Is the NFL rigged?

Catholic Guilt

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who see a conspiracy fixing the games:  Who is doing it and why?

I'd love to see answers that are beyond saying that it is THEM and they are doing it because they can.

787939[/snapback]

It boils down to profit margins and greed. All in all, MONEY. Advertisers of the NFL and the NFL itself would have the purpose and the power to be able to pull off something of this magnitude.

Is it possible? Yes. Likely? Not as likely, but still possible.

Look at how much money the NFL takes in. They just signed the largest TV contract in history last year. The sport is so popular they launched a network. Fantasy Football growing in popularity and brings in alot of money. Money, Money, Money.

When Money is involved - all bets are off.

Look at how much money the NFL takes in. They just signed the largest TV contract in history last year. The sport is so popular they launched a network. Fantasy Football growing in popularity and brings in alot of money. Money, Money, Money.

When Money is involved - all bets are off.

788099[/snapback]

I agree with you and the post above it by BoondockCL. Money and greed are big drivers for the NFL.

However, this strikes me as an argument for why the game is NOT rigged.

The NFL does not have to rig games to make money hand over fist over toe or hsmmerlock etc.

They can get boatloads of cash without breaking the law at all. In fact, rigging the games presents a real risk of endangering this gravy train so one would be stupid to rig the games when you do not have to.

I think you are right that it is possible, because people do stupid things for money and stupid things when they realize that money does not really satisfy them at all, so folks do stupid things for power, for sex, or because they can all the time.

However, it is exactly this greed motivation that is the primary reason why they have tons of lawyers so they can get as close to the line as they can to maximize their profits, but never cross it (without and ability to maintain deniability or escape liability.

My faith in human beings leads me to conclude the games are not rigged because if someone were really writing scripts they could produce better scripts and stories than they do.

My faith in the greed of human beings also leads me to conclude the games are not rigged to make money because they do not have to, under the law the NFL hasa license to steal and they do. Why rig the games and mess up a great deal where you make more money than reasonable by any human standard.

I agree with you and the post above it by BoondockCL.  Money and greed are big drivers for the NFL.

However, this strikes me as an argument for why  the game is NOT rigged.

The NFL does not have to rig games to make money hand over fist over toe or hsmmerlock etc.

They can get boatloads of cash without breaking the law at all.  In fact, rigging the games presents a real risk of endangering this gravy train so one would be stupid to rig the games when you do not have to.

I think you are right that it is possible, because people do stupid things for money and stupid things when they realize that money does not really satisfy them at all, so folks do stupid things for power, for sex, or because they can all the time.

However, it is exactly this greed motivation that is the primary reason why they have tons of lawyers so they can get as close to the line as they can to maximize their profits, but never cross it (without and ability to maintain deniability or escape liability.

My faith in human beings  leads me to conclude the games are not rigged because if someone were really writing scripts they could produce better scripts and stories than they do.

My faith in the greed of human beings also leads me to conclude the games are not rigged to make money because they do not have to,  under the law the NFL hasa license to steal and they do.  Why rig the games and mess up a great deal where you make more money than reasonable by any human standard.

788135[/snapback]

Prediction: New Orleans will be in the championship game based on 6-8 questionable calls by the officials........bet the house on it!

Link the poll.

787911[/snapback]

The poll was talked about on CNN and Fox. It's hard to link something seen on TV. If you don't want to believe it, don't believe it. Hannity was disputing the poll as liberal propaganda as well. The thing is, I don't believe it to be a bi-partisan issue, it's just whether you believe our government or not. I choose not to.

Prediction:  New Orleans will be in the championship game based on 6-8 questionable calls by the officials........bet the house on it!

788152[/snapback]

NFL football is like reality shows. They claim to be real, but several parts are scripted or edited (the referees part) to create more interest. The average fans are ignorant (people on the board for the most part are not average fans, otherwise they wouldn't be posting here), so the league has to drum up more interest to increase the ratings and advertising $ for the networks that had to pay out BILLIONS. The best way to do this is to create human interest stories and market the popular teams and focus on the superstars until our stomache turns sour (like TO on ESPN). It's not completely fixed, it's just not as real as we think, and it's getting worse year after year. Small market teams like us are leftout in this menagerie the NFL has created for their own corporate greed.

It would be incredibly hard to rig american football. There are so many small things that could happen to mess up the rigging.

786895[/snapback]

yeah - I could see how it would be prohibitive to have a ref blow a key play dead (like on a pick for a TD) when a team is going to upset the fix.

Just claim he went out of bounds :D

yeah - I could see how it would be prohibitive to have a ref blow a key play dead (like on a pick for a TD) when a team is going to upset the fix.

Just claim he went out of bounds :blink:

788493[/snapback]

Amen Brother!

They could do that or throw a bull sh-- flag.

It doesn't matter! We, like the NFL, have made up our minds.

788898[/snapback]

Fair enough and if they do make it to the NFC championship game after 6-8 ODD and very QUESTIONABLE calls (it will take that IMHO) then I will be right there with you. Honestly with their schedule it might not take the questionable calls for me to buy in to the conspiracy theory and even call for a broadening of the conspiracy including the players/owners/coaches etc.

Fair enough and if they do make it to the NFC championship game after 6-8 ODD and very QUESTIONABLE calls (it will take that IMHO) then I will be right there with you. Honestly with their schedule it might not take the questionable calls for me to buy in to the conspiracy theory and even call for a broadening of the conspiracy including the players/owners/coaches etc.

788914[/snapback]

Again, Look at last years Superbowl if you need proof.

Another good read on the game

And another

Umm have you seen their schedule from here on out?

788893[/snapback]

No I haven't, but thats not the point and it doesn't fit the theory. I'll stick by my prediction.....

And further more they will win all their home games, gotta pay for that stadium.....whatever superbowl is up next goes to N.O. :blink:

I saw this post and just wanted to make an observation, which I don't think has been posted. I am not a conspiracy theorist or anything but after the New England game earlier this year, my blood got boiling and I looked back and the travesties in the NFL but mostly against Buffalo. In the 4 Super Bowl losses, the Bills didn't play against the Giants, Redskins and Cowboys, they played against the #1, #6 and #4 television markets, or close to those rankings. I don't know about any of you but all I hear with the NFL is the TV money. Just a thought but large TV markets are going to win more often than small ones. Just my opinion.

I saw this post and just wanted to make an observation, which I don't think has been posted. I am not a conspiracy theorist or anything but after the New England game earlier this year, my blood got boiling and I looked back and the travesties in the NFL but mostly against Buffalo. In the 4 Super Bowl losses, the Bills didn't play against the Giants, Redskins and Cowboys, they played against the #1, #6 and #4 television markets, or close to those rankings. I don't know about any of you but all I hear with the NFL is the TV money. Just a thought but large TV markets are going to win more often than small ones. Just my opinion.

789557[/snapback]

Good point, i will take it a step further. There is no other time that Paul Tagliabue would smile as much as he did after a deal had been made with the players union on collective bargaining, or after the NFL signed an extension on a tv contract. Nothing like the draft, or the fans, or anything else made him smile the same way he did when deals were made.