A couple KFFL tidbits

/dev/null

Bills | Crowell could be used in three different spots

Fri, 15 Sep 2006 17:00:28 -0700

Chris Brown, of BuffaloBills.com, reports Buffalo Bills LB Angelo Crowell will start at the weakside linebacker position provided linebackers Takeo Spikes (hamstring) and John DiGiorgio dress for the game. DiGiorgio was declared inactive last week, while Spikes is battling a hamstring injury. If Spikes is out, Crowell would likely move over to the strongside, while if DiGiorgio is inactive and something happens to LB London Fletcher-Baker, Crowell would have to move to the middle linebacker position.

and a blast from the past

49ers | Jennings a game-time decision for Week 2

Fri, 15 Sep 2006 18:02:00 -0700

Matt Maiocco, of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports San Francisco 49ers OT Jonas Jennings (ankle) was limited in practice Friday, Sept. 15 and will be a game-time decision for the Week 2 game. He is probably will not play and is listed as questionable on the team's injury report.

:pirate:

This both shows the wonderful ability Crowell has to play multiple LB positions which he brings to the team. I saw one post that seemed to be based on the idea that Crowell was miscast foe use as an SLB which is why they went to Haggan and then Ellison to replace TKO. It seems to me that the decision was actually one of wanting Crowell to stay in one position at least for a game if not for the season preferably. He actually seems to have learned and understand all three LB roles since he originally was the back-up MLB to F-B in his first couple of years and learned to call signals. My since is that if F-B goes down then Crowell gets the MLB call instead of DiGrigorio anyway.

If Ellison keeps up the work he showed last weekend, even if TKO cannot go, we still have 4 LBs who can credibly start (Haggan is also a good talent who is a reasonable back-up and contributor on ST who needs to improve and has something to prove after being the apparent victim of a TD throw last week). I hope TKO can answer the call, but even if he cannot in this game it is bad but not a disaster.

No surpirse with the injury prone Jennings. I am still surprised some folks think we should have resigned him. The complaint about the Bills braintrust failing to resign OL players misses the point if it thinks this is a pro assessment or negotiating problem, it WAS a college assessment problem in that they drafted two OL players who simply were not worth re-sigining. The problem with the old braintrust was not strategic in failing to recognize the import of the OL, it was execution in that first day choices Jennings and MW and FA acquisition Teague did not cut the mustard as players at their positions.