McCargo

Now for the Cliff Notes version backing up Pyrite's post... :blush:

Tripplett and McCargo play what is commonly known as the "3-technique" position. Here's a decent description from Big Blue Interactive, a very good Giants fan site:

Three-Technique: A misnomer as the term does not really apply to an actual technique, but rather the position of the defensive tackle at the line of scrimmage. In the 4-3 defense, the one-technique tackle lines up between the center and guard while the three-technique tackle lines up off the shoulder of the other guard. Three-technique tackles are usually quicker, more active, and athletic penetrators than their stronger, stouter one-technique counterparts. A three-technique tackle is often called an under tackle.

Williams and Anderson play "1-technique":

One-Technique: A misnomer as the term does not really apply to an actual technique, but rather the position of the defensive tackle at the line of scrimmage. In the 4-3 defense, the one-technique tackle lines up between the center and guard and is on the receiving end of a lot of double-teams in the running game. Because of this, one-technique tackles are usually big, strong, and stout, but less athletic. The other tackle (or three-technique tackle) is usually the quicker, more active penetrator. A one-technique tackle in a 4-3 defense is sometimes called a nose tackle even though most fans think of a traditional nose tackle being in a 3-4 defense.

If you go back to the season the Bills ran a 4-3 with Ted Washington, he was listed as a NT; whoever started next to him was the UT. Neither Anderson nor Williams weigh in anywhere close to Mount Washington's size, but it's the same idea. That was part of the problem between Mularkey and Sam Adams -- MM saw a NT-sized body, but Adams had the 3-technique skillset.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While there are significant differences in how the LDT and RDT play for the Bills, its basically an illusory distinction at the level fans (like me) tend to operate on.  This is because that in order for an NFL team to be successful, they simply cannot invest in patterms of play and use which we fans can see accurately or they will simply be used and abused by opposing OCs and opposing blockers.

The D has a particular base scheme which seems to generally call for our RDT (Triplett backed up by McCargo on the depth chart) to be used more as a penetrator and the LDT (Williams backed up by Anderson) to be more of a stay at home run stopper.  While this is actually the opposite of what the poster above seems to be saying.  Both views are actually fairly inconsequential to how Ferrell actually uses them so there is a big caution to take either of our views for what they are worth (which is not a whole bunch on any particular play).

Ferrell actually runs our D in the base scheme alot but must vary it because if the other team or opposing blocker can predict exactly what you are going to do on a particular play you will get killed.  Thus, there is some degree to which your RDT and LDT must be able to switch roles on particular plays so as to not become easy to predict.

This variation is not onlt true between the DTs, but as there is a lot of variation and stunting which occurs with the ends. sometimes on a particular down and distance where you are not concerned if they run up the middle, you might have a DE (usually Denny who actually lined up at DT often last year) manning the middle while one of the DTs shifts to the outside.  Many teams will not play this game much as a huge DT like Big Ted simply does not have the athleticism to stunt and go outside a lot.  However, the Bills have specifically chosen lighter weight than average DTs in the Cover 2 with the idea that there is gonna be a whole bunch of stunting going on.

In addition to the variations of roles between the DTs, AND the stunting and shifting which essentially calls for the DEs to go inside, there is also a lot of variation caused by the finally true commitment of the Bills to a rotation of DL players. Thus, simply because Triplett and Williams starts does not mean that McCargo and Anderson are relegated to garbage time.  In fact, if things work like we want these back-ups will be in for a number of critical plays as our priority is to have fresh people rather than specific people in.

In addition to these three variations in play that makes looking at any of these players as having a specific role all the time, also the opposing players make a difference.  If a particular player proves to be susceptible to the rush moves of a particular player then forget about what the depth chart says as to who plays where and who is the starter,  An example of this was Denney on Sunday,  Was he a back-up? Yes.  However, his success at getting sacks and having the athleticism to run down a Culpepper meant that he played a lot more than the #1 Kelsay.  He also ended up all over the field he sacked Culpepper on the left side of the line once teaming with Triplett, yet his next sack was a nice trip up of a scrambling Culpepper on the right side of the OL.

There simply is to much variation in the approach players take if they are going to be successful in this league.

In the big picture also, the one commitment that the DL Coach, DC and HC are likely to have is to get the 4 best DL players on the field as much as possible.  Particularly with youngsters who are getting trained, a player proves to be good but not necessarily the best player in a particular scheme, look for the scheme to be altered because in this cap constrained world you may not be able to switch players as eaily as you can alter the scheme to put the players in the best position for them to make plays.

In other words, reality is a much better descriptor of the roles than some theory about what folks are supposed to do.  The other corollary is that 2 games is way to early to even try to nail down what reality is in terms of DT use.

778997[/snapback]

I said that i wasn't sure. I stand corrected on a matter that i made an educated guess at based on Williams' size and speed as opposed to what i believed McCargo's was. MY BAD.

I said that i wasn't sure. I stand corrected on a matter that i made an educated guess at based on Williams' size and speed as opposed to what i believed McCargo's was. MY BAD.

779004[/snapback]

You were not bad at all, as I do not see myself as being correct (at least I hope I do not have the horrible burden of being "right" about something). we all are making educated guesses and if we are lucky we recieve more education about stuff which interests us.

Some seem to enjoy TSW because it confirms for them some sense that they are right about football, I actually enjoy it because it constantly educates me about this game I love. It is interesting to me that some folks seem to put such importance on proving they are right, when I find that stuff I already know bores me as I have already been there and done that. The fun part of life for me is not stuff I get right and that I know it is finding thins I do not know and learn to do better.

Now for the Cliff Notes version backing up Pyrite's post... <_<

Tripplett and McCargo play what is commonly known as the "3-technique" position. Here's a decent description from Big Blue Interactive, a very good Giants fan site:

If you go back to the season the Bills ran a 4-3 with Ted Washington, he was listed as a NT; whoever started next to him was the UT. Neither Anderson nor Williams weigh in anywhere close to Mount Washington's size, but it's the same idea. That was part of the problem between Mularkey and Sam Adams -- MM saw a NT-sized body, but Adams had the 3-technique skillset.

779000[/snapback]

Exactly right. Meathead and/or Gray had Adams miscast. Adams could not fill the role that Pat Williams played and neither could Anderson or Bannan, etc.

Now for the Cliff Notes version backing up Pyrite's post... <_<

779000[/snapback]

Figured I'd dogpile on this one with ya Lori:

When Big Ted plays in a defense, he usually can be seen playing the 0 Tech as well, which as a former center is the single scariest thing a guy that big can play: right over the Center and just destroy whatever is in his wake.