Jobs

VABills

Okay folks, we just won a fairly major contract (2 actually) and are ramping up quickly in the Northern VA, DC area. Some spots will be in Mclean, Some in DC and possibly some with our sub in Maryland.

We are probaly hire 15 folks within the first 30-60 days with another possible 30-35 over the next year. This is for a federal government agency.

We need programmers with Cold Fusion and/or Java J2EE.

We need DBA's with Sybase and/or Oracle ( we are switching to Oracle within 6 months)

We also need analyst (system and business, as well as testers and tech writers).

I don't think we pay relocation fees so you have to be committed to moving. tis area is growing big time, low unemployement, etc... So longterm could be a great career move.

Anyhow, if you have or know someone with the skills in the area or willing to move. PM me, and I will give you my email to send it to me.

So everyone is unemployed or so the left would have your believe. Yet my company and its sub's are hiring 30+ people almost immediately and noone needs a job. Hummm. Seems to me either everyone is employed and just want to say "Bush Bad", or......... or you don't want a job.

Seriously we are doing a job fair this wek, and we will be hiring a good chunk of these folks within 30-60 days. Contract is 5 years long. With 2 years of work already tasked out and funds obligated.

So everyone is unemployed or so the left would have your believe.  Yet my company and its sub's are hiring 30+ people almost immediately and noone needs a job.  Hummm.  Seems to me either everyone is employed and just want to say "Bush Bad", or......... or you don't want a job. 

Seriously we are doing a job fair this wek, and we will be hiring a good chuck of these folks within 30-60 days.  Contract is 5 years long.  With 2 years of work already tasked out and funds obligated.

62367[/snapback]

VA BAD, JOBS BAD, BUSH BAD. Your olive branch is broken. ;)

What is the agency again?  Is the work directly to the agency?  What are the benefits, the usual fed bennys?  Is the job a FTE position?

No PCS?  Why?

What happens after 2 years if it is not funded.  5 years?

62569[/snapback]

Exiled no offense, but the first sentence said we won the contract. As with any government contract they can choose not to fund it, but since the system manages billions of dollars of contracts and property I don't think they will drop the system. Secondly they cannot recompete it for 5 years, so.

We as a company do not pay for moving costs. I know some do, but in the government contracting world, margins are very low, regardless of what you hear on the news. So we cannot and most cannot pick up the costs.

Yes they are all fulltime. Also if you read, some work maybe onsite, and some folks will be out at corporate or possibly subcontractor offices.

Oh and you must be a US citizen, this is a government client stipulation since you may have have access to sensitive information.

So everyone is unemployed or so the left would have your believe.  Yet my company and its sub's are hiring 30+ people almost immediately and noone needs a job.  Hummm.  Seems to me either everyone is employed and just want to say "Bush Bad", or......... or you don't want a job. 

Seriously we are doing a job fair this wek, and we will be hiring a good chunk of these folks within 30-60 days.  Contract is 5 years long.  With 2 years of work already tasked out and funds obligated.

62367[/snapback]

My bet is that you will have a tough time filling these jobs. Simple fact is, the vast majority of people who want to be employed....ARE. Not very complicated.

Exiled no offense, but the first sentence said we won the contract.  As with any government contract they can choose not to fund it, but since the system manages billions of dollars of contracts and property I don't think they will drop the system.  Secondly they cannot recompete it for 5 years, so. 

We as a company do not pay for moving costs.  I know some do, but in the government contracting world, margins are very low, regardless of what you hear on the news.  So we cannot and most cannot pick up the costs.

Yes they are all fulltime.  Also if you read, some work maybe onsite, and some folks will be out at corporate or possibly subcontractor offices.

Oh and you must be a US citizen, this is a government client stipulation since you may have have access to sensitive information.

62601[/snapback]

Me bad... Sorry.

I thought you workerd for the government and put out the contract. I wasn't sure what was really going on.

Why would anybody want to make the move when things are so iffy? No vested interest in the future? I guess that is just the way the world works now.

I still can't figure out what gives? They are always talking about contracting out in the Corps.

The thing people fail to realize is that the contractor only does what is in the contract... Nothing more... How the heck do they write in every little detail (like internet usage :D:D;):( )? In the end they end up putting more restrictive measures on the customer (example being mandatory PFD wearing at some contract operated locks, hours of operation, queueing restrictions, etc...).

Kinda of funny. Here in the Corps they contract out operations at the downtown lock. Sure operations are done through the contractor, yet, all maintenance is still done in-house through the Corps. This arrangement really leaves the place looking like a dump. Totally nothing is done by the operation staff to better the place... Why should they? I figure in the long run, it is costing the agency more with this arrangement. The contractor there is supposed to pay prevailing wages. The contract employees haven't seen a raise in two years and the company only pays an extra 2 bucks an hour for the employees to pick up their own health insurance...? Why pay a middle man? :D What gives?

Kinda like the Army now. "Total Army?" In the old days everybody had a part in everything. It broke, you fixed it. It needed to be cleaned, you cleaned it. Now everything is left to outside sources. Pretty soon the soldiers will be just standing there with a weapon... While everything around them gets done for them. They say this leads to good "fighting effectiveness"... How can it if you are constently dependent on others for support? You can see it now with the returning soldier. One guy came back and doesn't want to do anything above sitting there at "the switches." Yet, here at my sight, acres upon acres of grass still has to be cut, "miles" of paint has to be laid seasonally in the marine environment, and other back-breaking maintainence has to be accomplished. You would think that they didn't have to do that kinda of stuff on active duty anymore? Do they?

Cincy made a good reference a few days ago about how some companies are getting into trouble by letting go the "oldies." I see the same thing happening in the government.

Here on the inland waterways, where you have to staff 24/7/365, in the end the customer will suffer. I guess that is what they want now. I guess the most efficient organization is to cut everything to the bone and spread it out amongst varying indivdual entities?

End of rant.

:D