about Kings artical on TBD front page

I disagree with this. First of all, some mocks are better than others. That being said, many mocks are produced by people who are intimately close to the industry. They speak to teams year-round and in a sense, know where players will fall in terms of pick #.

Take a look at the mocks... for the most part projected mid first rounders ended up becoming projected mid first rounders.

Projected top 10 picks, for the most part were top 10 picks.

Where there exceptions? Sure... but for the most part, they did predict to that extend fairly well.

This statement is wrong, none of the mock drafts is not written by real football scouts or based on real draft boards.

688535[/snapback]

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever traded stocks before? Are you familiar with earnings estimates? They are based on consensus estimates by analysts. Usually, their estimates are pretty close. Do analysts actually run the companies behind them? Are they CEOs and CFOs? NO!

Contrary to what you believe, this is not rocket science.

In this post, you still emphasize consensus, which means nothing for real draft. As I said, NFL draft is not a beauty contest, it's about professional scouting. Besides, the consensus of mock drafts has nothing to do with the consensus of NFL teams.

This statement is wrong, none of the mock drafts is written by real football scouts or based on real draft boards.

688535[/snapback]

Do you want to waste time on this? Ok, in your last post, you had "No its because......", it should be "it's because......". Do you want more examples? Make sure you're using English first.

Nice comeback.  :)

688496[/snapback]

You know, hate and disgust aren't that far from love and lust. Two weeks in the Bahamas together might just cure what ails you!! If you guys met you might even end up liking each other. Take Care

I disagree with this.  First of all, some mocks are better than others.  That being said, many mocks are produced by people who are intimately close to the industry.  They speak to teams year-round and in a sense, know where players will fall in terms of pick #.

Take a look at the mocks... for the most part projected mid first rounders ended up becoming projected mid first rounders. 

Projected top 10 picks, for the most part were top 10 picks.

Where there exceptions? Sure... but for the most part, they did predict to that extend fairly well.

688544[/snapback]

I disagree with your statement. No matter how close these people are to the industry, they are not close to all 32 teams. Besides, they don't have access to all the draft board and it's impossible for them to scout the whole draft class.

It's not hard to make most draft picks right, many TSW members did this. But what did these people base to make mock draft? Mostly media and other mock drafts. Some of the people might watch few video clips, but they're not real scouts.

Have you ever traded stocks before?  Are you familiar with earnings estimates?  They are based on consensus estimates by analysts.  Usually, their estimates are pretty close.  Do analysts actually run the companies behind them?  Are they CEOs and CFOs?  NO!

Contrary to what you believe, this is not rocket science.

688546[/snapback]

Thanks, I did trade stocks and earned some money.

It doesn't need a rocket scienciest to know it's impossible for one person to scout the whole draft class. Each stock analyst usually foucses on several stocks, not all of them. Besides, like mock drafts, there're many exceptions to show analysts were wrong, you can not use the analysis to guarantee earning money. Thus, using mock drafts to say a player would be drafted in certain picks is wrong.

Certainly.

Point I was making was more about earnings estimates. Taking the average of all analysts estimates generally puts you in the right ball park of what a company will earn. Likewise, taking the average of all mock drafts will likely tell you in general where a player will be picked.

In any case, we're getting into semantics here and it's not that productive. I just feel the Bills should have taken more risk in this draft, given that they were a 5-11 team. If the Bills' brass did actually pass on that trade, I feel it was the wrong move, considering the numerous holes on the team and the depth of the draft.

Nevertheless, Whitner is a decent player... just not at #8 IMO.

We happen to disagree.

Case closed as far as I am concerend.

Thanks, I did trade stocks and earned some money.

It doesn't need a rocket scienciest to know it's impossible for one person to scout the whole draft class. Each stock analyst usually foucses on several stocks, not all of them. Besides, like mock drafts, there're many exceptions to show analysts were wrong, you can not use the analysis to guarantee earning money. Thus, using mock drafts to say a player would be drafted in certain picks is wrong.

688573[/snapback]

Certainly.

Point I was making was more about earnings estimates.  Taking the average of all analysts estimates generally puts you in the right ball park of what a company will earn.  Likewise, taking the average of all mock drafts will likely tell you in general where a player will be picked. 

688581[/snapback]

I don't think this is a good example. Let me adjust it.

Most of the analysts are working for stock analysis companies, which are like NFL franchises trying to evaluate college prospects (earnings estimates) and these analysts are like scouts. On the other hand, mock drafts are more like the analysis done by amateur analysts who not only aren't professional but also base their analysis mostly on media and public reports.

The consensus of the amateur analysis may be the same as the professional analysts' in some cases, but may also be different in others.