Over-hype on the Losman safety...

Left Overture

I am tired of reading about the safety on Losman. The New England "D" turned on the jets, and our offensive line flat out missed three assignments. The kid was running for his life from the get-go.

What I would have liked to have seen would have been some sort of option screen that would have allowed him to roll out of the pocket and the endzone and use his legs to try to get to the marker.

I also didn't see one mention of a play he made earlier in the game when the ball was snapped over his head near our own goal line, and the kid ran back, got a lucky bounce, recovered the ball, and threaded one hell of a pass on the sideline for a first down.

If he was a bit shakey after that play, it was understandable.

To me it looked like McGahee was treading water after he tweaked his ankle, the coach should've spelled him more with Anthony Thomas. Willis definately looked slower after the injury.

I agree. I remember my reaction at the time was that I was glad that he protected the football and didn't turn it over down there. It wasn't like he held onto the ball too long or ran out of the endzone (like he did against TB last year) either. He had a defender in his face before he could set up, slid to his side, avoided that defender -- and then got slammed by another. Maybe he could have thrown the ball away after missing that first defender (I believe it was Warren), but he probably would have been flagged for intentional grounding and would have given up the safety anyway.

For whatever reason, the national media simply does not want to show JP any love. Maybe that will change if we start winning some games.

I agree as well. The safety was not the best called offensive play in the first place, and the offensive line gave too little protection, and there wasn't anyone in the backfield to pick up Sure, in retrospect JP should have thrown the ball away, but to do so in those circumstances would have been almost to take the snap and consider throwing it away the first option. He was much better in this game than I have ever seen him. Also as far as I know he hasn't in any way shape or form tried to place the blame for the safety and loss on anyone else.

I agree. I remember my reaction at the time was that I was glad that he protected the football and didn't turn it over down there. It wasn't like he held onto the ball too long or ran out of the endzone (like he did against TB last year) either. He had a defender in his face before he could set up, slid to his side, avoided that defender -- and then got slammed by another. Maybe he could have thrown the ball away after missing that first defender (I believe it was Warren), but he probably would have been flagged for intentional grounding and would have given up the safety anyway.

For whatever reason, the national media simply does not want to show JP any love. Maybe that will change if we start winning some games.

774373[/snapback]

The NFL has become a "Fantasy" circus. Until JP starts putting up fantasy #s he will always be treated shabbily by the NFL media......

Why is Charlie Fry and Chris Simms considered better than Losman....Both stink for their teams, but put up decent/good Fantasy #s in terms of TDs and yards

I agree as well.  The safety was not the best called offensive play in the first place, and the offensive line gave too little protection, and there wasn't anyone in the backfield to pick up Sure, in retrospect JP should have thrown the ball away, but to do so in those circumstances would have been almost to take the snap and consider throwing it away the first option.  He was much better in this game than I have ever seen him.  Also as far as I know he hasn't in any way shape or form tried to place the blame for the safety and loss on anyone else.

The Patriots have THE most confusing defense there is, especially for a young QB. The fact that JP was able to throw for 65.2% (or 66.7% if you count plays taken-away by penalty, in which JP was 1-1) under such conditions and do things like convert that 3rd down to Price (only to have it negated by a block in the back call) showed me that he's MILES ahead of where he was last year (when he threw for 37% against a depleted Pats' defense).