Yahoo! > Reggie Bush

Chilly

Sad and unnecessary.  To play for USC is a great opportunity.  To potentially have to give back the Heisman?  Ugh...  The coaches pound this into the players but it still happens.  These slimeball agents deserve to be whupped...

773597[/snapback]

The agents are crooked as hell, no doubt about it. The players at big-time college programs certainly know better...They are constantly warned/schooled/lectured about this stuff. My problem is with the families of these athletes. Why would Bush's parents accept cash and a free house from an agent/agents? The house they were living in was okay for 18 years, but when Reggie is only two years away from being a megastar multi-millionaire, they feel the need to take cash and move into a free mansion? Not smart.

We'll see what shakes out...The NCAA has had an ongoing investigation. For some reason, the investigative journalism of yahoo.com seems skeptical...

I know some of these athletes come from nothing and have lived in poverty their whole lives. When you are 19 years old, $100k for your family could look pretty good. But the Bush's seemed relatively middle class. Why put your son and his school at risk for an amount of money that he will be able to wipe his ass with in a few short years?

Best quote of the article:

"In January, according to the Times, USC offensive line coach Pat Ruel surveyed the lobby outside the football offices and saw more than a dozen unfamiliar faces.

"I know what cockroaches look like,'' Ruel told The Times. "And I know what agents look like.'' "

The colleges makes oodles of cash off these guys and they give the players a scholarship as payment, which is a win win for the school.

A good amount of these athletes come from middle class-lower class families, can you blame them if someone throws $5000 in their face??

All that aside, Bush needs to be punished, but to take a National Title away from a team because of one player is stupid.

The colleges makes oodles of cash off these guys and they give the players a scholarship as payment, which is a win win for the school.

A good amount of these athletes come from middle class-lower class families, can you blame them if someone throws $5000 in their face??

All that aside, Bush needs to be punished, but to take a National Title away from a team because of one player is stupid.

774021[/snapback]

Yeah, USC is innocent in the whole thing. :rolleyes:

Yeah, USC is innocent in the whole thing.  :rolleyes:

774095[/snapback]

And Ohio State's '03 title was "clean"...

I'm sure with enough digging this stuff is prevalent in every major program. You can say it's the responsibility of the coaches to be on top of this stuff, but is that realistic? The coach is supposed to know that an agent is paying for a player's brother to live in a beach house in Malibu? Or that his RB is getting $5000 per month from a booster? How can you police that, other than bombarding your players with information detailing the rules?

Here's when you get yourself caught- When you accept money and gifts from an agent, and then sign with somebody else. You have to know these guys are snakes. If you turn your back on them after they hook you up with cars, money, etc, they will rat you out in a second. If you find an agent you like, accept some perks, and stay with the guy, it will never become public knowledge, because the money he makes off of you as a pro will far outweigh the few grand he threw you in college.

And Ohio State's '03 title was "clean"...

I'm sure with enough digging this stuff is prevalent in every major program.  You can say it's the responsibility of the coaches to be on top of this stuff, but is that realistic?  The coach is supposed to know that an agent is paying for a player's brother to live in a beach house in Malibu?  Or that his RB is getting $5000 per month from a booster?  How can you police that, other than bombarding your players with information detailing the rules?

Here's when you get yourself caught- When you accept money and gifts from an agent, and then sign with somebody else.  You have to know these guys are snakes.  If you turn your back on them after they hook you up with cars, money, etc, they will rat you out in a second.  If you find an agent you like, accept some perks, and stay with the guy, it will never become public knowledge, because the money he makes off of you as a pro will far outweigh the few grand he threw you in college.

774130[/snapback]

I find it ridiculous that they don't get paid. A lot of these problems would go away too if that was the case. You perform a service for the University, its a job, you get paid. Sports is a business, it isn't just for fun like people had hoped back in the day.

Pay the damn players already.

I find it ridiculous that they don't get paid.  A lot of these problems would go away too if that was the case.  You perform a service for the University, its a job, you get paid.  Sports is a business, it isn't just for fun like people had hoped back in the day.

Pay the damn players already.

774166[/snapback]

They do get paid.

It's called "free tuition."

Do you honestly believe the majority of these players could get into these schools based on acedemics alone?

They are getting first-class educations for free. That's payment enough.

They do get paid.

Do you honestly believe the majority of these players could get into these schools based on acedemics alone?

774172[/snapback]

Uh no.

It's not work study, and they aren't being paid fair market value.

You know why this happens? Because they are worth a helluva lot more then free tuition.

And if you think they're getting a first-class education at any of these Universities, I've got a bridge to sell you. They are not on a typical degree plan by any stretch of the imagination.

Uh no. 

It's not work study, and they aren't being paid fair market value.

You know why this happens?  Because they are worth a helluva lot more then free tuition.

And if you think they're getting a first-class education at any of these Universities, I've got a bridge to sell you.  They are not on a typical degree plan by any stretch of the imagination.

774182[/snapback]

Maybe not at Texas. :rolleyes:

But here at RU, there are no "cake" degrees.

Maybe not at Texas.  :rolleyes:

But here at RU, there are no "cake" degrees.

774204[/snapback]

Its like that at any big, competitive school.

A question though, when you make this claim, have you been in any of the classes where the majority of the students are football players? Tthey tend to be rather easy.

Its like that at any big, competitive school.

A question though, when you make this claim, have you been in any of the classes where the majority of the students are football players?  Tthey tend to be rather easy.

774216[/snapback]

Without giving away too much (FERPA or some crap like that) yes.

The Prfo's tend to get more nasty with the Football students due to not wanting to look like they are favoring them.

I do realize this is just one school, though.

Without giving away too much (FERPA or some crap like that) yes.

The Prfo's tend to get more nasty with the Football students due to not wanting to look like they are favoring them.

I do realize this is just one school, though.

774261[/snapback]

lol FERPA is fun

when I was doing call center stuff for UT, I couldn't even confirm to a parent that their son/daughter was at the University

They do get paid.

774172[/snapback]

So what? The field hockey team gets full scholarships too. That new field hockey turf stadium was not built with money generated by the field hockey team. Neither was that new library or computer lab. First class education is great. But feed the horse a little bit. Schools are BANKING money on football and basketball players, and they are treated like expendable commodities. These athletes do MUCH more for the school than they get credit for. Slide them a few bucks.

It should be the NCAA that pays them, not the individual schools. That way it is consistent, and can be 'somewhat' regulated. Have you seen the network and ESPN contracts for televising football? Or March Madness?

The problem will never completely go away- the snake agents and boosters will still be there with the keys to an Escalade. But maybe even a little cheddar in the pocket will be enough for few of the athletes to avoid contact until it's allowed.

I agree with a lot of the comments here about athletes being paid; they are vastly under-compensated.

I also find it comical when fans, alumni, etc. criticize players for leaving school early to go pro....as if the school is anything more than a vehicle to a higher level and opportunity for serious earning.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.