Lindy Ruff nominated for coach of the year

The voters will go against Thornton because of players like Cheechoo and Marleau. I'd love to see Thornton win just for the reaction from Bruins fans, but its not going to happen.

Didn't they have one of the highest payrolls?

684081[/snapback]

What does that have to do with it? This is the new salary cap NHL. The Rangers had a few experienced players up front including one superstar in Jagr.

Lundqvist went into the season unproven as a rookie. Renney took a team that was picked to finish last in some publications and guided them to 100 points. And if not for a slew of injuries, they win the Atlantic and put up a better fight in the first round.

Also, Prucha, Moore, Hollweg, Tyutin were all rookies. He also got the most out of unproven players such as Blair Betts, Jason Ward and even Marcel Hossa.

They were a flawed team and it caught up in the end. But with what they had to work with (blueline was not what i'd call standout), Renney got the most out of them.

All that said, I'd like to see Laviolette or Ruff win it. Laviolette had two unproven goalies and his team was also picked near the bottom. He helped change the attitude in Carolina and turned them into a very exciting attack team. Ruff did an outstanding job guiding Buffalo back to the postseason. But if you looked at their team on paper (especially up front), it was well suited for the new NHL. With speed and underrated talent such as Briere, Afinogenov, Drury, Hecht and Connolly, Buffalo was not as much of an underdog to make the playoffs. I thought they'd surprise some people and that's just what happened.

So, if I were handing it out, it would go to Laviolette.