Im normally an optomist...but...

Tcali

I'm by no means a JP apologist, but I do get a kick out of some of the jabs he's received after this game.

He certainly made some mistakes, but he also made some big plays -- and at times showed very GOOD instincts. I am guessing by the "football instincts" comment, you are worried by the fact that he didn't "feel" the blind-side pressure that resulted in the 2 sacks and strips. I can see that maybe on the first one, because I think he did hang onto the ball too long. However, on the second one that -- gulp -- resulted in the NON-TD, there wasn't much he could do there.

There were SEVERAL times today where his mobility and ability to "feel" the pressure allowed him to escape and at least have the opportunity to throw the ball away -- or even make a play downfield. That near-Peerless connection came on such a play as did the Reed -should-have-been-a-catch play. There were times were he bought so much time, that I figured that there had to be someone that broke open, right? That may be a testimony to our receivers' routes.

I think a game like today magnified a couple of things, especially in relation to a savvy dink-and-dunk QB like Pennington. From a talent perspective there really is no comparison. In fact, in the future, bad weather situations like today could prove to be a tremendous advantage, as most NFL QBs will not be able to slice through the winds as JP did several times today. The mobility (as I mentioned) is also a clear advantage. Meanwhile, if JP playes mistake free football (as Pennington did), the Bills probably win.

I've resigned myself to realizing that this year will be spent finding out whether or not JP has "it". 3 games into the season, we still don't know, and we probably won't know until closer to the end of the season.

I'm by no means a JP apologist, but I do get a kick out of some of the jabs he's received after this game.

He certainly made some mistakes, but he also made some big plays -- and at times showed very GOOD instincts. I am guessing by the "football instincts" comment, you are worried by the fact that he didn't "feel" the blind-side pressure that resulted in the 2 sacks and strips. I can see that maybe on the first one, because I think he did hang onto the ball too long. However, on the second one that -- gulp -- resulted in the NON-TD, there wasn't much he could do there.

There were SEVERAL times today where his mobility and ability to "feel" the pressure allowed him to escape and at least have the opportunity to throw the ball away -- or even make a play downfield. That near-Peerless connection came on such a play as did the Reed -should-have-been-a-catch play. There were times were he bought so much time, that I figured that there had to be someone that broke open, right? That may be a testimony to our receivers' routes.

I think a game like today magnified a couple of things, especially in relation to a savvy dink-and-dunk QB like Pennington. From a talent perspective there really is no comparison. In fact, in the future, bad weather situations like today could prove to be a tremendous advantage, as most NFL QBs will not be able to slice through the winds as JP did several times today. The mobility (as I mentioned) is also a clear advantage. Meanwhile, if JP playes mistake free football (as Pennington did), the Bills probably win.

I've resigned myself to realizing that this year will be spent finding out whether or not JP has "it". 3 games into the season, we still don't know, and we probably won't know until closer to the end of the season.

784925[/snapback]

I wasnt focusing on the blinside hit...it was the sheer quantity of 'little' wrong decisions that add up. I hope that I am wrong and that he is successful.I like the kid.

JP doesnt  have good football instincts. I certainly hope I am wrong --but I just dont think he has what it takes to be a good QB in the NFL. I believe a lot of people on this board are really kidding themselves.

784896[/snapback]

You are right to an extent. But he has started only 11 games and such mistakes should be expected. But compared to a lot of successful QB's he is coming along very well. I mean if the Giants stucked with Eli or the 49ers with Smith when they were stinking up the joint I guess we can give the kid a little break. I mean what if JP had thrown 3 picks and we were down 42-0 but rebounded and threw 3 TDs in garbage time; JP sucks chants would be everywhere!