Got the story on Spikes' and Crowell's positions

I e-mailed Chris Brown and this is what he said:

I was initially thrown off about the linebacker situation because when I asked Takeo about playing the strong side he insisted he was still the weak side LB. But that's not what I was seeing on the field. I wanted to take him at his word, but after talking to him again he admitted he is on the strong side.

We updated our depth chart immediately, so hopefully you saw that change shortly after you sent me this email. I actually think this is a good move by the staff. Angelo Crowell is faster and quicker than Spikes, especially after the Achilles injury so keeping Crowell on the weak side is smart because he'll be more effective in coverage.

Spikes on the strong side won't be a problem. The position responsibilities aren't as dramatically different in this system and he told me he played there early in his career in Cincy.

So Spikes IS the strong-side LB and Crowell the weak-side LB. Good because that makes perfect sense.

The interesting thing is what this means about the back-ups, Former starter Posey is the back-up for Crowell and this makes sense and will be good for the Bills if this holds true. Ezekial is listed as the back-up to Fletcher and I doubt this and hope that traded for forner MLB starter Watsib takes the #2 job, Haggan is the back-up for TKO which might work but I actually prefer Posey to Haggan as the #2 SLB.

I would guess that Stamer and Ellison also make this squad which brings us to 8 LBs, but Wendell Humter is apparently having a good camp in this first week so because LBs demographically fit for ST roles maybe we end up with 9 but i doubt this.

The interesting thing is what this means about the back-ups,  Former starter Posey is the back-up for Crowell and this makes sense and will be good for the Bills if this holds true.  Ezekial is listed as the back-up to Fletcher and I doubt this and hope that traded for forner MLB starter Watsib takes the #2 job, Haggan is the back-up for TKO which might work but I actually prefer Posey to Haggan as the #2 SLB.

I would guess that Stamer and Ellison also make this squad which brings us to 8 LBs, but Wendell Humter is apparently having a good camp in this first week so because LBs demographically fit for ST roles maybe we end up with 9 but i doubt this.

735619[/snapback]

wasn't there also some talk about using Posey as a DE?

wasn't there also some talk about using Posey as a DE?

735621[/snapback]

I think that's what fans and media said might be a good plan, but Jauron has stated there are no plans of that taking place in the near future.

The interesting thing is what this means about the back-ups,  Former starter Posey is the back-up for Crowell and this makes sense and will be good for the Bills if this holds true.  Ezekial is listed as the back-up to Fletcher and I doubt this and hope that traded for forner MLB starter Watsib takes the #2 job, Haggan is the back-up for TKO which might work but I actually prefer Posey to Haggan as the #2 SLB.

735619[/snapback]

I would expect Posey to be released if he does indeed get beat out. His salary is as a starter, not back-up. This would be a good thing all the way around.

I would expect Posey to be released if he does indeed get beat out. His salary is as a starter, not back-up. This would be a good thing all the way around.

735676[/snapback]

I don't remember it offhand, but I think it costs almost as much to cut him than to keep him. Besides he is still starter worthy, just not nearly as worthy as the other 3.

735676[/snapback]

The debate about how good Posey or whether there is some scheme or role which puts him to a use almost all fans would be satisfied with is academic until there is more certainty about TKO's recovery.

Its a great sign that he is suited up and working out though little is certain unitl he and the Bills are comfortable with him taking some hits. That apparenly will not happen until late in training camp and only in practice if at all.

Even folks who hate Posey were not campaigning for him to be sat down for Haggan or Stamer last year, and it simply remains to be shown on the field of play what he can do, whjat Watson can do and how he stacks up against Stamer and Haggan.

We are enough under the cap that if there is a problem it may be that we are forced to spend more money by the CBA rather than butting up against it so I doubt that $1.3 million is going to make a driving difference for this team unless Ralph is forcing them to save every nickle they can.

We'll simply see what the reality is about TKO achlles tendon and what folks's opinons are about Posey's play.

I e-mailed Chris Brown and this is what he said:

So Spikes IS the strong-side LB and Crowell the weak-side LB.  Good because that makes perfect sense.

735557[/snapback]

Indeed, having Crowell starting (after he earned it) is a smart move. This goes to show that the new regime has watched film and is starting to grade players accordingly.

Indeed, having Crowell starting (after he earned it) is a smart move.  This goes to show that the new regime has watched film and is starting to grade players accordingly.

Sounds like it and there's no reason they shouldn't make the moves they feel are best for the team. The new regime has NO allegiance to any player, with the possible exception of those they drafted, signed, and re-signed.

Good post! I would also add that TKO's recovery really won't be complete until he takes some hits "for real" in a game. If he makes it through some preseason action against a first team offense, even if it's for just a series, I'll feel better.

The debate about how good Posey or whether there is some scheme or role which puts him to a use almost all fans would be satisfied with is academic until there is more certainty about TKO's recovery.

Its a great sign that he is suited up and working out though little is certain unitl he and the Bills are comfortable with him taking some hits.  That apparenly will not happen until late in training camp and only in practice if at all.

Even folks who hate Posey were not campaigning for him to be sat down for Haggan or Stamer last year, and it simply remains to be shown on the field of play what he can do, whjat Watson can do and how he stacks up against Stamer and Haggan.

We are enough under the cap that if there is a problem it may be that we are forced to spend more money by the CBA rather than butting up against it so I doubt that $1.3 million is going to make a driving difference for this team unless Ralph is forcing them to save every nickle they can.

We'll simply see what the reality is about TKO achlles tendon and what folks's opinons are about Posey's play.

735724[/snapback]