia game that he is really trying to improve on.

Avoiding contact? other than running out of bounds against NE early on, I dont remember what your referring to. You are talking about the same Willis who stiff-arms LB's to the ground right?

Dancing? yep. your right about that.

I really don't have any major problems with our one successful play.

815300[/snapback]

(Sigh)

The play was tragic. The equivalent of missing an open net (for you Sabre fans).

I like Willis. Sure, the gimpy DB had the angle and the reachback straightarm failed but I needed him to score on that play. It reminds me of that Mcgee return that ground to a halt on the three with time running out in the half in some forgotten dead end game. Missed opportunities are becoming the emblamatic memories of this particular collection of Bills.