#5 pick in 14 team league

BuffOrange

I joined this league because there's more $ at stake than the peanuts my brother & friends play for.

Passing TD's are 6 points just like rushing receiving. It is a TD heavy league. 100 yd rushing and 100 yd's receiving is only awarded 3 points, with an additional point awarded after that for every 25 yards. Same with passing for 300 yards. 2 points for every 3 receptions. Start 1 QB, 2 RB's, 3 WR/TE's.

I personally feel these rules suck, but it is what it is.

I have similar feelings as the Sports Guy re: the #4-5 picks this year (they suck). I'd hate to have to chose between Portis, Barber, R. Johnson, S. Jackson...all these guys look the same to me with a probable edge to Portis.

So is Manning the no-brainer pick @ #5 given these rules? What if he is gone, would you consider taking another QB or just take Portis or would a WR even be a consideration?

Thanks

This year there is an interchangable top 3. LT, LJ, SA.

Then #4 is clearly Portis

Then a bunch of guys from there out.

#5 is a tough position IMO. If portis is there take him. If not...your guess is as good as mine. HOWEVER Manning is the incorrect pick at #5. In a 14 team league RBs are even more important. 28 RBs will start every week in your league. Once by weeks start kicking in, EVERY RUNNING BACK STARTING IN AN NFL GAME WILL BE PLAYING IN YOUR LEAGUE. There will be no spares. This includes Tennesse, Jets, 49ers and other teams where the starting job is still in the air. Someone will be thrilled having Barlow or Chris Brown starting. Someone will be thrilled their opponenet is forced to start Greg Jones because they have no other RB. You HAVE to get 2 startgin RBs, or you will be in deep sh--. Really you need 3. You cant risk taking manning then waiting and getting a couple guys later.

I joined this league because there's more $ at stake than the peanuts my brother & friends play for.

Passing TD's are 6 points just like rushing receiving. It is a TD heavy league. 100 yd rushing and 100 yd's receiving is only awarded 3 points, with an additional point awarded after that for every 25 yards. Same with passing for 300 yards. 2 points for every 3 receptions. Start 1 QB, 2 RB's, 3 WR/TE's.

I have similar feelings as the Sports Guy re: the #4-5 picks this year (they suck). I'd hate to have to chose between Portis, Barber, R. Johnson, S. Jackson...all these guys look the same to me with a probable edge to Portis.

So is Manning the no-brainer pick @ #5 given these rules? What if he is gone, would you consider taking another QB or just take Portis or would a WR even be a consideration?

Thanks

736472[/snapback]

If you only get 3 points for 100 yards rushing/receiving but 2 points per 3 receptions it sounds like you're going to need to get a guy who catches losts of balls. There would be a huge premium on guys that catch the ball out of the backfield - a guy who catches 6 balls is going to get you as many points as a guy who catches 0 but runs fo 125.

Forget who's going to put up the rushing stats - I'd say your choice is a guy who will getting passes out of the backfield.

Thanks guys - I think you're right; I overlooked the "value" consideration. Even though Manning will score more points than most every RB, the same is probably true for Billy Volek.

Jim - yeah there's an interchangable top 3 Portis then a bunch of guys. I really don't think I can convince myself to take Tiki Barber or Rudi Johnson. Tiki is 30 and won't match last year plus Brandon Jacobs gets a lot of goaline carries. Chris Perry will spell Rudi in passing situations. I'm not sure either of these guys will be much better than guys I could find in the 2nd/3rd round like McGahee or Westbrook. Actually, Westbrook would probably be a nice sleeper pick because of the point Avenger brought up. Along similar lines, Rudi may be pretty much worthless.

Maybe I'll be able to work out a trade-down or something. If not I'm leaning towards Ronnie Brown or Stephen Jackson or even Lamont Jordan who catches a lot of balls or should I just take Barber? God the #5 pick sucks :D

Thanks guys - I think you're right; I overlooked the "value" consideration.  Even though Manning will score more points than most every RB, the same is probably true for Billy Volek. 

Jim - yeah there's an interchangable top 3 Portis then a bunch of guys.  I really don't think I can convince myself to take Tiki Barber or Rudi Johnson.  Tiki is 30 and won't match last year plus Brandon Jacobs gets a lot of goaline carries.  Chris Perry will spell Rudi in passing situations.  I'm not sure either of these guys will be much better than guys I could find in the 2nd/3rd round like McGahee or Westbrook.  Actually, Westbrook would probably be a nice sleeper pick because of the point Avenger brought up.  Along similar lines, Rudi may be pretty much worthless. 

Maybe I'll be able to work out a trade-down or something.  If not I'm leaning towards Ronnie Brown or Stephen Jackson or even Lamont Jordan who catches a lot of balls or should I just take Barber?  God the #5 pick sucks  :D

736754[/snapback]

Its been my experience that in leagues with points awarded for receptions Westbrook is a top scorer year after year, but he's a bit under the radar because he doesn't rush for 100+ week in and week out (and most fantasy sources don't have him ranked highly because they assume a more conventional scoring system). The key to winning is understanding your scoring system, not picking someone who's projected to do well in another system.

Thanks

736472[/snapback]

I think you'd have to give serious consideration to taking Peyton at #5 if Portis and the big three are gone. I know conventional fantasy wisdom says otherwise, but with the league weighted that much towards QB's, I think the smart play is to take the guy who is most likely to lead the whole league in scoring and who doesn't really ever get hurt. There's so much more risk with a Barber (400+ touches last year) or a Johnson (bad knee), and there's no worse position than being on a guess between four or five guys in a fantasy draft. You want to have conviction on your first roudn guy that he's a good value for the spot he's in; those guys just aren't going to do that for you and if you choose incorrectly, the league might be over for you real early because the guy at 24 isn't going to be incredible. You will be able to spot in a medium range RB later in round two, and all it takes is one hit on a late round RB flier and you'll be well positioned.

The fact is that the #5 hole is a bad spot to be in the first place. The top three are in great shape; the 12-14 guys will have a chance to take an attractive middle of the pack running back and one of the WR studs. Manning's going to have weeks in this format where is outscores the other two RB; I'd just accept your position and take the proverbial money.

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished - how'd I do? Adding to the weirdness is that the order of picks in odd # rounds were random so I got screwed plus you must pick 2 K's, 2 D's, 2 QB's...standard lineups except WR's can sub for TE's. Think I did well given the circumstances. Manning was taken at #4 fwiw; couldn't pull the trigger on Portis.

QB:

Brees (8)

Vick (9)

RB:

Jordan (1)

McGahee (2)

T. Jones (7)

WR:

Ward (3)

Horn (4)

Driver (5)

Evans (6)

K:

J. Reed (10)

Carney (13)

D:

Ravens (11)

Vikings (12)

Just finished - how'd I do?  Adding to the weirdness is that the order of picks in odd # rounds were random so I got screwed plus you must pick 2 K's, 2 D's, 2 QB's...standard lineups except WR's can sub for TE's.  Think I did well given the circumstances.  Manning was taken at #4 fwiw; couldn't pull the trigger on Portis.

QB:

Brees (8)

Vick (9)

RB:

Jordan (1)

McGahee (2)

T. Jones (7)

WR:

Ward (3)

Horn (4)

Driver (5)

Evans (6)

K:

J. Reed (10)

Carney (13)

D:

Ravens (11)

Vikings (12)

761447[/snapback]

I think your WRs are great (although you have to wonder about HW this week with his hammy, no BR, and they are in a run first offense). Your RBs are great too. Thomas Jones was just named the starter for week 1, and WM and Jordan are going to have better years than last.

I would be a little worried about my QBs. Brees is coming off an injury, in a new offense with a first year head coach, and the large expectations that come with signing a big contract in the offseason. Vick may end up being your starter when all is said and done. Just my honest opinion.

I think your WRs are great (although you have to wonder about HW this week with his hammy, no BR, and they are in a run first offense).  Your RBs are great too.  Thomas Jones was just named the starter for week 1, and WM and Jordan are going to have better years than last. 

I would be a little worried about my QBs.  Brees is coming off an injury, in a new offense with a first year head coach, and the large expectations that come with signing a big contract in the offseason.  Vick may end up being your starter when all is said and done.  Just my honest opinion.

761497[/snapback]

Yeah I don't love my QB's but I waited because there's Manning then Palmer/Brady and basically a bunch of guys after that who I don't think are that much better, so not bad value for the 8th/9th rounds IMO. Only guy I would've loved to have was Bulger who was taken a few spots ahead of me; maybe I should've taken him in the 7th instead of T. Jones. As far as my starter it'll just be week-to-week pending matchups.

Not really sure who to play @ RB/WR this week. I know Ward doesn't look like he's going to have a big game but I still think I have to play him over Evans until JP proves something.

T. Jones has a much better matchup vs. GB than Jordan does vs. SD but can I really sit my #1 pick to start the season?

Agonizing decisions already :w00t:

Yeah I don't love my QB's but I waited because there's Manning then Palmer/Brady and basically a bunch of guys after that who I don't think are that much better, so not bad value for the 8th/9th rounds IMO.  Only guy I would've loved to have was Bulger who was taken a few spots ahead of me; maybe I should've taken him in the 7th instead of T. Jones.  As far as my starter it'll just be week-to-week pending matchups.

Not really sure who to play @ RB/WR this week.  I know Ward doesn't look like he's going to have a big game but I still think I have to play him over Evans until JP proves something. 

T. Jones has a much better matchup vs. GB than Jordan does vs. SD but can I really sit my #1 pick to start the season?

Agonizing decisions already  :w00t:

761519[/snapback]

HW over Evans is definitely a tough decision to make. I think I would probably go with Evans if I were you. I am kinda in the same predicament. I have to start 3 WRs and my recievers are as follows:

T Holt Den

Roy Williams Sea

L Evans @ NE

D Driver Chi

E Kennison Cin

K Curtis Den

I'm kinda partial to Evans and I think the Bills amy be playing from behind which may mean more opportunities for him, but Driver put up some ggod stats (14/171) last year against Chi.

I am torn!!!

Don't want to start another thread but this league is pretty much the complete opposite of the aforementioned. 8 teams, only start 1 RB which is actually kinda cool since it makes the early picks a lot less predictable which means some of these picks aren't really the steals they may appear to be. There's a ton of good players who went undrafted. I had the #6 pick.

QB:

Palmer

Delhomme

RB:

R. Johnson

Jordan

Bush

Addai

WR:

Harrison

R. Moss

R. Williams

Evans

R. Brown

TE:

Davis

Watson

K:

Vinaterri

Stover

D:

Jaguars

At first I hated it but I think I have the best QB's, best WR's and best kicker.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.