Music videos by Jay-Z at halftime

taterhill

It's all in what you've lived and seen in life. How you've grown up. I'm not going to try and generalize your childhood or family state by your comments, but I know you've probably never lived in a situation like the verse that I typed out in my last post. Not everyone grows up in an enriching environment. You adapt to your surroundings, try to make it, and always aspire for better than what you already have. Realistically, rap or sports IS the only way out for alot of these kids. If you're too blind to see how the public school sytems are run in the "ghetto" areas then you are a fool. They could give one big s#*# about these kids or what they become in life. So they learn more from the streets than in the classroom and live the only way that they know how.

808937[/snapback]

I disagree, i had two roommate in the military that grew up in south central Los Angeles. Neither one of these guys had sh-- growing up. But they joined the military to have a better life. Robbie is now an E-7 Drill Sgt and Bri designs computer games for a living. So the opportunity to better you life is out there... if you want to.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what bothers me most about the posts in this thread is that those who don't like rap,"crap", hip hop or whatever you want to call it pretend like the music they listened to in the 60's, 70's or 80's was so much better. There was plenty of songs about drugs and sex in those era's as well.

Now I'm just waiting for "The 60's and 70's were a different time, there was a war going on...Yada,Yada,Yada,Blah,Blah" post. What a crock of Sh** that excuse always is. I hate when people say that crap. There were songs about sex and drugs in those eras and people embraced it because of the political climate of that time and now those people ARE who they're parents were. Get over yourselves people it's nothing new if you don't like it don't listen to it but please stop badmouthing it.

I disagree, i had two roommate in the military that grew up in south central Los Angeles.  Neither one of these guys had sh-- growing up.  But they joined the military to have a better life.  Robbie is now an E-7 Drill Sgt and Bri designs computer games for a living.  So the opportunity to better you life is out there... if you want to.

809003[/snapback]

I have a ton of respect for people who make decisions such as that. I read an article a few years ago about a kid who came to this country from somewhere in Africa. Didn't speak english very well, didn't have much money or family, but he basically LIVED on the subway, got himself into HS, made good grades and ended up with a full ride to College. People in this country love to make excuses....hell, I'll even admit that I used to be the type of person who did that when I was in my early 20s. It's easy to make excuses about how you can't do this or that, or how someone else is keeping you down or whatever. It's nothing more than crap. If you have the motivation to have a life for yourself and/or your family, then it's there for the taking.

I have a ton of respect for people who make decisions such as that. I read an article a few years ago about a kid who came to this country from somewhere in Africa. Didn't speak english very well, didn't have much money or family, but he basically LIVED on the subway, got himself into HS, made good grades and ended up with a full ride to College. People in this country love to make excuses....hell, I'll even admit that I used to be the type of person who did that when I was in my early 20s.  It's easy to make excuses about how you can't do this or that, or how someone else is keeping you down or whatever. It's nothing more than crap. If you have the motivation to have a life for yourself and/or your family, then it's there for the taking.

809641[/snapback]

Agreed, good post.