Can some explain this to me and my buddies

Favorite: Who is favored to win the game.

Point spread: The favored team is expected to win the game by the (minus) number.

Total: Total number of points scored by both teams.

Total money line: For every $1.10 you bet and win, you get $1 back.

761761[/snapback]

Ok so if you are betting $1.10 and you are only getting $1 back then you are losing 10 cents ?

ok. so the bills total line is 110 ... so if we bet $110 and the Bills lose by less than 9 or win, we will win $110 plus the money we bet so we will get back $220  - correct?

761771[/snapback]

NO!

You wouldn't bet 110. You would bet 100. If they win, you win 100. If they lose, you would lose 110. It costs 10% to lose. You are paying the bookie for the option to select either team.

NO!

You wouldn't bet 110. You would bet 100. If they win, you win 100. If they lose, you would lose 110. It costs 10% to lose. You are paying the bookie for the option to select either team.

761774[/snapback]

Oh ok ... So are the money lines always 110? What if it was 220?

Anyway. Is there anyway to earn more than $100 this week if the Bills win or another team ... there is a matchup we like this week and want to split the bet on it, but we were wondering if there was a way to make more than $100

So for all the time, but I really appreciate all of yours help

Oh ok ... So are the money lines always 110? What if it was 220?

Anyway. Is there anyway to earn more than $100 this week if the Bills win or another team ... there is a matchup we like this week and want to split the bet on it, but we were wondering if there was a way to make more than $100

So for all the time, but I really appreciate all of yours help

761776[/snapback]

Actually, what I described was a "straight bet." Money lines do not involve point spreads. Bookies set odds for the game. This is generally done in baseball.

Example: The Yankess are playing the Red Sox. The Yankees are a 7-8 favorite. This is based on a 5 dollar bet. If you bet the Yankees, you are going to lay 8-5 odds. If you take the Sox, you are getting 7-5 odds. The bookie make his profit in the middle. See now?

-110 means you bet $110 and if you win you get back 110+100=210

+110 means you bet $100 and if you win you get back 100+110=210

you can do this for $11 and get back $21.

Football uses the point spread to keep the odds at -110 for the selection of either team, so scenario #1 only applies in NFL football.

Make sense?

Actually, what I described was a "straight bet." Money lines do not involve point spreads. Bookies set odds for the game. This is generally done in baseball.

Example: The Yankess are playing the Red Sox. The Yankees are a 7-8 favorite. This is based on a 5 dollar bet. If you bet the Yankees, you are going to lay 8-5 odds. If you take the Sox, you are getting 7-5 odds. The bookie make his profit in the middle. See now?

761778[/snapback]

OK yeah I think we want a straight bet ... If we bet on the Bills $100, we will earn $100 back if the Bills lose by less than 9 points or win. Correct?

Now is there any way to make more than $100 on any one given game?

OK yeah I think we want a straight bet ... If we bet on the Bills $100, we will earn $100 back if the Bills lose by less than 9 points or win. Correct?

761782[/snapback]

This week I would guess the odds for the Bills winning straight up would be around 3 to 1. That means if you bet your $100 & the Bills win, you get $300(or 4 depending on which system is used). If the Bills lose....you lose your $100.

Australian bookies have bets this way most of the time. The lines for this weeks American Football games are not up yet though.

761782[/snapback]

....also you can box your bets.

Basically you bet that the Bills, Rams & whoever all cover the spread. The money accumulates....though you have to get every pick correct.

761782[/snapback]

1) Yes, and that same bet would cost 110 to lose. These are the best and "safest" bets.

2) There are "exotic" bets such as reverses, parlays, etc. You could pick the Bills and a points total, generally referred to as "over-under," where a points total (combined for both teams) is set by the bookie. To win, you must correctly predict both the game AND the over or under.

These are generally considered sucker bets, and the percentage that the bookie takes (commonly referred to as "vigorish") is higher. 10% is enough to give up. Most people cannot make a profit even at that because you are giving away 5% before you start.

A word of advice.....beware of game that look too "easy," such as the Bengals on Sunday. They are great and the Chiefs suck, yet KC is giving 4. I like the Chiefs in that game, because otherwise, any idiot could pick up a newspaper, find a game that looks easy, win big cash, and not work.

Another word of advice....don't bet. Enjoy the game.

1) Yes, and that same bet would cost 110 to lose. These are the best and "safest" bets.

2) There are "exotic" bets such as reverses, parlays, etc. You could pick the Bills and a points total, generally referred to as "over-under," where a points total (combined for both teams) is set by the bookie. To win, you must correctly predict both the game AND the over or under.

These are generally considered sucker bets, and the percentage that the bookie takes (commonly referred to as "vigorish") is higher. 10% is enough to give up. Most people cannot make a profit even at that because you are giving away 5% before you start.

A word of advice.....beware of game that look too "easy," such as the Bengals on Sunday. They are great and the Chiefs suck, yet KC is giving 4. I like the Chiefs in that game, because otherwise, any idiot could pick up a newspaper, find a game that looks easy, win big cash, and not work.

Another word of advice....don't bet. Enjoy the game.

761790[/snapback]

Oh I see ... well thanks for the no-betting advice but we would never bet more than we could afford and because 3 of us are splitting one bet its only about $33 a piece.