Another (Potentially) Colossal Mistake By The Refs

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No; that was a quick whistle. That call was about as bad as the blown whistle on Whitner's INT last week! And you know what, I'm SO GLAD it was! It's about time WE get a break for the officiating gods!

776778[/snapback]

I thought it was a quick whistle as well. The QB had every opportunity to protect himself by going down; that shouldn't be the refs job. Especially on what is basically a meaningless sack on 3rd down at the opponent's 40; you're essentially just giving your punter more room. Stupid play by JP; but it looked like a couple blue shirts gave up on trying to recover the ball after they heard the whistle.

It was the wrong call, primarily because it's NEVER called.

I think the ref didn't realize it was a screen pass and threw the flag. If he knew it was a screen, he would have never thrown it.

If Reed was guilty of PI on the play, 90% of screen passes would be illegal. There's no way to time your blocks with such precision, esp. on a WR screen.

I didn't think it was close, in terms of when he engaged the defender and that it was beyond the LOS.  I was more pissed about the block in the back on Welker's long KO return earlier.

776474[/snapback]

Finally someone else mentions this. DiGiorgio got pushed in the back for sure. Bastards!

There seems to be three small debates going on.. So i'll comment.

1) I definitely noticed the block in the back on the Welker return but they missed it.. oh well

2) The whistle may have been premature but the refs were trying to protect the quarterback. Regardless, let's just hope JP doesn't attempt such a stupid move again. A bill probably falls on that fumble if it's not blown dead.

3) The timing between the Reed block and Parrish reception was so miniscule. Reed had position on the CB anyways. Whether he engaged the CB a split second before Parrish had the ball or not, either way, the end result would still have been a touchdown. Therefore I'm not a big fan of the call. Especially if that line of scrimmage rule is true. I think these types of screens happen all the time where WR's engage defensive backs prematurely because there is no way for them to know when the receiver is going to catch the ball.

On another note, i'm glad San Diego beat Tennessee pretty bad. It shows the Jets really did beat a real bad team last week. Altho the Jets did hang with the Pats today, they had to do it at home. I don't see why we should lose to them at our home opener. I hope to enjoy a nice W at the Ralph next Sunday. Although I must admit I need to see a few of these solid performances bunched together before I get my hopes up too high (like every other year). Good win though!