All those worried about the offense

Tolstoy

While our starting offense hasn't put up a lot of points in two preseason games, there are some very encouraging signs to give us hope.

First, Bledsoe played a whole half last night and did not throw a pick, nor get sacked. This is very, very good. After all, with a good defense, we don't need him to throw for 400 yards every game. We just need him to be a careful steward of the ball--hand off the ball, make a few good throws each series, eat up the clock, and not get intercepted or sacked when we are just inside field goal range! Bledsoe deserves credit.

Second, let's not forget the two teams we played in preseason are very good teams. Denver and Tennessee are just about two of the toughest teams in the league, both of whom play very physical on defense. That our starting offense did not show a lot is not necessarily bad. They kept us in both games. I predict the offense looks much better (pointwise) against Indianapolis next week.

Third, our defense again produced turnovers last night! They may seem to have slipped a bit from their #2 status (who knows at this point), but all that (and more) is made up for with turnovers.

Fourth, special teams are starting to look special. Good special teams alone will win a couple of games for us each year.

I, for one, am hopeful.

While our starting offense hasn't put up a lot of points in two preseason games,  there are some very encouraging signs to give us hope.

First, Bledsoe played a whole half last night and did not throw a pick, nor get sacked.  This is very, very good.  After all, with a good defense, we don't need him to throw for 400 yards every game.  We just need him to be a careful steward of the ball--hand off the ball, make a few good throws each series, eat up the clock, and not get intercepted or sacked when we are just inside field goal range!  Bledsoe deserves credit.

Second, let's not forget the two teams we played in preseason are very good teams.  Denver and Tennessee are just about two of the toughest teams in the league, both of whom play very physical on defense.  That our starting offense did not show a lot is not necessarily bad.  They kept us in both games.  I predict the offense looks much better (pointwise) against Indianapolis next week.

Third, our defense again produced turnovers last night!  They may seem to have slipped a bit from their #2 status (who knows at this point), but all that (and more) is made up for with turnovers.

Fourth,  special teams are starting to look special.  Good special teams alone will win a couple of games for us each year.

I, for one, am hopeful.

3391[/snapback]

Good post. I agree with everything you said, but would like to add that I think the Bills overall are playing with more aggression. With a few exceptions, they have appeared very well prepared and eager to carry out their assignments. Bledsoe, even in only two preseason games, just does not have that deer-in-headlights, statuesque look about him. His making quicker decisions and getting rid of the ball. If we can just get some cohesion on the line, I think we have a playoff caliber team.

Good post. I agree with everything you said, but would like to add that I think the Bills overall are playing with more aggression. With a few exceptions, they have appeared very well prepared and eager to carry out their assignments. Bledsoe, even in only two preseason games, just does not have that deer-in-headlights, statuesque look about him. His making quicker decisions and getting rid of the ball. If we can just get some cohesion on the line, I think we have a playoff caliber team.

3393[/snapback]

Right, though I don't like all the personal foul penalties, they show that they were determined not to be pushed around by the Titans. Hearing the Titans whine in the papers this morning made my heart glad!

red, white and yellow!!

3398[/snapback]

I think the entire team has looked dramatically changed for the better and i am impressed. Now what happens once it gets real is left to be seen but Drew looks more measured, the running game looks to be what it was advertised to be (bruising) and the receivers look to be in the right place and where Drew expects them to be.

The defense looks at least tight and special teams have been excellent.

i hope it all translates in the regular season.

Archived