I thought Losman played pretty well against the

I know I said this before how, it's just the preseason and the 2nd Qb of the night will usually play against the 2nd and 3rd string defensive players, but JP looked pretty good out there. He was MUCH most poised than Holcomb in the pocket, he read the defense well, and he made better throws under pressure (If you want to call it that). Either way, Losman played a much better game than Holcomb did. I think this game is symbolic in a way for JP. Yeah sure he got sacked and he had 3 incompletions in a row, but I think it's given him a huge boost of confidence. One thing is that, for the amount of time JP played in the game, he threw no picks. Remember JP worked REALLY hard this offseason to improve is game and to prove he can be the starting QB. I think this game has shown how far he has come, to want to do better. Bravo JP. :D

Losman was okay, but he needs to majorly improve if we are going to go anywhere as a team this year.

742090[/snapback]

You are dreaming if you think this team is going anywhere this year. It's good to be optimistic, but lets face it, against the Panthers Offense, our defense was ehh.

I don't think we should get too ahead of ourselves. Now as you all know I am a very avid Losman advicate. Losman had a good solid showing this time, but this is exactly the type of thing that got him into trouble last year. We wrote him off as a solid starter before the season, and against the Texans, who at the time were believed to be a playoff caliber team, he had a pretty damn good showing. It is that type of "run with the last performance" attitude that got him benched last year, and pretty much everyone in Bills Nation disappointed and thinking he was surely a bust (And i don't mean Canton bust).

Just relax, he's not going to be a HOFer over night. It's going to take time, and it is exactly posts like this that will run Losman out of Buffalo, and still keep us searching for the real problem for years.

Buffalo's record this year: 5-11

The most disconcerting thing was that in addition to the 3 incompletions to start, he also missed a couple of passes early where he was not under pressure but simply misfired on the throws,

He perfomed better as the game wrnt on but to what degree this was due to him facing lesser talents it hard to say.

Jauron seemed to stick with him a bit to make sure he had some success against the scrubs to build on. He did this and showed some good pocket precense and an ability to hang in there (with good results some times but with sacks other times).

......It's good to be optimistic, but lets face it, against the Panthers Offense, our defense was ehh.

742098[/snapback]

1st drive of the 1st pre-season game, yes.....but 8 punts & 2 fumbles were their next 10 drives.

You could at least wait a week or two before you right the defense off.

1st drive of the 1st pre-season game, yes.....but 8 punts & 2 fumbles were their next 10 drives.

You could at least wait a week or two before you right the defense off.

742101[/snapback]

I'll accept. But the problem is that we are putting too much emphasis on Losman once again. Place some responsability on the other positions and other squads besides Losman and the offense.

What does everyone agree was the problem from last year in terms of Losman: "We put too much pressure on the kid going into the season".

That is the whole reason for this open QB competition at camp, is it not?

Wow... 5-11?

So losing Mularkey and his bad play calling and player relationships, getting a more mature JP to start all 16 games, adding Triplett and McCargo up front and Dante in the secondary, picking up Fowler and Reyes, getting Willis more involved, getting Royal and getting Everett healthy, getting Spikes back, and we don't improve a game?

Could be right, 5-11 could happen, but that is pretty pessimistic, and I don't understand why someone who likes the Bills enough to write about them in the preseason wouldn't want to look at some more upside. I guess you really are looking forward to that "I told you so" when all us optimists are proved wrong. This is the NFL and a lot can happen. More than 1/3rd of teams in the last six seasons coming off 5-11 seasons managed to win 10 or more games. I'm not saying we will get there, but this can be a very positive step forward in our rebuilding.

I agree of not getting ahead of ourselves with JP. I just hope they realize he is the best thing we have and he needs to play. Sitting Holcomb isn't going to cost us a Super Bowl, and if we didn't think JP had a decent shot in developing we were silly to pass on Leinart and Cutler. JP needs to start 16 games this year, and I hope that leads us to 9-7 and not 5-11. Excitement when he does well is nice, but we have to be patient and judge him on the big picture progress. QB is different from every other position on the field, and we really have to find out what we have with him this season, because if he isn't the guy we have to know by next off season.

Wow... 5-11?

So losing Mularkey and his bad play calling and player relationships, getting a more mature JP to start all 16 games, adding Triplett and McCargo up front and Dante in the secondary, picking up Fowler and Reyes, getting Willis more involved, getting Royal and getting Everett healthy, getting Spikes back, and we don't improve a game?

Could be right, 5-11 could happen, but that is pretty pessimistic, and I don't understand why someone who likes the Bills enough to write about them in the preseason wouldn't want to look at some more upside.  I guess you really are looking forward to that "I told you so" when all us optimists are proved wrong.  This is the NFL and a lot can happen.  More than 1/3rd of teams in the last six seasons coming off 5-11 seasons managed to win 10 or more games.  I'm not saying we will get there, but this can be a very positive step forward in our rebuilding.

I agree of not getting ahead of ourselves with JP.  I just hope they realize he is the best thing we have and he needs to play.  Sitting Holcomb isn't going to cost us a Super Bowl, and if we didn't think JP had a decent shot in developing we were silly to pass on Leinart and Cutler.  JP needs to start 16 games this year, and I hope that leads us to 9-7 and not 5-11.  Excitement when he does well is nice, but we have to be patient and judge him on the big picture progress.  QB is different from every other position on the field, and we really have to find out what we have with him this season, because if he isn't the guy we have to know by next off season.

742103[/snapback]

I agree with your Losman statements. Read any of my previous posts and you will see that i have always been behind Losman through this whole thing.

But the thing with being pessimistic, i have been optimistic for the past few seasons and preseasons, and it hasn't gotten us into the playoffs. So this year i am trying a reverse role of thinking by being pessimistic. That way if we make the playoffs, great, hopefully everyone else says "i told ya so", but i am also not going to be put into a position like last year, where they crush your hopes right on the television and in your own house.

I'll accept. But the problem is that we are putting too much emphasis on Losman once again. Place some responsability on the other positions and other squads besides Losman and the offense.

What does everyone agree was the problem from last year in terms of Losman: "We put too much pressure on the kid going into the season".

That is the whole reason for this open QB competition at camp, is it not?

742102[/snapback]

Also to earn the respect of his peers rather than be just handed the job.

I'd like to see JP out there with Evans, Price, Parrish & McGahee and some more group cohesion from the O-Line.

Also to earn the respect of his peers rather than be just handed the job.

I'd like to see JP out there with Evans, Price, Parrish & McGahee and some more group cohesion from the O-Line.

742108[/snapback]

Roger that. I can agree with that as well.

742108[/snapback]

I think that's what the regular season is supposed to be at this point. I am happy that he is earning his starting role and his teammates respect. Don't forget the tight ends though...they are a young quarterback's safety valve. :D

I think that's what the regular season is supposed to be at this point.  I am happy that he is earning his starting role and his teammates respect.  Don't forget the tight ends though...they are a young quarterback's safety valve.  :D

742113[/snapback]

Yeah, I've read a few comments on the lack of TE usage in the game. Does anyone know how RR looked(if he was even out there today)?

Personally, I'd have liked J.P. to start this game as opposed to next week. The "kid gloves" have to come off with him, whereby, J.P. can gauge his progress against the best. That's what he will see for 16 weeks, so there is NO TIME like the present to end this charade! The youngster simply must perform against the best this league provides. The sooner this staff does this, the better!!

Guest dog14787

I,m in P.A. so I didn't get to watch it. <_< Yes J.P. has worked very hard to improve his game. Goes to show how much better Losman will be than Holcomb if you give him the chance. A jewell in the making ;)

GO BUFFALO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Yeah, I've read a few comments on the lack of TE usage in the game.  Does anyone know how RR looked(if he was even out there today)?

742115[/snapback]

Well, we really don't have a superstar TE like Gates, but I think we will be just fine with Everett and Royal. Remember, to a young QB, the TE is a good safety option. JP will learn that soon.

I know I said this before how, it's just the preseason and the 2nd Qb of the night will usually play against the 2nd and 3rd string defensive players, but JP looked pretty good out there.  He was MUCH most poised than Holcomb in the pocket, he read the defense well, and he made better throws under pressure (If you want to call it that).  Either way, Losman played a much better game than Holcomb did.  I think this game is symbolic in a way for JP.  Yeah sure he got sacked and he had 3 incompletions in a row, but I think it's given him a huge boost of confidence.  One thing is that, for the amount of time JP played in the game, he threw no picks.  Remember JP worked REALLY hard this offseason to improve is game and to prove he can be the starting QB.  I think this game has shown how far he has come, to want to do better.  Bravo JP. ;)

742070[/snapback]

We'll have to wait and see what he can do against 1st stringers not backups and camp fodder. I am hoping he is it, or it will be a very long season again. :D