That Falcons Option Play Maybe We Should

cale

I don't really like it when we call plays planned to have JP run. They never seem to work all that well. I'm not saying JP can't run cause obviously he can scramble for yards which I always like to see and wish he would do more often when the pocket closes on him. But whenever we play a called qb sneak it doesn't seem to work i.e. the bootleg in the jets game.

I don't really like it when we call plays planned to have JP run.  They never seem to work all that well.  I'm not saying JP can't run cause obviously he can scramble for yards which I always like to see and wish he would do more often when the pocket closes on him.  But whenever we play a called qb sneak it doesn't seem to work i.e. the bootleg in the jets game.

796322[/snapback]

I hate it when we call those running plays for JP cause he doesn't know how to slide. He either keeps running til he is forced out of bounds or drops down instead of sliding feet first like most normal QB's would do. He is going to get killed if he keeps running the way he does.

Also, JP running should only be an asset used as a last resort, like if a play breaks down and he is being chased. He should not have plays written speciffically to run (or if they do, only one or 2 that are used sparingly)

I'm not one to jump down anyone's throat on suggestions, but I'll say this about the Shotgun Spread Option: you have to practice it from training camp at a minimum if you want to get it down. There are too many sightlines, too many techniques with ball feeding to the back and when you should run, etc. to just throw it in one week against a team. I think something like a draw would help suck them in and that TE screen we used on the first TD drive. We need plays that make them overpersue (which they will do) and allow our guys to get open.

JP should not be running. Scrambling maybe, but not running. Take a look at what they did to Vick last year when (again) he'd been running on the league. They whupped him like a government mule! I think if we can get a lot of YAC and a lot of Willis getting big yards after first contact we'll slowly win the trench war.