Weis: I'm staying at Notre Dame for life.

Tux of Borg

MSN.com

Irish's Weis wants to stay put

SOUTH BEND, Ind. - Charlie Weis got some "feelers" from NFL teams during Notre Dame's bye weekend on his interest in returning to the pros.

Weis said after the Irish practice Wednesday he told those in contact the same thing he told teams last year — he's happy where he is.

"Everyone knows I'm staying here until they fire me or I die," he said. "I'm here for life. That's what I said I was going to do. So why would I not be a man of my word?"

Weis, in his first year coaching the Irish last season, signed a new 10-year contract during Notre Dame's second bye week of 2005 following reports that NFL teams were interested in talking with him. Weis, who as offensive coordinator helped the New England Patriots to three Super Bowl titles, originally had signed a five-year contract with his alma mater.

Weis said the new contract he signed last season should have made it clear to NFL teams he plans to stay at Notre Dame.

"It would cost me too much money to leave. Money I do not have. I do not have it," he said. "Millions of dollars for me to leave. And the last time I checked, I don't have it."

Weis said his 13-year-old son saw a television report speculating that Weis might be angling for even more money.

"That's a pretty good idea if that's what I'm planning to do, but I don't think they're planning on doing that," Weis said. "I don't think they intend on giving me any more money."

Weis will stay at Notre Dame...forever if he can.

He realizes he's got a shot at being mentioned with the greatest ND coaches ever...right up there with Rockne, Ara, Holtz.

Why should Charlie Weis go anywhere when he can become a legend right where he is?

He realizes he's got a shot at being mentioned with the greatest ND coaches ever...right up there with Rockne, Ara, Holtz.

811738[/snapback]

Let's see what he does next year. ND legends always deliver in year 3....

p.s. OMG what a play by Quinn/Samardzija....!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.